A Spreadsheet Based System for DEA Models
DEA models are tools for evaluation of efficiency and performance of decision making units. They are based on the definition of efficiency as the ratio of the sum of outputs produced by the unit divided by the sum of inputs spent in the production process. A standard LP solver is the only requirement for solving DEA models. Unfortunately specialized optimization packages are not available to typical users. In this case it is possible to use the built-in MS Excel solver. This solver has many limitations, but it is usually a sufficient tool for DEA models. The paper describes an original MS Excel add-on application that offers a simple tool for solving several standard DEA models. This application includes basic envelopment models with constant and variable returns to scale, SBM models, models with undesirable inputs and outputs and models with uncontrollable input and outputs. The application allows to calculate super-efficiency measures for most of the models mentioned. The functionality and main features of the system are illustrated by a simple case study - an evaluation of performance of pension funds in the Czech Republic.(original abstract)
- Andersen P. and Petersen N.C.: A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis. "Management Science" 1993, 39, pp. 1261-1264.
- Cooper W.W., Seiford L.M., and Tone K. (2000): Data Envelopment Analysis. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2000.
- Jablonský J.: Measuring Efficiency of Production Units by AHP Models. "Mathematical and Computer Modeling" 2007, 46.
- Jablonský J.: A MS Excel Based Support System for Data Envelopment Analysis Models. In. Ed. H. Skalská. Proceedings of the 23rd Conference Mathematical Methods in Economics. Hradec Králové 2005, pp. 175-181.
- Jablonský J.: Models for Efficiency Evaluation of Production Units. "Politická Ekonomie" 2004, 52, pp. 206-220.
- Zhu J.: Quantitative Models for Performance Evaluation and Benchmarking. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2003.