Real economic activity and state of financial markets
This study examines the relation between real economic activity and condition of financial markets in Poland in the framework of Consumption Based Capital Asset Pricing Model (CCAPM). The article analyses the relation between yield spreads calculated for Polish debt securities and real economic activity. Since CCAPM is the framework of presented analysis the value of real retail sale is used as a measure of real economic activity (here level of real consumption). Furthermore, since host of researchers apply in their studies the whole spectrum of measures of real economic activity the study is extended to encompass also the supply side of the economy. The outcomes for Polish economy suggest that there is some evidence that financial markets may facilitate to forecast the real economic activity. The conclusions from models evaluated for supply and demand side of economy are coherent. Although, the research is conducted on monthly time series the results are consistent with quarterly analyses done for other economies.(original abstract)
- Andrews, D. (1991): Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"Econometrica", 59(3).
- Balvers, R. J., Huang D.(2005): Productivity-Based Asset Pricing: Theory and Evidence,Working Papers 05-05, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- Belo, F. (2006): A pure production-based asset pricing model," Available at: http://home.uchicago.edu/ fbelo.
- Brock, W. A. (1982): Asset pricing in a production economy, Discussion paper, The Economics of Uncertainty and Information, University of Chicago Press.
- Cochrane, J. (1991): Using production based asset pricing to explain the behaviour of stock returns over the business cycle,"Journal of Finance".
- Estrella, A., Trubin M. R. (2006): The Yield Curve as a Leading Indicator: Some Practical Issues, in "Current Issues in Economics and Finance", vol. 12. Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ferreira, E., Martinez M. I. , Navarro E., Rubio G. (2003): Real activity and yield spreads under the consumption-based asset pricing model,Preliminary version.
- Hamilton, J. D., Kim D. H. (2000): A re-examination of the predictability of economic activity using the yield spread,in NBER Working Paper Series, no. 7954. National Bureau of Economic Research.
- Harvey, C. R. (1997): The relation between the term structure of interest rates and Canadian economic growth,"Canadian Journal of Economics".
- Mehl, A. (2006): The yield curve as predictor and emerging economies, in European Central Bank Working Papers Series, no. 691.
- Newey, W., West K. (1987): A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroskedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"Econometrica".
- Pena, J. I., Rodriguez R.(2006): On the economic link between asset prices and real activity, Business Economic Series of Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.