Finer Investigation into Role
This paper discusses three issues about role: (1) continuity of role playing in the case of role change, (2) role as specification and (3) vacant role. As to (1) we introduce decomposition of a role into two subroles: post subrole and constituent subrole. The latter is crucial for coping with the issue of continuity. The idea of role as a specification is proposed after detailed discussion about what a role should be. Finally, the third issue is addressed by introducing a new idea of virtual player to harmonize all the new ideas proposed in this paper. A preliminary result of formalization of the new theory is presented.(original abstract)
- Chernuchin, D. & Dittrich, G. (2005): Role Types and their Dependencies as Components of Natural Types, Proceedings of the 2005 AAAI Fall Symposium 'Roles, an Interdisciplinary Perspective: Ontologies, Languages, and Multiagent Systems' Technical Report FS-05-08, Arlington, Virginia, pp.39-46.
- Colman,A., & Han, J. (2007). Roles, players and adaptable organizations, Applied Ontology 2, 105-126.
- Guarino, N. (1992): Concepts, attributes and arbitrary relations: Some linguistic and ontological criteria for structuring knowledge bases. Data & Knowledge Engineering 8(2), 249-261.
- Guarino, N. (2013): Artefactual systems, missing components, and replaceability, Chapter 11, Artefact Kinds: Ontological and the Human-Made World. Syntese Library, Springer (to appear).
- Kozaki, K. and et al. (2002). An Environment for Building/Using Ontologies Based on a Fundamental Consideration of "Role" and "Relationship", In Proc. of the 13th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (EKAW2002), 213-218.
- Kozaki K., et. al. (2007) Role Representation Model Using OWL and SWRL, In Proc. of 2nd Workshop on Roles and Relationships in Object Oriented Programming, Multiagent Systems, and Ontologies, Berlin, July 30-31, pp.39-46.
- Kozaki K., et. al. (2008) Instance Management Problems in the Role Model of Hozo, Proc. of the 10th Pacific Rim International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (PRICAI-08), LNAI 5351, pp. 614-625, Dec. 15-19, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Kozaki, K., Kitamura, Y. and Mizoguchi, R. (2012). A Model of Derived Roles, In Proc. of the 18th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (EKAW2012), pp.227-236.
- Loebe, F. (2005). Abstract vs. Social Roles - A Refined Top-Level Ontological Analysis. Papers from the AAAI Fall Symposium Technical Report FS-05-08, pp. 93-100, USA.
- Loebe, F. (2007). Abstract vs. social roles - towards theoretical account of roles, Applied Ontology 2, 127-258.
- Masolo, C., Vieu, L. and et al. (2004). Social roles and their descriptions, In Proc. of the 9th International Conference on the Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning (KR), ,267-277.
- Masolo, C, Guizzardi, G., and et al. (2005). Relational roles and qua-individuals, AAAI Fall Symposium on Roles, an interdisciplinary perspective, November 3-6, 2005, Hyatt Crystal City, Arlington, Virginia.
- Masolo, C., Vieu, L., Kitamura, Y., Kozaki, K. and Mizoguchi, R. (2011). The Counting Problem in the Light of Role Kinds, InProc. Of AAAI Spring Symposium on Logical Formalizations of Commonsense Reasoning, 76-82.
- Mizoguchi, R., Kozaki, K., Sano, T. & Kitamura, Y. (2000). Construction and Deployment of a Plant Ontology. In R. Dieng and O.Corby (Eds.), Proc. of the 12th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (EKAW2000), Juan-les-Pins, France, LNCS 1937, 113-128.
- Mizoguchi, R., Sunagawa, E., Kozaki, K. and Y. Kitamura. (2007). The model of roles within an ontology development tool: Hozo. J. of Applied Ontology, 2, 159-179.
- Steimann, F. (2007). The role data model revisited, J. of Applied Ontology, 2 (2007), 89-103