Keep Trying? Polish failures and half-successes in social pacting
Social dialogue in post-1989 Poland has followed a long and curvy road. Introduction of tripartism, establishment of social dialogue institutions and conclusion of the 'Pact on the Transformation of State Enterprise' in 1993 propelled high hopes and expectations towards the domestic mutation of neocorporatism. In the following years, however, social dialogue in Poland would not produce another social pact, despite the fact that tripartite institutions have been working on regular basis and number of minor agreements have been consensually reached. The overall reception of Polish social dialogue both locally and internationally has been mixed with negative opinions prevailing. The article aims to show that such dismissive views are oversimplified by providing an account of obstacles, functions, chances and achievements social dialogue has had in Poland in comparison to western countries that did sign social pacts. (original abstract)
- Amsden, A., Kochanowicz J., Taylor L. (1994), The Market meets its match: restructuring the economies of Eastern Europe, Cambridge (MA): Harvard University Press.
- Avdagic, S. (2005), State-Labor Relations in East-Central Europe: Explaining Variations in Union Effectiveness, "Socio-Economic Review", 3.
- Avdagic, S. (2006), One Path or Several? Understanding the Varied Enactment of Tripartism in New European Capitalisms, Discussion Paper, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies, Cologne, 06/5.
- Baccaro, L., Lim, S. (2007), Social Pacts as Coalitions of the Weak and Moderate: Ireland, Italy and South Korea in Comparative Perspective, "European Journal of Industrial Relations", 13, 1.
- Bohle, D., Greskovits, B. (2006), Capitalism without Compromise: Strong Business and Weak Labour in Eastern Europes New Transnational Industries, "Studies in Comparative International Development", 41, 1.
- Bruszt, L., Stark D. (1998), Postsocialist Pathways: Transforming Politics and Property in East Central Europe. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Calmfors, L., Driffi ll J. (1988), Bargaining Structure, Corporatism and Macroeconomic Performance, Economic Policies 6.
- Długosz, D. (2005), System dialogu społecznego w Polsce w latach 2001-2003. Analiza uczestnika, Polityka Społeczna 5/6.
- Employment and Social Aff airs, DG (2001), Preparing for Enlargement: Our Joint Responsibility, European Social Dialogue Newsletter, special issue. Brussels.
- Fajertag, G., Pochet P. (eds) (1997), Social Pacts in Europe. Brussels: ETUI.
- Fajertag, G., Pochet P. (eds) (2000) Social Pacts in Europe. New Dynamics. Brussels: ETUI.
- Gardawski, J. (1996), Polands Industrial Workers. Warszawa: Friedrich Ebert Stift ung.
- Gardawski, J. (2001), Związki zawodowe na rozdrożu. Warszawa: ISP.
- Hassel, A. (2006), Wage-Setting, Social Pacts and the Euro, Amsterdam: Amsterdam UP.
- Hausner, J. (2007), Pętle rozwoju. O polityce gospodarczej lat 2001-2005. Warszawa: Scholar.
- Léonard, E. (2005), Governance and Concerted Regulation of Employment in Europe, European Journal of Industrial Relations, 11, 3.
- Mahoney, J., Rueschemeyer D. (eds) (2003), Comparative Historical Analysis in the Social Sciences. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Meardi, G. (2002), The Trojan Horse for the Americanization of Europe? Polish Industrial Relations Toward the EU, European Journal of Industrial Relations, 8, 1.
- Meardi, G. (2006), Social Pacts on the Road to EMU: A Comparison of the Italian and Polish Experiences, Economic and Industrial Democracy, 27, 2.
- Meardi, G. (2007), More Voice aft er more Exit? Unstable Industrial Relations in Central Eastern Europe, Industrial Relations Journal, 38, 6.
- Meardi, G. (2007), Multinationals in the New EU Member States and the Revitalisation of Trade Unions, Debatte. Journal of Contemporary Central and Eastern Europe, 15, 2.
- Michnik, A. (1985), Takie czasy... Rzecz o kompromisie. London: Aneks.
- Ost, D. (2000), Illusory Corporatism in Eastern Europe: Neoliberal Tripartism and Postcommunist Class Identities, Politics and Society 28.
- Ost, D. (2005), Th e Defeat of Solidarity. Anger and Politics in Postcommunist Europe. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- Ost, D. (2006), After Postcommunism: Legacies and the Future of Unions in Eastern Europe, in C. Phelan (Ed.), The Future of Organised Labour. London: Peter Lang.
- Regini, M. (2003), Tripartite Concertation and Varieties of Capitalism, European Journal of Industrial Relations 9, 3.
- Wright, E.O. (2000), Working-Class Power, Capitalist-Class Interests, and Class Compromise, American Journal of Sociology 105, 4.