Modelling of Price and Income Effects on Ukraine's Agricultural Export Growth
Using monthly data for the 2001─2013 period, this paper applies Error-Correction Model (ECM) to estimate export demand effects for Ukraine's agricultural commodities and foodstuffs. According to our results, the long-run exchange rate sensitivity of export demand seems to be rather weak, whereas the domestic income effect is high enough across all four groups: (i) meat, fish and dairy products; (ii) wheat and vegetables; (iii) vegetable oil and (iv) foodstuffs. No evidence is found of the long-term relationship between agricultural exports and foreign trade-partner industrial output. However, both exchange rate and foreign output are established to strongly affect the demand for agricultural exports in the short-run. Also, there is evidence of a speedy short-run adjustment for all groups of agricultural exports to their long-run relationships. (original abstract)
-  Abler D. (2010) Demand Growth in Developing Countries, OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers No. 29, Paris: OECD Publishing.
-  Bartošová D., Bartová L., and Fidrmuc J. (2007) EU Enlargement Implications on the New Member States Agri-Food Trade, TRADEAG Working Paper 07/10.
-  Batten D., and Belongia M. (1984) The Recent Decline in Agricultural Exports: Is the Exchange Rate the Culprit?, FRB of St. Louis.
-  Bojnec S., and Fertő I. (2012) Agro-food exports variety from the Central and Eastern European countries, Agricultural Economics ─ Czech, 1 (58), 1─10.
-  Bond M. (1987) An Econometric Study of Primary Commodity Exports from Developing Country Regions to the World, IMF Staff Papers 2 (34), 191─227.
-  Brunini A., Mordecki G., and Ramírez L. (2013) Uruguayan exports and sectoral real exchange rate, Montevideo: Universidad de la República.
-  Chauffour J.-P., Ivanic M., Laborde D., Maliszewska M., and Martin W. (2010) Impact of a Free Trade Agreement between Ukraine and the European Union on Ukraine's Agricultural Sector, Paper presented at the 14th Annual Conference on Global Economic Analysis (Venice, Italy, June 16-18, 2011).
-  Ciżkowicz P., Rzońca A., and Umiński S. (2013) The determinants of regional exports in Poland - a panel data analysis, Post-Communist Economies, 2 (25), 206─224.
-  Colacelli M. (2008) Export Responses to Real Exchange Rate Fluctuations: Development Status and Exported Good Effects, Mimeo, Columbia University.
-  Djurkovic M. (2012) From a centrally planned economy to an economy in transition: The effects on regional patterns of corn exports in Serbia, Mimeo, Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
-  Erjavec E., Gambelli D., and Turk J. (1998) The supply response and structural breaks in Slovene agriculture, in: Agricultural price reform under transition in Bulgaria, Romania, and Slovenia, G. Mergos (ed.), 132─146 (Options Méditerranéennes: Série B. Etudes et Recherches, no. 22).
-  Fidan H. (2006) Impact of the Real Effective Exchange Rate (Reer) on Turkish Agricultural Trade, International Journal of Social Sciences, 1 (2), 70─82.
-  Haniotis T., Baffes J. and Ames G. (1988) The Demand and Supply of U.S. Agricultural Exports: The Case of Wheat, Corn, and Soybeans, Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, 2 (20), 45─55.
-  Hatab A., Romstadt E., and Huo X. (2010) Determinants of Egyptian Agricultural Exports: A Gravity Model Approach, Modern Economy, 3 (1), 134─143.
-  Idsardi E. (2010) The determinants of Agricultural Export Growth in South Africa, Paper presented at the joint 3rd Conference of the African Association of Agricultural Economics (AAAE) & 48th Conference of the South African Association of Agricultural Economics (AEASA) (Cape Town, South Africa, 19-23 September 2010).
-  Islam N., and Subramanian A. (2008) Agricultural exports of developing countries: estimates of income and price elasticities of demand and supply, Journal of Agricultural Economics, 2 (40), 221─231.
-  Kristinek J., and Anderson P. (2002) Exchange Rates and Agriculture: A Literature Review, AFPC Working Paper 02-2, College Station: Agricultural and Food Policy Center.
-  Lamb R. L. (2000) Food crops, exports, and the short-run policy response of agriculture in Africa, Agricultural Economics, 2 (22), 271─298.
-  Orden D. (1999) Exchange Rate Effects on Agricultural Trade and Trade Relations, Policy Harmonization and Adjustment in the North American Agricultural and Food Industry, Proceedings of the 5th Agricultural and Food Policy System Information Workshop (Acapulco, Mexico, 4-5 March 1999).
-  Ozun A., and Turk M. (2010) Leading Economic Determinants of Foreign Trade Volume in Turkish Agriculture Sector, Agricultural Economics Review, 1 (11), 87─96.
-  Ševela M. (2002) Gravity-type model of Czech agricultural exports, Agricultural Economics ─ Czech, 10 (48), 463─466.
-  Shane M., Roe T., and Somwaru A. (2008) Exchange Rates, Foreign Income, and U.S. Agricultural Exports, Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, 2 (37), 160─175.