Wireless Sensor Network Based Soil Moisture Monitoring System Design
Soil moisture is the amount of water in the soil. It plays a crucial role for efficient photosynthesis, respiration, transpiration and transportation of minerals and other nutrients through the plant. Proper irrigation schedule is very critical to plant growth. This paper presents a soil moisture monitoring system which comprises of commercially available soil moisture sensor Decagon EC-5, low power nRF24L01 wireless transceiver, and MPC82G516A microcontroller. The sensed soil moisture content from the EC-5 sensor node will be transmitted to the coordinator via 2.5GHZ wireless signal. The coordinator will transmit the data to the computer using RS232 interface. The key components used in the proposed system are low cost and more flexible. The locally developed MPC82G516A microcontroller consumes low power due to its 1-T instruction time. In addition, the EC-5 sensing electrode also has advantages of easy installation and replacement in the farm. The developed system provides a better data transmitted and processed wirelessly and it can serve as a basis for efficient irrigation scheduling. (original abstract)
- Black C.A., Evans D.D., White J.L., Ensminger L.E., Clark F.E., "Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 1: Physical and Mineralogical Properties, Including Statistics of Measurement and Sampling, 1965.
- Chung W.-Y., Chen Ch.-L., Chen J., "Design and Implementation of Low Power Wireless Sensor System for Water Quality Monitoring",IEEE, 2011.
- Chung W.-Y., Tan J., Caya M.V., Paglinawan A., "Wireless-Based Soil Moisture Monitoring System for Irrigation Scheduling in Greenhouse", IECEP Conference Proceeding, 2012.
- Devices D., "EC-5 Soil Moisture Sensor: User's Manual Version, 2" 2012 [online]. Available http://www.decagon.com/assets/Uploads/EC-5-Manual.pdf.
- Gaylon S., Campbell, Pullman, WA (US), Warren C. Greenway, Cambridge, ID(US), "Moisture Detection Apparatus and Method", United States, US6 904 789 B2, June 14, 2005.
- Ma Z., Pan X., "Agricultural Environment Information Collection System Based on Wireless Sensor Network", IEEE Global High Tech Congress on Electronics", 2012, pp. 24-28.
- Megawin, "MPC82G516A 8-bit Microcontroller: Datasheet version A4", 2008 [online]. Available http://www.silaresearch.com/data/82g516a.pdf.
- Muñoz-Carpena R., Shukla S., Morgan K., "Field Devices for Monitoring Soil Water Content", BUL343, June 2004.
- Nordic Semiconductor, "nRF24L01 Single Chip 2.4GHz Transceiver: Product Specifications V2.0," July 2007. [Online]. Available http://www.nordicsemi.com.
- Yao-lin Z., Gao-qiang Z., Lei Z., Jin X., "Design of Wireless Multi-point Temperature Transmission System Nased on nRF24L01", IEEE, 2011, pp. 780-783.