Econometric Models and Data Processing Framework for Monitoring of Youth Labor Market in Poland
This article addresses the issue of econometric approaches and necessary data support systems for monitoring of youth labor market in Poland. Based on the panel data of 16 voivodeships for the 2000-2010 period, it is established that higher education is the factor behind a decrease in the youth unemployment rate, regardless of the type of the institution - public or private. While there is a standard inverse relationship between the output growth and youth unemployment, it is likely that higher investment rate has an opposite effect. Our analysis highlights importance of several key policy issues to addressing current high youth unemployment rate in Poland, as educational mismatch or job search problems. In this regard, necessary data processing framework is outlined. (original abstract)
-  Bivand P., Gardiner L., Whitehurst D., Wilson T. (2011) Youth unemployment: A million reasons to act? Centre for Economic & Social Inclusion.
-  Choudhry M., Marelli E., and Signorelli M. (2010), Youth Unemployment and the Impact of Financial Crises, XXV Convegno Nazionale di Economia del Lavoro Università degli Studi G. D'Annunzio (Chieti-Pescara, September 9-10 2010).
-  Crowley L., Jones K., Cominetti N., and Gulliford J. (2013) International Lessons: Youth unemployment in the global context, Lancaster University.
-  Dietrich H. (2012) Youth Unemployment in Europe: Theoretical Considerations and Empirical Findings, Berlin: Friedrich Ebert Stiftung.
-  Jimeno J., and Rodríguez-Palenzuela D. (2003) Youth Unemployment in the OECD: Demographic Shifts, Labour Market Institutions, and Macroeconomic Shocks, ENEPRI Working Paper No. 19.
-  Kabaklarli E., Hazel P., and Buluş A. (2011) Economic Determinants of Turkish Youth Unemployment Problem: Cointegration Analysis, International Conference On Applied Economics - ICOAE 2011, 267─272.
-  Marcus R., and Gavrilovic M. (2010) The Impacts of the Economic Crisis on Youth Review of Evidence, London: Overseas Development Institute.
-  Neumark D., and Wascher W. (2004) Minimum wages, labor market institutions, and youth employment: a cross-national analysis, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, vol. 57(2), 223─248.
-  Polakowski M. (2012) Youth Unemployment in Poland, Berlin: Friedrich Ebert Stiftung.
-  Scarpetta S., Sonnet A., and Manfredi T. (2010) Rising Youth Unemployment During the Crisis: How to Prevent Negative Long-Term Consequences on a Generation?, OECD Social, Employment and Migration Papers No. 106, Paris: OECD.
-  Zell S. (1978) The Minimum Wage and Youth Unemployment, Economic Review, Kansas: Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, 3-16.