Europeanization in Turkey and Accession Process to the European Union
Turkey is still waiting to be one of the European Union's members. More than 50 years ago Turkey's government first asked to join the European Union. During the time, other countries have joined, expanding the 6 members European club to 28. Unfortunately, even the most optimistic scenario says Turkey is unlikely to be part of the EU for at least another decade. While the European Union is working with Turkey to help it move toward being able to become a member of the European Union, there are some politicians and economists who are concerned about Turkey's potential membership. Those opposed to Turkish membership in the EU point to several issues that Turkey isn't in Europe geographically, culturally; Turkey isn't a part of Europe. Besides Turkey has a large population, high unemployment rate and migration as a potential problem for the EU. Accession of Turkey to the Union would be challenging both for the EU and Turkey. If incorporating will be well managed, it would offer important opportunities for both parties. Referred to above this paper aims at providing a brief overview of the EU's accession process and Turkey's path to the EU membership. Main hypothesis assumes that the Turkey's accession to the EU is not simply down to a failure to comply with the official membership criteria. (original abstract)
- Ahmet Davutoglu is the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Turkey (2010), Turkish Foreign Policy and the EU.
- Armagan Emre ^akir (2010), Fifty Years of EU - Turkey Relations: Sisyphean Story.
- Balcer Adam (2012). Turkey Goes Global: Implications for the EU, DemosEUROPA Centre for European Strategy Foundation.
- Cepel Zuhal Unalp (2011), European-Turkish Identyty Interaction From he Social Constructivist Perspective, International Journal of Social Science and Humanity Studies, Vol. 3, No 2.
- CNN, Turkey's Kurdish conflict, www.edition.cnn.com.
- Europa, EU and Turkey, History. Delegation of European Union to Turkey, www.avrupa.info.tr.
- European Commission Brussel (2012), Turkey 2012 Progress Report, http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/pdf/key_documents/2012/package/tr_rapport_2012_en.pdf (10.10.2012).
- European Union Enlargement: A Status Report on Turkey's Accession Negotiations. Vincent Morelli (November 26, 2010), http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/155588.pdf.
- Fausymann Hubert (2004), he Cyprus Question Still Unsolved: Security Concerns and the Failure of the Annan Plan, Suedosteuropa-Mitteilungen, 06/2004, pp. 44-68, Munich.
- Ilgaz Mahir and Toygur Ilke, EU-Turkey Accession Negotiations: the State of Play and the Role of the New Turkish Foreign Policy.
- IMF (2011), Turkey-2011, Article IV Consultation Preliminary Conclusions, http://www.imf.org/external/np/ms/2011/091911a.htm.
- Inanc Husamettin (2004), Identity Problems of Turkey During to the European Union Integration Process, Journal of Economic and Social Research, 6 (2), pp. 33-62.
- McCarthy Justin (2005), Speech at he Turkish Grand National Assembly, March 24.
- Republic of Turkey Ministry for EU Affairs, 2012 Progress Report Prepared by Turkey.
- Republic of Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Foreign Policy (2012), http://www.mfa.gov.tr/default.en.mfa_ Rosenberg Matt (March 05, 2008), Turkey in the European Union Will Turkey Be Accepted for Membership in the EU?
- Somer Murat (June 2002), Ethnic Kurds, Endogenous Identities, and Turkey's Democratization and Integration with Europe, he Global Review of Ethnopolitics, Vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 74-93, University of Washington, Seattle.
- The UN Refugee Agency July-December, 2010 International Religious Freedom Report Turkey.
- Turkey's Accession Negotiations: Where Armenians Fit, www.insideeurope.org. Turkish Statistical Institute (Turksat), Turkey's Demographic and Population Statistics.
- Ulgen Sinan (2012), Avoiding a Divorse: A Virtual EU Membership for Turkey.
- Ustubici A., Irdam D., he Impact of Remittances on Human Development: a Quantitative Analysis and Policy Implications, Economics & Sociology, Vol. 5, No 1, 2012, pp. 74-95.
- World Directory of Minorities in Turkey (November 2011).