The Prospective Impact of New Shopping Centres on the Retail Structure of Braga
Following the application for two new shopping centres in the city of Braga, a medium-size city located in the North region of Portugal, the purpose of this paper is to look for evidence of the possible impacts of those commercial structures on the retail sector of Braga. An overview of the literature allows us to conclude the strong relation between retail and cities and their town centres. Recently, the process of suburbanization and the transformation in the retail sector put into question the role of those areas by transferring the consumption from town centres and traditional retail formats to new structures located on the periphery. 400 questionnaires were given to consumers to analyse the consumption habits and the way they might change with the possible arrival of two new shopping centres. We have come to the conclusion that these commercial structures are very much present in the consumption habits and in the commercial environment of consumers. They associate characteristics like quality, animation, security, cleanness, time saving, product diversity, comfort, conviviality and parking facilities with that retail format. With the implantation of new shopping centres it is expected that the existent retail sector will undergo a decrease in its importance as a shopping destination. The data from the questionnaires allow us to conclude that it is not only the already existent shopping centres that will suffer but also the other retail formats. Nevertheless, a significant number of respondents do not think of transferring the shopping they already do to the new retail structures. (original abstract)
- Balsas, C., 1999: Urbanismo comercial em Portugal e a revitalizaçao do centro das cidades (Commercial Urbanism in Portugal and the revitalization of city centres - in Portuguese), Lisboa: GEPE.
- Balsas, C., 2001: Urbanismo comercial em Portugal, a necessidade de uma nova gestao urbana (Commercial Urbanism in Portugal, the need for a new urban management - in Portuguese), Lisboa: URBE.
- Barata-Salgueiro, T., 1992: A cidade em Portugal (The city in Portugal - in Portuguese), Porto: Afrontamento.
- Barata-Salgueiro, T., 2001: Lisboa, Centralidades e Periferia (Lisbon, Centralities and Periphery - in Portuguese), Oeiras: Celta Editora.
- Barata-Salgueiro, T., 2007: Avaliaçao dos impactos dos centros comerciais na cidade de Évora (Assessment of the impacts of shopping centres in the city of Évora - in Portuguese), Lisboa: GECIC.
- Beaujeu-Garnier, J., 1980: Geografia Urbana (Urban Geography - in Portuguese), Lisboa: Fundaçao Calouste Gulbenkian.
- Cachinho, H., 2005: Avaliaçao dos impactos dos centros comerciais na cidade de Leiria (Assessment of the impacts of commercial centres in the city of Leiria - in Portuguese), Lisboa: GECIC.
- Cachinho, H., 2006: Consumactor: Da condiçao do individuo na cidade pós-moderna, Finisterra (Consumactor - The condition of the individual in the postmodern city - in Portuguese), Volume XLI, Issue 81, Lisboa, pp. 33-56.
- Chico, F., 2008: Boas práticas em gestao de centros urbanos (Good practices in town centre management - in Portuguese), Lisboa: CCP.
- Farhangmehr, M., 1996: O comércio de Braga face a proximidade geográfica das cidades do Porto e Vigo (The retail sector of Braga regarding the proximity of the cities of Porto and Vigo - in Portuguese), Braga: Associaçao Comercial de Braga.
- Fernandes, J. A.; Cachinho, H. and Ribeiro, C., 2002: Comércio tradicional em contexto urbano - dinâmicas de modernizaçao e políticas públicas (Traditional retail in the urban context - dynamics of modernization and public policy - in Portuguese), Porto: GEDES.
- Guy, C., 2007: Planning for retail development, a critical view of the British experience, Oxon: Routledge.
- Howard, E., 2007: New shopping centres: is leisure the answer? In: International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, Volume 35, Issue 8, pp. 661-672.
- Howard, E. and Davies, R., 1993: The impact of regional out-of-town retail centres: the case of the Metro Centre. In: Progress in Planning, Volume 40, pp. 89-165.
- Jayne, M., 2006: Cities and consumption, Abington: Routledge.
- Lopes, D., 2004: O impacto dos centros comerciais no comércio do centro da cidade: o exemplo de Almada (The impact of shopping centres on the city centre: the example of Almada - in Portuguese), Dissertaçao de mestrado em Gestao do Território, Lisboa: Faculdade de Ciencias Sociais e Humanas, Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
- Lowe, M., 2005: Revitalizing inner city retail?: The impact of the West Quay development on Southampton. In: International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, Volume 33, Issue 9, pp.658 - 668.
- Observatório do comércio, 2002: Novo comércio, Novos consumos (New Retail, New consumptions - in Portuguese), Lisboa: Observatório do comércio.
- Pereira, M., 1999: Novas dinâmicas de organizaçao comercial (New dynamics of retail organization - in Portuguese). In: Comércio e concorręncia, Volume 3, pp. 97-107.
- Statistics Portugal: DoA: accessed online on July 2013 in www.ine.pt
- Whysall, P., 1995: Regenerating inner city shopping centres - The British experience. In: Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp. 3-13.
- Williams, C., 1997: Rethinking the Role of the Retail Sector in Economic Development. In: The Service Industries Journal, Volume 17, Issue 2, pp. 205-220.