The Relationship Between Transformational Leadership and Employees' Satisfaction at Jordanian Private Hospitals
The present study has aimed at identifying the relationship between transformational leadership and job satisfaction of registered nurses at Jordanian private hospitals, the population of the study consisted of registered nurses at private hospitals located in Amman (capital of Jordan). There have been 200 surveys mailed out to registered nurses. One hundred and sixty eight usable surveys have been returned with an 83 % response rate. Regarding transformational leadership, the survey was adapted from the Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire (MLQ) (Avolio & Bass, 1995). The Minnesota Satisfaction Questionnaire (MSQ) developed by Weiss (1967) was adapted to measure the two factors of job satisfaction. The present study has shown a statistically significant positive relationship existing between the five dimensions of transformational leadership and the two dimensions of job satisfaction, the strongest relationship between internal job satisfaction and transformational leadership has been visible among the intellectual stimulation dimension. (original abstract)
- Archbold, R., 2004. The perception of leadership style: Effect on the work environment, Doctoral dissertation, Nova Southeastern University, Retrieved July 2005, from ProQuest Digital Dissertations database, AAT3132802.
- Avolio, B., Waldman, D., Yammarino, F., 1991. "Leading in the 1990s: the four I's of transformational leadership," Journal of European Industrial Training, Vol.15 No.4, pp.9-16.
- Avolio, B. and Bass, B., 2002. Developing potential across a full range of leadership cases on transactional and transformational leadership, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ.
- Avolio, B. and Bass, B., 1988. "Transformational leadership, charisma and beyond," in Hunt, J., Baliga, B., Dachler, H., Schriesheim, C. (Eds), Emerging Leadership Vistas, pp.29-49, Lexington, MA: Lexington Books.
- Bass, B., Waldman, D., Avolio, B., Bebb, M., 1987. "Transformational leadership and falling dominoes effect," Group and Organization Studies, 12(1), pp.73-88.
- Bass, B., 1985a. Leadership and performance beyond expectations, The Free Press, New York, NY.
- Bass, B., 1985b. "Leadership: good, better, best," Organizational Dynamics, Vol.13, No.3, pp.26-40.
- Bass, B., 1990a. Bass and Stogdill's handbook of leadership: Theory, research, and managerial applications, 3rd ed., The Free Press, New York, NY.
- Bass, B., 1998. Transformational leadership: Industrial, military, and educational impact, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ.
- Bass, B., Avolio, B., 1990. "Developing transformational leadership: 1992 and beyond," Journal of European Industrial Training, Vol.14(5), pp.21-27.
- Bass, B. and Avolio, B., 1994. Improving organizational effectiveness through transformational leadership, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Bass, B., 1994. Improving organizational effectiveness through transformational leadership, 1st Ed., London Sage Publications.
- Behling, O., McFillen, J., 1996. "A syncretical model of charismatic/transformational leadership," Group and Organizational Management, Vol.21, No.2, pp.163-91.
- Berson, Y., Linton, J., 2005. "An examination of the relationships between leadership style, quality, and employee satisfaction in RandD versus administrative environments," RandD Management, Vol.35, pp.51-60.
- Brerggren, I., Severinsson, A. , 2003. "Nurse supervisors actions in relation to their decision-making style and ethical approach to clinical supervision," Journal of Advanced Nursing, 41(6), pp.615-23.
- Burns, J., 1978. Leadership, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, NY.
- Chemjong, M., 2004. Transactional or transformational leader? Spot light, 24(2), pp.261-63.
- Chiok Foong Loke, J., 2001. "Leadership behaviours: effects on job satisfaction, productivity and organizational commitment," Journal of Nursing Management, Vol. 9, No.4, pp.191-204.
- Chu, C., Hsu, H., Price, J., Lee, J., 2003. "Job satisfaction of hospital nurses: an empirical test of a causal model in Taiwan," International Nursing Review, Vol.50, pp.176-82.
- Conger, J. and Kanungo, R., 1988. Charismatic leadership: The elusive factor in organizational effectiveness. San Francisco, CA: Jossey Bass Publications.
- Dahlen, R., 2002. The relationship of nurse clinical transformational leadership behaviors and nurse manager job satisfaction, Retrieved in October 24, 2006, UMI ProQuest Digital Dissertations, UMI No.3073766.
- De Loach, R., 2003. "Job satisfaction among hospice interdisciplinary team members," American Journal of Hospital Palliative Care, November-December, Vol.20, No.6, pp.434-40
- Deluga, R., 1992. "The relationship of leader-member exchanges with laissez-faire, transactional, and transformational leadership in naval environments," in Clark, K., Clark, M., and Campbell, D. (Eds), Impact of Leadership, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, NC.
- Dumdum, U., Lowe, K., and Avolio, B., 2002. "A meta-analysis of transformational and transactional leadership correlates of effectiveness and satisfaction: An update and extension," In: Avolio, B. and Bass, B. (Eds), Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire, Mind Garden, Inc.
- Dunham-Taylor, J., 2000. "Nurse executive transformational leadership found in participative organizations," Journal of Nursing Administration, Vol.30, No.5, pp.241-50.
- Dvir, T., Eden, D., Avolio, B., Shamir, B., 2002. "Impact of transformational leadership on follower development and performance," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.45(4), pp.735-44.
- Fletcher, C., 2001. "Hospital RNs' job satisfactions and dissatisfactions," Journal of Nursing Administration, Vol.31(6), pp.324-31.
- Fuller, J., Patterson, C., Hester, K., Stringer, D., 1996. "A quantitative review of research on charismatic leadership," Psychological Reports, Vol.78, pp.271-87.
- Gigantesco, A., Picardi, A., Chiaia, E., Balbi, A., Morosini, P., 2003. "Job satisfaction among mental health professionals in Rome, Italy," Community Mental Health Journal, Vol.39, No.4, August, pp.349-55.
- Hater, J. and Bass, B., 1988. "Superiors' and subordinates' perception of transformational and transactional leadership," Journal of Applied Psychology, 73(4), pp.695-702.
- House, R., Spangler, W., and Woycke, J., 1991. "Personality and charisma in the U.S. Presidency: A psychological theory of leader effectiveness," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.36, pp.364-96.
- Ilies, R. and Judg, T., 2003. "On the heritability of job satisfaction: the mediating role of personality," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.88, No.4, August, pp.750-59.
- Jung, D. and Avolio, B., 2000. "Opening the black box: an experimental investigation of the mediating effects of trust and value congruence on transformational and transactional leadership," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.21, No.8, pp.949-64.
- Katzenbach, J., 1998. Teams at the top: Unleashing the potential of both teams and individual leaders, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA.
- Koustelios, A., Kouli, O. and Theodorakis, N., 2003. "Job security and job satisfaction among Greek fitness instructors," Percept. Mot. Skills., Vol.97, No.1, August, pp.192-94.
- Kouzes, J. and Posner, B., 1988. The Leadership Challenge, 6th ed., Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA.
- Lowe, K., Kroeck, K., Sivasubramaniam, N., 1996. "Effectiveness correlates of transformational and transactional leadership: A meta-analytic review of the MLQ literature," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.7(3), pp.385-425.
- Luthans, F. and Avolio, B. , 2003. "Authentic leadership development," In: Cameron, K., Dutton, J. and Quinn, R. (Eds), Positive organizational scholarship, San Francisco: Barrett-Koehler, pp.241-58.
- Marshall, S., Rosenbach, W., Deal, T., Peterson, K., 1992. "Assessing transformational leadership and its impact," In: Clark, K., Clark, M., and Campbell, D. (Eds), Impact of leadership, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, NC, pp.131-48.
- Masi, R., 2000. "Effects of transformational leadership on subordinate motivation, empowering norms, and organizational productivity," International Journal of Organizational Analysis, Vol.8(1), pp.16-32.
- Masi, R. and Cooke, R., 2000. "Effects of transformational leadership on subordinate motivation, empowering norms, and organizational productivity," International Journal of Organizational Analysis, Vol.8, pp.16-47.
- McNeese-Smith, D., 1999. "A content analysis of staff nurse descriptions of job satisfaction and dissatisfaction," Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol.29 No.6, pp.1332-342.
- McShane, S., 2004. Canadian organizational behavior, 5th ed., McGraw-Hill Ryerson, Toronto.
- Medley, F. and Larochelle, D., 1995. "Transformational leadership and job satisfaction," Nursing Management, Vol.26, pp.64-65.
- Misener, T., Haddock, K., Gleaton, J., Ajamieh, A., 1996. "Toward an international measure of job satisfaction," Nursing Research, Vol.45, pp.87-91.
- Mosadeghrad, A., 2003a. "The role of participative management (suggestion system) in hospital effectiveness and efficiency," Research in Medical Sciences, Vol.8, No.3, Isfahan, pp. 85-89.
- Mosadeghrad, A., 2003b, Principles of health care administration, Dibagran Tehran, Tehran.
- Navaie-Waliser, M., Lincoln, P., Karuturi, M., Reisch, K., 2004. "Increasing job satisfaction, quality care, and coordination in home health," Journal of Nursing Administration, Vol.34, No.2, February, pp.88-92.
- Podsakoff, P., MacKenzie, S., Bommer, W., 1996. "Transformational leader behaviors and substitutes for leadership as determinants of employee satisfaction, commitment, trust, and organizational citizenship behaviors," Journal of Management, Vol.22, No.2, pp.259-98.
- Ribelin, P., 2003. "Retention reflects leadership style," Nursing Management, Vol.34(8), pp.18-21.
- Roberts, N., 1985. "Transforming leadership: A process of collective action," Human Relations, Vol.38(11), pp.1023-1046.
- Roush, P., 1992. "The Myers-Briggs type indicator, subordinate feedback, and perceptions of leadership effectiveness," In: Clark, K., Clark, M., and Campbell, D. (Eds), Impact of leadership, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, NC, pp.529-43.
- Seo, Y., Ko, J., Price, J., 2004. "The determinants of job satisfaction among hospital nurses: A model estimation in Korea," International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol.41, pp.437-46.
- Sergiovanni, T. and Corbally, J., 1984. "Leadership and organizational culture," Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press.
- Shamir, B., Zakay, E., Breinin, E., Popper, M., 1998. "Correlates of charismatic leader behavior in military units: Subordinates' attitudes, unit characteristics, and superior' appraisals of leader performance," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.4(4), pp.387-594.
- Skansi, D., 2000. "Relation of managerial efficiency and leadership styles - empirical study in Hrvatska elektroprivreda," Management, Vol.5 No.2, pp.51-67.
- Smith, P. and Peterson, M., 1988. Leadership, organizations and culture, New York: Sage Publishing.
- Sparks, J. and Schenk, J., 2001. "Explaining the effects of transformational leadership: an investigation of the effects of higher-orders motives in multilevel marketing organizations," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.22, pp.849-69.
- Stordeur, S., Vandenberghe, C. and D'hoore, W., 2000. "Leadership styles across hierarchical levels in nursing departments," Nursing Research, Vol.49 No.1, pp.37-43.
- Thyer, G., 2003. "Dare to be different: transformational leadership may hold the key to reducing the nursing shortage," Journal of Nursing Management, Vol.11, pp.73-9.
- Tichy, N. and Devanna, M., 1990. The Transformational Leader, John Wiley, New York, NY.
- Vance, C. and Larson, E., 2002. "Leadership research in business and health care," J. Nurse Scholash., Vol.34, No.2, pp.165-71.
- Walumbwa, F., Wang, P., Lawler, J., Shi, K., 2004. "The role of collective efficacy in the relations between transformational leadership and work outcomes," British Psychological Society, Vol.77(4), pp.515-30.
- Wilmore, E., Thomas, C., 2001. "The new century: Is it too late for transformational leadership," Educational Horizons, 79(3), pp.115-23.
- Yammarino, F., 1994. "Indirect leadership: transformational leadership at a distance," in Bass, B., Avolio, B., (Eds), Improving organizational effectiveness through transformational leadership, Sage, London, pp.26-47.