The Geo-demographic Dimension of Romanian Rural Space
Knowing, researching into and developing the rural space are activities of utmost importance for a country, both by the dimension of the rural space, expressed by the surface as such, and by the dimension of the demographic component (of the rural population). Referring to Romanian rural space, this is dominant, representing almost 94% of Romania's total surface (93.7%). In what concerns the demographic component (population), as it is known, this confers a particular dynamics to the rural space, generating a series of quantitative and qualitative aspects. At present the share of the rural population reaches 47% out of the total of Romania's population. Generally speaking, we can assert that the village and generally the Romanian village remains further on the main propeller of life. Thus the share of the rural population, besides the whole range of socio-demographic indicators, which can outline the degree of stability or instability of the rural space, as well as other basic indicators, such as the share of the rural population occupied in productive activities, socio-cultural services, tourism activities, etc., enhance the importance of the rural life from one country or another, reason for which the development of the rural space remains a problem of a national and international level. Consequently, the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe has raised the issue of the rural space at the level of European and Community policy. (original abstract)
- Anuarul statistic al României (The Statistical Yearbook of Romania) 1991-2008, Institutul Naţional de Statistică.
- Bold, I., Buciuman, E. and Drăghici, M. 2003: Spaţiul rural. Definire, organizare, dezvoltare (The Rural Space. Definition, Organization, Development - in Romanian), Timişoara: Editura Mirton.
- Bulgaru, M. 1997: Dreptul de a mânca (The right to eat - in Romanian), Bucureşti: Editura Economică.
- Cucu, V. 2000: Geografia aşezărilor rurale (Geography of rural settlements - in Romanian), Târgovişte: Editura Domino.
- Guran-Nica, L. and Rusu, M. 2004: Probleme de Geografie şi Economie rurală (Rural Geographyand Economy Issues - in Romanian), Bucureşti: Editura Fundaţiei România de Mâine.
- Otiman, P.I. 1997: Dezvoltarea rurală în România (The Rural Development in Romania - in Romanian), Timişoara: Editura Agroprint.
- Popescu, A. 2002: Dezvoltarea rurală (The Rural Development - in Romanian), Bucureşti: Editura Universitară.
- Population Reference Bureau, 2008: World Population Data Sheet 2008.
- Surd, V. 2002: Introducere în Geografia spaţiului rural (Introduction to the Geography of the Rural Space - in Romanian), Cluj-Napoca: Editura Presa Universitară Clujeană.
- Szymańska, D., Biegańska, J. and Gil, A. 2009: Rural areas in Poland in the context of changes in population age structure in 1996, 2001 and 2006. In Szymańska, D. and Domin, D.J. editors, Bulletin of Geography. Socio-economic Series, No. 12, Toruń: Nicolaus Copernicus University Press, pp. 91-107. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2478/v10089-009-0006-1