Revival of the Relics : How to Find Gold in the Brand Cemetery?
Corporate India is witnessing a kind of "Retro Revolution" in recent times. The successful comeback of several retro brands, both in India and abroad provided a new impetus or 'mojo' to the Indian corporations who are vying with each other to revive the long forgotten brands. The new found love of corporations for the brand revival has generated a considerable interest amongst academicians and brand management practitioners. This is because several national and international empirical examples reveal that it is not easy to pick the right brand for revival amongst the forgotten brands. On the other hand, it is very risky, complex and cumbersome to revive the brands, especially when they inherit loads of negative baggage. Considering the complexities and challenges involved in the brand revival, the present paper offers techniques for identifying the right brand or winner amongst the long forgotten brands. It also provides strategies for the successful revival of old brands in the Indian landscape. Finally, the findings and suggestions of the study help to fill the gap in the academic literature and guide practitioners of brand management to adopt successful strategies in the art and practice of retro brand management. (original abstract)
- Aaker, D.A. (1991), Managing Brand Equity: Capitalizing on the value of a brand name. New York: The Free Press.
- Arnould, E., (2005), Animating the big middle, Journal of Retailing 81, 2, pp 89-96.
- Baker, S., Kennedy, F. (1994), Death by nostalgia: a diagnosis of context specific cases, Advances in Consumer Research, 21, pp 380-387.
- Baumgartner, H.(1992), 'Remembrance of things past: music, autobiographical memories and emotions', Advances in Consumer Research,19, p.p. 613-620.
- Bellman, L., M. (2005), 'Entrepreneurs: Invent a new brand name or revive an old one?', Business Horizons, 48, p.p. 215-222.
- Davis, Fred (1979), Yearning for Yesterday: A Sociology of Nostalgia. New York: The Free Press.
- Dever, R., Wallin, M., Fergus, A., (2010), We can remember it for you Wholesale: Nostalgic Hyperrality and the Extended Self in Marketing Strategy, Not avail.
- Franklin, Adrian (2002), "Consuming Design: Consuming Retro," in The Changing Consumer: Markets and Meanings, Steven Miles, Alison Anderson, and Kevin Meethan, eds. London: Routledge, 90-103.
- Goulding, C., 2002, 'An exploratory study of age related vicarious nostalgia and aesthetic consumption', Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 29, pp 542-546, 2002.
- Guiot, D., Roux, D. (2010), 'A second-hand shoppers' motivation scale: Antecedents, consequences and implications for retailers', Journal of Retailing, 86, pp 355-371.
- Haig, Matt (2003), Brand failures: the truth about the 100 biggest branding mistakes of all time, London: Kogan Page.
- Havlena, W., J., Holak, S., L. (1991), 'The Good Old Days: Observation on nostalgia and its role in consumer behaviour', Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 18, p.p. 323-329.
- Holak, S., L., Mateev, A., V., Havlena, W., J. (2007), 'Nostalgia in post-socialist Russia: Exploring applications to advertising strategy',Journal of Business Research, 60, pp 649-655.
- Holbrook, M., B. (2006), 'Consumption experience, customer value and subjective personal introspection: An illustrative photographic essay', Journal of Business Research, 59, pp 714-725.
- Holbrook, M., Schindler, R., M. (2003), 'Nostalgic bonding: exploring the role of nostalgia in the consumption experience', Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 3, pp 107-134.
- Holbrook, M., B. (1993), 'Nostalgia and consumption preferences: some emerging patterns of consumer tastes', Journal of Consumer Research, 20, pp 245-356.
- Hoover (2008), Eastman Kodak Company Profile: History. Retrieved April 9, 2008 from Hoovers Online Database.
- Keller, K. L. (1999), 'Managing Brands for the Long Run: Brand Reinforcement and Revitalization Strategies', California Management Review, 41(3), 102-124.
- Kiley, David (2007), "Ford Goes Back to the Future", in Business Week.
- Keller (1998), Strategic Brand Management: Building, Measuring, and Managing Brand Equity, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Kwortnik, R., J., Ross, W., T. (2007), 'The role of positive emotions in experiential decisions', International Journal of Research Marketing, 24, pp 324-335.
- LaTour, K., LaTour, M., S., Zinkhan, G., M. (2010), 'Coke is it: How stories in childhood memories illuminate an icon', Journal of Business Research, 63, pp 328-336.
- Muehling, D., D., Sprott, D., E. (2004), The power of reflection - an empirical examination on nostalgia advertising effects, Journal of Advertising, 33 (3), 25-35.
- Norman, D., A. (2004), Emotional design: why we love (or hate) everyday things, New York, Basic books.
- Nikolay (2011) "Nostalgia as a Factor in Brand Revival: The Case of Socialism Related Branding in Bulgaria" Masters Dissertation, University of Wales Institute, Cardiff, 2011.
- Palmer, C. (1999), The high-risk, big-reward world of brand revitalization, Beverage World, 118 (1671), p. 96.
- Pascal, V., J., Sprott, D., E., Muehling, D., D, (2002), The influence of evoked nostalgia on consumer's response to advertising: an exploratory study, Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising, 25 (1), pp 39-49.
- Rutherford, J., Shaw E., (2011), What was old is new again: the History of Nostalgia as a Buying Motive in Consumption Behaviour.
- Semans, D. (2004). The brand you save. Marketing Management, 13 (3), 29-32.
- Stem, Barbara B. (1992), "Historical and Personal Nostalgia in Advertising Text: The Fin de Siecle Effect, " Journal of Advertising, 21 (4), 11-22.
- Stem, Barbara B. (1992), "Historical and Personal Nostalgia in Advertising Text: The Fin de Siecle Effect," Journal of Advertising, 21 (4), 11-22.
- Stephen Brown, Robert V. Kozinets, and John F. Sherry, Jr. "Teaching Old Brands New Tricks: Retro Branding and the Revival of Brand Meaning," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 67, (July 2003), 19-33.
- Thomson, L., MacInnis, D.J., Park, C.,W. (2005), The ties that bind: measuring the strength of consumers' emotional attachment to brands, Journal of Consumer Psychology, 15 (1), p.p. 77- 91.
- Unger, D., McConocha, M., Faier, A (1991), The use of nostalgia in Television advertising: A content analysis, Journalism Quarterly, 83 (3), pp 345-353.
- Wansink, B. (1997), Making old brand new, American Demographics, 19 (12), pp 53-58.
- Wallendorf, M., Arnould, E.J., (1998), "My favorite things": a cross - cultural inquiry into object, attachment, possessiveness and social linkage, Journal of Consumer Research, 14 (4), p.p. 531-578.
- Xue, H., Woolley, M., 2009, Collective memory and nostalgia, A new perspective on affective design strategy for the Chinese market, not avail.
- Yani-de-Soriano, M., Foxall, G., R. (2006), 'The emotional power of places: The fall and rise of dominance in retail research', Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 13, pp 403-416.
- Kevin Lane Keller (2008), Strategic Brand Management: Building, Measuring and Managing Brand Equity, Pearson Publications 3rd Editon pp 599-608.