Growth Effect of Aid and its Volatility: an Individual Country Study in South Asian Economies
This paper empirically investigates the growth effect associated with aid and its volatility during the period 1995-2008 in the case of five South Asian economies. The aid is classified into short impact, long impact and humanitarian aid. We obtained results for each of the country by employing two-stage least squares method. The results suggest that gross aid is positively associated with growth rate where as its volatility negatively effects growth rate South Asian countries. Short impact and long impact aid positively effect on growth rate whereas respective aid volatilities have negative affects on all the economies, excluding at least one country in each case. Humanitarian aid and its volatility have mixed results. Thus, we come to a conclusion that, aid and aid volatility have strong association with growth rate in the South Asian countries, but varies considerably from country to country in terms of magnitude of effect and in relation to the growth rates.(original abstract)
- Arellano, C., Bulir, A., Timothy and Lipschitz, L., 2009. "The dynamic implications of foreign aid and its variability," Journal of Development Economics, Vol.88, pp. 87-102.
- Asteriou, D., 2009. "Foreign aid and economic growth: New evidence from a panel data approach for five South Asian countries," Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol.31, pp.155-61.
- Bulir, A. and Hamann, A., 2008. "Volatility of development aid: From the frying pan into the fire?", World Development, Vol.36, pp.2048-2066.
- Burnside, C. and Dollar, D., 2000. "Aid, policies, and growth," The American Economic Review, Vol.4, No.90, pp.847-868.
- Chauvet, L., 2002. "Socio-political instability and the allocation of international aid by donors," European Journal of Political Economy, Vol.19, pp.33-59.
- Dalgaard, C., and Hansen, H., 2001. "On aid, growth and good policies," The Journal of Development Studies, Vol.37,No.6, pp.17-41.
- Doucouliagos, H. and Paladam, M., 2009. "Aid effectiveness on growth: A meta study," European Journal of Political Economy, Vol.24, pp.1-24.
- Feeny, S. and McGillivray, M., 2003. "Aid and public sector borrowing in developing countries," Journal of International Development, Vol.15, pp.989-98.
- Hansen, H. and Tarp, F., 2000. "Aid effectiveness disputed," Journal of International Development, Vol.12, pp.375-98.
- Hudson, J. and Mosley, P., 2008a. "Aid volatility, policy and development," World Development, Vol.36, pp.2082-102
- Hudson, J. and Mosely, P., 2008b. "The macroeconomic impact of aid volatility," Economics Letters, Vol.99, pp.486-89.
- Mavrotas, G., 2005. "Aid heterogeneity: Looking at aid effectiveness from a different angle," Journal of International Development, Vol.17, pp.1019-1036.
- McGillivray, M. and Morrissey, O., 2000. "Aid fungibility in assessing aid: Red herring or true concern?", Journal of International Development, Vol.12, pp.413-28.
- McGillivray, M. and Ouattara, B., 2005. "Aid, Debt Burden and Government Fiscal Behaviour in Cote d'Ivoire," Journal of African Economies, Vol.14, pp.247-69.
- McGillivray, M., Feeny, S., Hermes, N. and Lensink, R., 2006. "Controversies over the impact of development aid: It works; It doesn't; It can, but that depends," Journal of International Development, Vol.18, pp.1031-1050.
- McGillivray, M., 2009. "Aid, economic reform, and public sector fiscal behaviour in developing countries," Review of Development Economics, 13(3), pp.526-542.
- Morrissey, O., Iseli, O. and Manja, D., 2006. "Aid loans versus aid grants: Are the effects different?", CREDIT Research Paper, University of Nottingham, No.06/07.
- Neanidis, C. and Varvarigos, D., 2009. "The allocation of volatile aid and economic growth: Theory and evidence," European Journal of Political Economy, Vol.25, pp.447-62.
- Ouattara, B., 2006. "Foreign aid and Government fiscal behaviour in developing countries: Panel data evidence," Economic Modelling,Vol.23, pp.506-514.
- Rajan, G. and Subramanian, A., 2005. "What undermines aid's impact on growth?", IMF working paper, WP/05/126.
- Round, I. and Odedokun, M., 2004. "Aid effort and its determinants," International Review of Economic & Finance, Vol.13, pp.293-309.