Application of competence models in performance measurement systems
The article addresses the topic of organizational effectiveness and deals with the use of competence models in performance measurement systems. Performance measurement is a multi-faceted and multipartite phenomenon. It should reflect organizational and individual performance level, different perspectives, reflecting the past, the present and the future. All these aspects and perspectives are in cause-effect relationship and measured in different dimensions. The learning and growth perspective is very unique as it presents the future and using competence models to reflect it can bridge the individual performance level with organizational as well as performance future aspect with present and past. (original abstract)
- Barney, J.B. (1991), Firm Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage, "Journal of Management", 17, (1).
- Bititchi, U.S., Turner, T. (2000), Dynamics of performance measurement systems, "International Journal of Operations & Production Management", Vol. 20, No. 6.
- Boyatzis, R.E. (1982), The Competent Manager: a model for effective performance, Wiley, New York.
- Boyatzis, R.E. (2008), Competencies in the 21st century, "Journal of Management Development", Vol. 27, Issue 1.
- Bratton, J., Gold, J. (2007), Human Resources Management. Theory And Practise, "Palgrave Macmillan", ISBN-10:0-230-00174-2
- Cameron, K.S. (1986), Effectiveness as paradox: consensus and conflict in conceptions of organizational effectiveness, "Management Science", Vol. 32, No. 5, May.
- Dubois, D.D. (2004), Competency-based human resource management, Davies-Black Publishing, Palo Alto (California), ISBN 0891061746.
- Georgopoulos, B.S., Tannenbaum, A.S. (1957), A study of organizational effectiveness, "American Sociological Review", Oct. Vol. 22, No. 5.
- Kanji, G.K. (2002), Performance measurement system, "Total Quality Management", Vol. 13.
- Kaplan, R.S., Norton, D.P. (1992), The Balanced Scorecard: Measures That Drive Performance, "Harvard Business Review", January-February.
- Kennerley, M., Neely, A. (2002), Performance Measurement Frameworks - a Review, in: A. Neely (ed.), Business Performance Measurement: Theory and Practice, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Loghoff, J., Wegewijs, B., Durkin, K., Wagenaar, R., Gonzalez, J., Isaacs, A.K., Rose, L.F.D, Gobi, M.A. (2010), Tuning Guide to Formulating Degree Programm Profiles. Including Programm Competences and Program Learning Outcomes. ISBN: 978-84-9830-375-9, Bilbabo, Groningen and the Hague.
- Lucia, A.D., Lepsinger, R. (1999), The Art and Science of Competency Models, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco.
- Mansfield, R.S. (1996), Building competence models: Approaches for HR professionals, "Human Resources Management", 35.
- Markus, L.H., Cooper-Thomas, H.D., Allpress, K.N. (2005), Confounded by competences? An evaluation of the evolution and use of competence models, "New Zealand Journal of Psychology", July, Vol. 34, No. 2.
- Naquin, S., Holton, E. (2006), Leadership and managerial competence models: a simplified process and resulting model, "Advances in developing Human Resources", May, Vol. 8, No. 2.
- Neely, A., Gregory, M., Platts, K. (1995), Performance Measurement System Design. A literature Review and Research Agenda, "International Journal of Operations &Production Management", Vol. 15, No. 4.
- Pyzdek, T. (2003), The Six Sigma Handbook, McGraw-Hill Companies, New York, ISBN 0-07-141015-5.
- Porter, M.E. (1980), Competitive Strategy. Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors, "Free Press", New York.
- Spencer, L.M., Spencer, S.M. (1993), Competence at work: models for superior performance, ISBN 0-471-54809-X, John Viley & Sons, Inc.
- Steers, R.P. (1975), Problems in the measurement of organizational effectiveness, "Administrative Science Quarterly", December, Vol. 20.
- Sudnickas, T., Kratavičiūtė-Ališauskienė, A. (2011), Analysis of Applying Competence Models: Office of the Prime Minister of Lithuania Case, "Viešoji politika ir administravimas", t. 10, No. 4, ISSN 1648-2603.
- Youndt, M.A., Snell, S.A., Dean, W.J., Jr., Lepak, D.P. (1996), Human resources Management, Manufacturing Strategy, and Firm Performance, "Academy of Management Journal", Aug. Vol. 39, No. 4.