A Path Model of Attitudinal Antecedents of Green Purchase Behaviour
The focus of this paper is propose and test a model of the effects of specific attitudinal constructs on the frequency of green purchase behaviour (GPB). Consumers' confidence, competence, and effectiveness are operationalized by a path model hypothesizing both direct and mediated effects of these antecedents on GPB. The measures are obtained from a survey of a representative sample of 419 undergraduates and analysed in a structural equations model framework. The frequency of green purchase behaviour depends on subjective knowledge of green issues, which is a direct consequence of consumers' beliefs in the effectiveness of green behaviour, and an indirect consequence of consumers' trust on claims made by green advocates. Results confirm the crucial importance of credibility of green marketing and the concomitant need for strategies to overcome consumers' distrust. (original abstract)
- Albayrak, T., Caber, M., Moutinho, L., Herstein, R. (2011), The influence of skepticism on green purchase behavior, International Journal of Business & Social Science, 2, pp. 189-197.
- Berger, I. E., Corbin, R. M. (1992), Perceived Consumer Effectiveness and Faith in Others as Moderators of Environmentally Responsible Behaviors, Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 11, pp. 79-89.
- Brécard, D., Hlaimi, B., Lucas, S., Perraudeau, Y., Salladarré, F. (2009), Determinants of demand for green products: An application to eco-label demand for fish in Europe, Ecological Economics, 69, pp. 115-125.
- Carlson, J. P., Vincent, L. H., Hardesty, D. M., Bearden, W. O. (2009), Objective and Subjective Knowledge Relationships: A Quantitative Analysis of Consumer Research Findings, Journal of Consumer Research, 35, pp. 864-876.
- Coenders, G., Saris, W. E. (1995), Categorization and measurement quality. The choice between Pearson and Polychoric correlations. In: Saris, W.E., Munnich, A. (eds.) The multitrait-multimethod approach to evaluate measurement instruments, Budapest: Eotvos University Press, pp. 125-144.
- Cronin, J., Smith, J., Gleim, M., Ramirez, E., Martinez, J. (2011), Green marketing strategies: an examination of stakeholders and the opportunities they present, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 39, pp. 158-174.
- D'astous, A., Legendre, A. (2009), Une étude exploratoire de quelques antécédents de la consommation socialement responsable (CSR), Revue Française du Marketing, pp. 39-51.
- Darke, P. R., Ritchie, R. J. B. (2007), The Defensive Consumer: Advertising Deception, Defensive Processing, and Distrust, Journal of Marketing Research, 44, pp. 114-127.
- Drasgow, F. (1988), Polychoric and polyserial correlations. In: Kotz, L., Johnson, N.L. (eds.) Encyclopedia of statistical sciences, New York: Wiley, pp. 69-74.
- Ellen, P. S. (1994), Do We Know What We Need to Know? Objective and Subjective Knowledge Effects on Pro-Ecological Behaviors, Journal of Business Research, 30, pp. 43-52.
- Ellen, P. S., Wiener, J. L., Cobb-Walgren, C. (1991), The Role of Perceived Consumer Effectiveness in Motivating Environmentally Conscious Behaviors, Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 10, pp. 102-117.
- Fornell, C., Larcker, D. F. (1981), Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error, Journal of Marketing Research, 18, pp. 39-50.
- Gerpott, T. J., Mahmudova, I. (2010), Determinants of price mark-up tolerance for green electricity - lessons for environmental marketing strategies from a study of residential electricity customers in Germany, Business Strategy & the Environment, 19, pp. 304-318.
- Green, S. B., Akey, T. M., Fleming, K. K., Hershberger, S. L., Marquis, J. G. (1997), Effect of the number of scale points on chi-square fit indices in confirmatory factor analysis, Structural Equation Modeling, 4, pp. 108-120.
- Kim, Y., Choi, S. M. (2005), Antecedents of green purchase behavior: An examination of collectivism, environmental concern, and PCE. In: Menon, G., Rao, A.R., eds. Advances in Consumer Research, Duluth, MN, Association for Consumer Research, pp. 592-599.
- Lee, J. A., Holden, S. J. S. (1999), Understanding the Determinants of Environmentally Conscious Behavior, Psychology & Marketing, 16, pp. 373-392.
- Leonidou, L. C., Leonidou, C. N., Kvasova, O. (2010), Antecedents and outcomes of consumer environmentally friendly attitudes and behaviour, Journal of Marketing Management, 26, pp. 1319-1344.
- Loehlin, J. C. (2004), Latent Variable Models: An introduction to factor, path, and structural equation analysis, Mahwah, Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Mackenzie, S. B., Podsakoff, P. M., Podsakoff, N. P. (2011), Construct measurement and validation procedures in MIS and behavioral research: integrating new and existing techniques, MIS Q., 35, pp. 293-334.
- Mohr, L. A., Eroglu, D., Ellen, P. S. (1998), The Development and Testing of a Measure of Skepticism Toward Environmental Claims in Marketers' Communications, Journal of Consumer Affairs, 32, pp. 30-55.
- Moisander, J. (2007), Motivational complexity of green consumerism, International Journal of Consumer Studies, 31, pp. 404-409.
- Mostafa, M. M. (2006), Antecedents of Egyptian Consumers' Green Purchase Intentions: A Hierarchical Multivariate Regression Model, Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 19, pp. 97-126.
- Mostafa, M. M. (2007), A hierarchical analysis of the green consciousness of the Egyptian consumer, Psychology & Marketing, 24, pp. 445-473.
- Obermiller, C., Spangenberg, E. R. (1998), Development of a Scale to Measure Consumer Skepticism Toward Advertising, Journal of Consumer Psychology, 7, pp. 159-186.
- Ottman, J. A., Stafford, E. R., Hartman, C. L. (2006), Avoiding green marketing myopia, Environment, 48, pp. 22-36.
- Paço, A., Raposo, M. (2010), Green consumer market segmentation: empirical findings from Portugal, International Journal of Consumer Studies, 34, pp. 429-436.
- Paço, A. F., Raposo, M. (2008), Determining the characteristics to profile the "green" consumer: an exploratory approach, International Review on Public and Nonprofit Marketing, 5, pp. 129-140.
- Park, C. W., Lessig, V. P. (1981), Familiarity and Its Impact on Consumer Decision Biases and Heuristics, Journal of Consumer Research, 8, pp. 223-230.
- Park, C. W., Mothersbaugh, D. L., Feick, L. (1994), Consumer Knowledge Assessment, Journal of Consumer Research, 21, pp. 71-82.
- Peattie, K. (2001), Towards Sustainability: The Third Age of Green Marketing, Marketing Review, 2, pp. 129.
- Pieniak, Z., Aertsens, J., Verbeke, W. (2010), Subjective and objective knowledge as determinants of organic vegetables consumption, Food Quality and Preference, 21, pp. 581-588.
- Raju, P. S., Lonial, S. C., Mangold, W. G. (1995), Differential Effects of Subjective Knowledge, Objective Knowledge, and Usage Experience on Decision Making: An Exploratory Investigation, Journal of Consumer Psychology, 4, pp. 153-180.
- Revilla, M., Saris, W. E. (2009), Choosing the number of categories in agree-disagree scales, RECSM Working Paper, Barcelona: Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Roberts, J. A. (1996), Green consumers in the 1990s: Profile and implications for advertising, Journal of Business Research, 36, pp. 217-231.
- Roberts, J. A., Bacon, D. R. (1997), Exploring the Subtle Relationships between Environmental Concern and Ecologically Conscious Consumer Behavior, Journal of Business Research, 40, pp. 79-89.
- Saris, W. E., Revilla, M., Krosnick, J. A., Shaeffer, E. M. (2010), Comparing Questions with Agree/Disagree Response Options to Questions with Item-Specific Response Options, Survey Research Methods, 4, pp. 61-79.
- Shrout, P., Bolger, N. (2002), Mediation in experimental and nonexperimental studies: New procedures and recommendations, Psychological Methods, 7, pp. 422-445.
- Straughan, R. D., Roberts, J. A. (1999), Environmental segmentation alternatives: a look at green consumer behavior in the new millennium, Journal of Consumer Marketing, 16, pp. 531-575.
- Tan, B.-C. (2011), The Role of Perceived Consumer Effectiveness on Value-Attitude-Behaviour Model in Green Buying Behaviour Context, Australian Journal of Basic & Applied Sciences, 5, pp. 1766-1771.
- Thompson, D. W., Anderson, R. C., Hansen, E. N., Kahle, L. R. (2010), Green segmentation and environmental certification: insights from forest products, Business Strategy & the Environment, 19, pp. 319-334.
- Van Kempen, L., Muradian, R., Sandóval, C., Castañeda, J.-P. (2009), Too poor to be green consumers? A field experiment on revealed preferences for firewood in rural Guatemala, Ecological Economics, 68, pp. 2160-2167.
- Vermeir, I., Verbeke, W. (2006), Sustainable Food Consumption: Exploring the Consumer "Attitude - Behavioral Intention" Gap, Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics, 19, pp. 169-194.
- Yang-Wallentin, F., Jöreskog, K. G., Luo, H. (2010), Confirmatory Factor Analysis of Ordinal Variables With Misspecified Models, Structural Equation Modeling, 17, pp. 392-423.