Current Analysis of Orcharding in the Isparta Province (Turkey)
In this study, orcharding activity in the Isparta Province, Turkey, is analysed. Until a few years ago, the economy of Isparta was associated with hand carpet weaving, rose-growing and rose-oil extraction. However, over the last few years orcharding has attracted attention as the most important economic activity in Isparta. This is especially visible in the districts of Egirdir, Gelendost, Senirkent and Yalvaç where many kinds of fruits, specifically apples and cherries, are grown for the market. Physical geography features of Isparta have an important potential for developing orcharding. Suitable climatic conditions, fertile soils and fresh water resources, both surface and underground, are distinctive elements of this potential. In addition, irrigation projects, modern agricultural techniques, quality and resistible fruit types, appropriate fertilisation, pruning and disinfecting are human activities effecting the development of orcharding. Moreover, establishing modern and high capacity cold stores nearby the areas where fruits are grown is regarded an important factor increasing the value of Isparta fruits on the national and international markets. Thus, developing commercial orcharding in Isparta is gaining importance as a profitable activity as well as an opportunity for rural population for employment in fruit picking, storing, packaging and transporting. The emphasis of this study is put on current development of orcharding, distribution of apple, cherry, grape and other fruits production, reasons for this distribution and problems associated with orcharding in Isparta. Besides formal data collection, the findings obtained during field studies in Bogazova as well as on the Uluborlu-Senirkent and Gelendost Plains enable the authors to conclude that orcharding has become the most important rural activity in the region. (original abstract)
- Akbulut, M., 2008: Karadeniz Bölgesinin Meyve ve Sebze Muhafaza Potansiyeli (Conservation Potential for Vegetation and Fruit in Black Sea Region of Turkey - in Turkish). In: Bahçe Ürünlerinde IV, Muhafaza ve Pazarlama Sempozyumu, Antalaya: Akdeniz Üniversitesi Ziraat Fakültesi Bahçe Bitkileri Bölümü, pp. 108-116.
- Almanac of Isparta, 1996.
- Anaç, D. and Çolak-Esetlili, B., 2012: Türkiye'de Toprak Verimliliğinin Gelişimi ve Tarihçesi (History and Development of Soil Fertility in Turkey - in Turkish). In: Toprak Bilimi ve Bitki Besleme Dergisi, 1(1), pp. 20-22.
- Dokuzoğuz, M., 1960: Meyve ve Sebzelerde Hasat, Tasnif, Ambalaj, Muhafaza, Nakil (Harvest, Classification, Packaging and Conservation Process for Fruit and Vegetable - in Turkish). In: Ege Üniversitesi Ziraat Fakültesi (Translation from L.L. Claypoll), Yayın No: 10, İzmir.
- Isparta Governership, 1996: The Isparta Province Almanac, P. L.
- Isparta Provincial Directorate of Food, Agriculture and Livestock, Related Data.
- Karaca, A. and Turgay, O.C., 2012: Toprak Kirliliği (Soil Pollution - in Turkish). In: Toprak Bilimi ve Bitki Besleme Dergisi, 1(1), pp. 13-19.
- Karaçalı, İ., 2006: Bahçe Ürünlerinin Muhafazası ve Pazarlanması (Marketing and Conservation of Horticultural Crops - in Turkish), İzmir: Ege Üniversitesi Basım Evi.
- Okudum, R., 2012: Soğuk Hava Depolarının Dağılışı ve Coğrafi Analizi: Isparta İli Örneği (Geographical Analyze and Distribution of Cold Stores: Isparta Province Case - in Turkish), Isparta: Süleyman Demirel Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Yayınlanmamış Yüksek Lisans Tezi.
- Sargın, S., 2006: Sütçüler'de Kır Yerleşmeleri ve Yerleşme Düzenine Etki Eden Faktörler (Rural Settlements in Sütçüler District and Effective Factors on Settlement Pattern - in Turkish). In: Fırat Üniv. Sosyal Bilimler Enst. Dergisi, Elazığ, (1), pp. 16.
- Sargın, S. and Akengin, H., 2009: Akşehir Kırlarında Nüfus, Yerleşme ve Arazi Kullanımı (Characteristic of Population, Settlement and Landuse in Rural Settlements of Akşehir - in Turkish), Isparta: SDÜ Fen Edebiyat Fakültesi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, p. 19
- Temurçin, K., 2004: Isparta İli Ekonomik Coğrafyası (Economical Geography of Isparta Province - in Turkish), Ankara Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Doktora Tezi, Ankara.
- Trivedi, T.P., 2008: Handbook of Agriculture, Directorate of Information and Publications of Agriculture, New Delhi, India: Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
- Turkish Statistical Institute, Related data.
- Zengin, E., 2001: Azerbaycan'da Tarım Topraklarının Problemleri (The Problems of Agriculture Land in Azerbaijan - in Turkish). In: Ekoloji Çevre Dergisi, Cilt: 10, V. 38, pp. 28-30.