Agricultural Efficiency Under Resource Scarcity in Uzbekistan: A Data Envelopment Analysis
Water scarcity and land degradation increases led to a sharp rise in input resource's costs. These developments make it increasingly difficult for agricultural farms to produce according to the demand for food and other commodities, especially owing a rapid population growth. The present study aims to focus on scarce resource use in the agricultural production of the Zarafshan valley by means of the efficiency analysis. A DEA model is estimated to investigate the farm level efficiency levels with respect to the use of the limited resources available to the farmers. By the application of linear programming methods a 'best practice frontier is estimated', classifying farms on the frontier as efficient and others as inefficient with respect to different scales. Technical and allocative efficiencies are calculated relative to the frontier. Results shows input resources are not used efficiently and a great majority of farms could effectively reduce considerable amounts of input use by still producing the same output.(original abstract)
- Ahrorov, F., 2010. "Land degradation from agricultural activities in Uzbekistan: A review of evidence," In: Challenges of Education and Innovation, Proceedings of the Fourth Green Week Scientific Conference, IAMO, Vol.56, pp.131-39.
- Charnes, A., Cooper, W., and Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.2, pp.429-44.
- Coelli, T., 1996. "A Guide to DEAP Version 2.1: Data Envelopment Analysis (Computer) Program," CEPA, University of New England, Armilade, No8/96.
- Coelli, T., Prasada Rao, D., O'Donnnel, Ch., Battese, G., 2005. An Introduction to efficiency and productivity analysis, 2nd ed., NY USA, Springer.
- Djalalov, S., Gemma, M., 2006. Impact of policy reforms on farm production in Uzbekistan, Policy reforms and agriculture development in Central Asia, London, Springer.
- Farrell, M., 1957. "The measurement of Productive Efficiency," Journal of Royal Statistical Society, Series A, Vol.120, pp.253-90.
- Guadagni, M., Raiser, M., Crole-Rees, A., Khidirov, D., 2005. "Cotton taxation in Uzbekistan. Opportunities for reform," ECSSD Working Paper, No.41, Washington, USA: The World Bank.
- MAWR, 2008, 2009. Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources of the Republic of Uzbekistan, www.agro.uz
- SAITECH, Inc., 2003. Introduction to DEA-Solver-Pro Professional Version 7.1, SAITECH, Inc., Hazlet, New Jersey.
- Scheel, H., 2000. EMS: Efficiency measurement system users manual, Version 1.3, Universität Dortmund, Dortmund, Germany.
- SCS Uz, 2009. The State Committee of the Republic of Uzbekistan on Statistics.