Integrated Ocean Data and Information Management System (ZSPDO) - Data Stewardship for Science and Decision Makers
Oceanographic data originated from worldwide experiments have growing importance and influence on decisions processes and policymakers. There are also base of further scientific research and services for environmental research, spatial planning and administration. Accessibility to information for decision makers is crucial for leading such processes. All organizations involved in oceanographic research and data providers are responsible for maintaining infrastructure for data storing, processing and running data providing services. These data, originating from different sources are being processed according to common practice elaborated through generations of oceanographers; however there appears to be a very strong demand for standardization of data management and quality assurance procedures, especially while facing problems regarding cooperation in data exchange. ZSPDO developed by IOPAN will provide high quality data stewardship services allowing data acquisition, storage and accessibility. (original abstract)
- 1. Bates J., Goldberg M. (2005), Data Stewardship NOAA's Programs for Archive, Access, and Producing Climate Data Records, International TOVS' Study Conference 14.
- 2. Kenul P. M. (2011) Shipobard Geophysical Data Stewardship procedure 1102-25 version 1.0, NOAA Office of Marine and Aviation Operations.
- 3. Comission Regulation (2007), Directive 2007/2/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 14 March 2007 establishing an Infrastructure for Spatial Information in the European Community (Annex II, III) (INSPIRE).
- 4. Comission Regulation (2008), Regulation No 1205/2008 of 3 December 2008 implementing Directive 2007/2/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council as regards metadata.
- 5. Comission Regulation (2003), Directive 2003/98/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 17 November 2003 on the re-use of public sector information.
- 6. EuroGOOS (2000), Policy and practice for EuroGOOS for the exchange of océanographic and related data and products including guidelines on relationships in commercial océanographic activities, EuroGOOS.
- 7. Intergovernmental Océanographic Commission of UNESCO (2007), IOC Manuals and Guides No. 51 (2007), IOC Strategic Plan for Océanographic Data and Information Management (2008-2011). Paris, 42 pp., (English), UNESCO.
- 8. Imhof C. (1997), Data Stewardship: Process for Achieving Data Integrity, The Data Administration Newsletter, TDAN.com.
- 9. IOC (2003), IOC Oceanographic Data Exchange Policy, XXII IOC Assembly.
- 10. Schaap D. (2009), Development of Marine Data Management Infrastructures in Europe (SeaDataNet), Intergovernmental Océanographic Commission of UNESCO), Twentieth Session of the IOC Committee on International Océanographic Data and Information Exchange (IODE-XX) Beijing, China, 4-8 May 2009, UNESCO.
- 11. Shepherd I. (2009), EMODNET : Towards a European Marine Observation and Data Network, SEADATANET, Third Annual Plenary Meeting, March 25-27, 2009 , Madrid, Spain.