Supporting Regional Competitiveness through Innovation : Case Study : Sud Muntenia
The present research underlies on the idea that recently, in both governmental long term strategies and economic theories, regions are considered as centres of economic growth and as hubs in knowledge spill-over of and that innovation is a key component of long-term economic prosperity. The analysis focuses on discovering how regional competitiveness can be supported by innovation, emphasizing also the role that economic agglomeration and clusters have in this process. The study is based on a Romanian region, Sud Muntenia, and presents an image of the innovation support structures, academic environment, innovation partnerships and clusters allocation in the region in comparison to the national level. The used methodology relies on quantitative and qualitative instruments, information being processed from statistical data, focus groups and questionnaires applied on the main regional actors involved in the innovation process. (original abstract)
- Cojanu, Valentin, Pîslaru, Dragoș (2011), How important are agglomeration economies: A case study of Romanian industrial clusters, Review of Economics and Business Studies, Volume 4, Issue 1, pp. 35-58.
- Dudian, M, (2011), Innovative clusters. Th e case of Romania, Management research and practice, Vol. 3, Issue 3, pp. 1-11.
- Enright, M. (2000), Regional clusters and multinational enterprises: independence, dependence or interdependence?, International Studies of Management and Organization, no. 30, pp. 114-138.
- European Competitiveness Report, 2012.
- European Competitiveness Report, 2000.
- Guth, M., Cosnita, D. (2010), Clusters and Potential Clusters in Romania - A Mapping Exercise - February, pp. 16.
- Ketels, Christian (2012), Th e impact of clusters and networks of fi rms on EU competitiveness, May.
- Ketels, Christian, Lindqvist, Göran, Sölvell Örjan (2012), Strengthening Clusters and Competitiveness in Europe The Role of Cluster Organisations, Th e Cluster Observatory, October.
- Martin, R., Sunley, P. (2003), Deconstructing Clusters: Chaotic Concept or Policy Panacea?, Journal of Economic Geography, no. 3, pp. 5-35.
- Martin, Ronald L., A Study on the Factors of Regional Competitiveness. A draft fi nal report for Th e European Commission, University of Cambridge.
- OECD Report (2001), Innovative Clusters. Drivers of National Innovative System.
- Porter, M. E. (2002), Regional Foundations of Competitiveness. Issues for Wales, Future Competitiveness of Wales: Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Technological Change, Wales, April 3rd, p. 3.
- Porter, M. E. (1998), Clusters and the New Economics of Competition, Harvard Business Review, Nov-Dec.
- www.rim-europa.eu/, accesed on 30.10.2012.