To Rent or to Buy - Analysis of Housing Tenure Choice Determined by Housing Policy
The article discusses the relatively large share of owner-occupied housing in the housing stock in selected European countries with relatively low per capita income and describes the underlying causes of this phenomenon. We also identify the economic implications of the growing number of owneroccupied housing and poorly developed rental market. The paper analyses home purchase or rental decisions and explains the correlations between housing availability, consumption and households' savings, as well as housing policy and investigates this question empirically. The way in which the development of the rental market can improve the situation in the property market is presented on the basis of a simple model. (original abstract)
- Amman W. (2009) New Policies to Facilitate Affordable Housing in Central Eastern Europe, Housing Finance International, Vol. XXIV No 2.
- André C., Gil-Alana L. A., Gupta R. (2013) Testing for Persistence in Housing Price-to-Income and Price-to-Rent Ratios in 16 OECD Countries, University of Pretoria, Working Paper: 2013-21.
- Andrews D., Sanchez A. C. (2011a) The Evolution of Homeownership Rates in Selected OECD Countries: Demographic and Public Policy Influences., OECD Journal: Economic Studies, Vol. 2011/1.
- Andrews D., Sanchez A. C. (2011b) Drivers of Homeownership Rates in Selected OECD Countries., OECD Economics Department Working Papers, No. 849.
- Andrews,D., Sánchez A. C., Johansson Å. (2011c) Housing Markets and Structural Policies in OECD Countries, OECD Economics Department Working Papers, No. 836.
- Arrondel L., Lefebvre B. (2001) Consumption and Investment Motives in Housing Wealth Accumulation: A French Study, Journal of Urban Economics 50, 112-137.
- Augustyniak H., Łaszek J., Olszewski K., Waszczuk J. (2013a) Modeling of cycles in the residential real estate markets - interactions between the primary and the secondary market and multiplier effects., National Bank of Poland Working Paper 143.
- Augustyniak H., Łaszek J., Olszewski K., Waszczuk J. (2013b) Housing market cycles - a disequilibrium model and its calibration to the Warsaw housing market In: Report on the situation in the Polish residential and commercial real estate market in 2012, NBP.
- Banks J., Blundell R., Oldfield Z., Smith J. P. (2011) Housing Mobility and Downsizing at Older Ages in Britain and the USA, Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, Vol. 79(313), 1-26.
- Barcelo C. (2006) Housing Tenure and Labour Mobility: A Comparison Across European Countries, Banco de Espana Research Paper No. WP-0603; CEMFI Working Paper No. 0302
- Blanchflower D. G., Oswald A. J. (2013) Does High Home-Ownership Impair the Labor Market?, NBER working paper nr. 19079.
- Bourassa S., Hoesli M., Scognamiglio D. (2010) Housing finance, prices, and tenure in Switzerland, MPRA Paper No. 45990, 262-282.
- Case K. E., Shiller R. J. (1989) The Efficiency of the Market for Single Family Homes, American Economic Review 79, 125-137.
- Chambers M.S., Garriga C., Schlagenhauf D. (2008) Mortgage Innovation, Mortgage Choice and Housing Decisions, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review, 90(6), 585-608.
- Coulson N. E., Fisher L. M. (2002), Tenure Choice and Labor Market Outcomes., Housing Studies, Vol. 17, (1), 35-49.
- DiPasquale, D. and E. Glaeser (1999) Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?, Journal of Urban Economics, 45(2), 354-384.
- Edgar, B. M. Filipovic and I. Dandolova (2007) Home Ownership and Marginalisation., European Journal of Homelessness, Vol. 1, 141-160.
- Eurostat (2011) Housing statistics - Statistics Explained (2013/8/3) <http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/Housing_statistics/pl>
- Djankov S., La Porta R., Lopez-de-Silanes F., Shleifer A. (2003) Courts. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 118(2), 453-517.
- Fisher L. M., Jaffe A. J. (2003) Determinants of international home ownership rates., Housing Finance International Journal, 34-35.
- Gromnicka E., Zysk P. (2003) Polish Tenancy Law and the Principles of European Contract Law., available at SSRN.
- Haurin D., Parcel T., Haurin R. (2002) Does Homeownership Affect Children's Outcomes?, Real Estate Economics, No. 30, 635-666.
- Henderson J. V., Ioannides Y. M. (1983) A Model of Housing Tenure Choice., The American Economic Review, Vol. 73(1), 98-113.
- Ioannides Y. M., Rosenthal S. S. (1994) Estimating the Consumption and Investment Demands for Housing and Their Effect on Housing Tenure Status., The Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 76(1), 127-141.
- JCHS (2013a) America's Rental Housing: Evolving Markets and Needs., Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard University.
- JCHS (2013b) The state of the nation's housing 2013., Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard University.
- Łaszek J. (2013) Housing and consumer theory, In: Report on the situation in the Polish residential and commercial real estate market in 2012, NBP.
- Ligon J. (2013) How Government Housing Policy Led to the Financial Crisis. Testimony before the Committee on Financial Services., Subcommittee on Capital Markets and Government Sponsored Enterprises United States House of Representatives March 6, 2013.
- Lowe S. (2004) Overview: Too poor to move, too poor to stay. in J. Fearan, (ed.) Too poor to move, too poor to stay: A report on housing in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Serbia., LGI Fellowship series, Budapest: Open society institute.
- NBP (2010) Report on the situation in the Polish residential real estate market in 2002-2009.
- NBP (2011) Report on the situation in the Polish residential and commercial real estate market in 2010.
- NBP (2012a) Report on the situation in the Polish residential and commercial real estate market in 2011.
- NBP (2012b) Information on home prices and the situation in the residential and commercial real estate market in Poland in 2012 Q4.
- Poterba J. M. (1984) Tax Subsidies to Owner-Occupied Housing: An Asset-Market Approach, The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol. 99, No. 4, 729-752.
- Sánchez C. A., Andrews D. (2011) Residential Mobility and Public Policy in OECD Countries., OECD Journal: Economic Studies, Vol. 2011/1.
- Scanlon K., Whitehead C. (2004) International trends in housing tenure and mortgage finance, London School of Economics, ISBN: 0-9544578-6-2.
- Sinai T., Souleles N. (2005) Owner Occupied Housing as Insurance Against Rent Risk, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol. 120 (2), 763-789.
- Stein J. C. (1995) Prices and trading volumes in the housing market: a model with down-payment effects, Quarterly Journal of Economics, 379-406.