Perception Prism of State Authorities and NGOs on Migration in Ukraine
This paper does not pursue the goal of providing a profound analysis of the migration situation in Ukraine but rather presents the views of two sets of actors on the issue: Ukrainian migration authorities and leading NGOs. This paper provides a valuable insight in that the opinions of both of these groups of actors are combined in a single work. This is a perspective that is not frequently examined, partly due to the difficulty of accessing state authorities in Ukraine. Using a qualitative interviewing method, this article highlights migration aspirations in Ukraine in the scope and to the extent that they have been perceived as relevant by Ukrainian state authorities and NGO leaders. To provide context to this issue, new developments in the state migration policy are detailed here. Additionally, perceived policy implications on migration tendencies as well as some migration outcomes are given particular attention. This article also explores how media discourse on migration in the country is articulated by the considered actors and more importantly, whether any change in the discourse is evident for the time being, what this change is about and what are respective explanations. (original abstract)
- Alcid, MLL. (2003), Overseas Filipino Workers: Sacrificial Lambs at the Altar of Deregulation, in E Ostergaard-Nielsen (ed.), International Migration and Sending Countries: Perceptions, Policies and Transnational Relations, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 99-118.
- Appleyard, R. (1989), Migration and development: Myths and reality", International Migration Review, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 486-499.
- Basch, L., Glick Schiller, N. & Blanc-Szanton, C. (1994), Nations unbound: Transnational projects, postcolonial predicaments, and deterritorialized nation-states, New York: Gordon & Breach.
- Bilan, Y. (2012), Specificity of border labour migration, Transformations in Business & Economics, Vol. 11, No 2 (26), pp. 82-97.
- Braichevska, O., Volosiuk, H., Malynovska, O., Pylynskyi, Y., Popson N. & Ruble, B. (2003), Nontraditional Immigrants in Kyiv", Kennan Institute, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Schoolars, viewed 15 September 2012, <http://www.kennan.kiev.ua/kkp/content/publications/Immigrants.pdf>.
- Castells, M. (1997), Communal heavens: identity and meaning in the network society, in: The Power of Identity: the information age - economy, society and culture, Massachusetts: Blackwell, pp. 5-65.
- Castles, S. & Miller, MJ. (1993), The Age of Migration, London: The Macmillan Press.
- Chumak, V., Shapovalova, N. & Kazmirkevytch, P. (2006), Ukrainian Policy in the Sphere of Irregular Migration Control, trans. Y Borshchevska, International Centre for Policy Studies, viewed 15 September 2012, < http://www.icps.com.ua/files/articles/43/53/Migration_Policy_UKR.pdf >.
- World Report 2011: Ukraine (2011), Human Rights Watch, viewed 15 September 2012, <http://www.hrw.org/world-report-2011/ukraine>.
- De Haas, H. (2007), Remittances and social development, Geneva: UNRISD.
- De Haas, H. & Plug, R. (2006), Cherishing the goose with the golden eggs: Trends in migrant remittances from Europe to Marocco 1970-2004", International Migration Review, vol. 40, issue 3, pp. 603-634.
- Gamlen, A. (2006), Diaspora Engagement Policies: What are they, and what kinds of states use them? Working paper no. 32, Oxford: Centre on Migration, Policy and Society (COMPAS), University of Oxford, viewed 15 September 2012, <http://essays.ssrc.org/remittances _anthology/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Topic_19_Gamlen.pdf>.
- Glick Schiller, N. (2005), Transborder citizenship: an outcome of legal pluralism within transnational social fields, in: F Benda-Beckmann, K., Benda-Beckmann & A. Griffiths (eds.), Mobile people, mobile law: Expanding legal relations in a contracting world (Law,justice and power), London: Ashgate, pp. 27-50.
- Monitoring of Ukrainian media on EU issues: September 2007 - February 2008, trans. Y. Borshchevska, Yevropejsky Prostir, 2 April, viewed 15 September 2012, <http://eu.prostir.ua/library/10339.html>.
- Lawrence, JR. & Shapiro, RY. (2000), Politicians Don't Pander: Political Manipulation and the Loss of Democratic Responsiveness, Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Kriesi, H., Koopmans, R., Duyvendak, JW. & Giugni, MG. (1995), New Social Movements in Western Europe: A Comparative Analysis, Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Lucas, REB & Stark, O. (1985), Motivations to Remit: Evidence from Botswana, Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pp. 901-18.
- Mansoor, A. & Quillin, B. (eds.) (2006), Migration and Remittances. Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union", The World Bank, viewed 15 September 2012, <http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTECA/Resources/257896-167856389505/Migration_FullReport.pdf>.
- McWilliams, WC. (1995), Two-Tier Politics and the Problem of Public Policy, in: MK Landy & MA Levin (eds.), New Politics of Public Policy, Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, pp. 268-276.
- Portes, A., Guarnizo, LE. & Landolt, P. (1999), The study of transnationalism: pitfalls and promise of an emergent research field", Ethnic and Racial Studies, vol. 22, pp. 217-237.
- Ratha, D. (2003), Workers' remittances: an important and stable source of external development finance", in: World Bank, Global Development Finance 2003, pp. 157-175. 21.
- Stanek, M., Hosnedlová R. (2012), Exploring Transnational Practices of Ukrainian Migrants in Spain, Economics & Sociology, Vol. 5, No 1, pp. 62-73.
- Sylina, T. (2008), Third Rate, Mirror of the Week, No. 22, 14 June, viewed 15 September 2012, < http://zn.ua/POLITICS/tretiy_sort-54015.html>.
- Taylor, JE. (1999), The new economics of labour migration and the role of remittances in the migration process, International Migration, vol. 37(1), pp.63-88.
- Tolan, F. (2005), Feminism, in P Waugh (ed.), Literary Theory and Criticism: An Oxford Guide, Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 319-339.
- Tymoshchuk, V. (2012), New Passport Law: The State Will Know Everything, trans. Y. Borshchevska, Ukrayinska Pravda, 5 October, viewed 10 October 2012, <http://www.pravda.com.ua/articles/2012/10/5/6974057/>.
- Human Rights in Ukraine 2011. XXIV. Rights of Immigrants in Ukraine, trans. Y. Borshchevska, Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union, viewed 15 September 2012, <http://helsinki.org.ua/index.php?id=1332336106>.
- Ukraine. Extended Migration Profile (2011), Building Migration Partnerships, viewed 15 September 2012, <http://www.dmsu.gov.ua/images/stories/files/Ukraine_Migration_Profile_EN_Final%202011.pdf>.
- Ustubici, A., Irdam D. (2012), The Impact of Remittances on Human Development: a Quantitative Analysis and Policy Implications, Economics & Sociology, Vol. 5, No 1, pp. 74-95.
- Verba, S. & Orren, G. (1985), Equality in America: The View from the Top, Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- Yermolenko, V. (2008), Information on EU and European integration of Ukraine in Ukrainian media. Monitoring results", trans. Y Borshchevska, National Security and Defence, no. 1(95), viewed 15 September 2012, <http://www.razumkov.org.ua/ukr/files/category_journal/NSD95_ukr.pdf>.