Bulgarian Urban Settlements in the Early 21st Century
The article presents the main changes in Bulgarian urban settlements during the last two decades and the present-day situation and processes of their development. A pronounced tendency towards a decrease in the urban population in Bulgaria can be observed in this period, which is closely related to the continuing drop in the total number of the country's population. A comparison with earlier periods shows that there is a greater concentration of population in the cities and middle-sized towns. The processes of transformation in Bulgarian urban settlements are similar to those in the other Central and East-European countries in transition. The economic transformations and the changes in the urban economy affected the urban territorial structure. The last two decades have witnessed considerable changes in the spatial pattern of the complex systems links established between the settlements as well as between the settlements, gravitating to the cities or agglomerations. The regional policy, which has been implemented for the past two decades, aims to consolidate the importance of Bulgarian urban settlements (over 20 thousand inhabitants) and agglomerations in regional development. (original abstract)
- ЕSPON 1.1.1. Potencjali za policentrichno razvitie v Evropa - Zakluchitelen doklad ot August, 2004 (ESPON 1.1.1. Potentials for policentric development in Europe. Final report, 2004 - in Bulgarian).
- Hołowiecka, B. and Szymańska, D. 2008: The changes in the functional urban region in the new social-economic conditions in Poland. The case of Toruń. In Szymańska, D. and Grzelak-Kostulska, E. editors, Bulletin of Geography. Socio-economic Series, No. 9, Toruń: Nicolaus Copernicus University Press, pp. 63-78. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2478/v10089-008-0006-6
- Grigorov, N. 1998: Teritorialnoto i selishtnoto ustrojstvo na Republika Bulgaria do 2010 godina i sled neja (The territorial and settlement construction of the Republic of Bulgaria till 2010 and after this - in Bulgarian). In Strategia za teritorialno razvitie na Republika Bulgaria (Strategy for regional development of the Republic of Bulgaria - in Bulgarian), Sofia.
- Ilieva, M. 2006: Sofia in the transformation period 1990-2004: trends and prospects. In Komornicki, T. and Czapiewski, K. editors, Core and peripheral regions in Central and Eastern Europe, Europa XXI, Polish Academy of Sciences, Stanisław Leszczycki Institute of Geography and Spatial Organization, Centre for Regional Studies, Polish Geographical Society, No. 14, рp. 95-112.
- Ilieva, М., Stefanova, D., Roukova, P. and Petrova, R. 2000: Grad Sofia i Stolichnata obshtina na granitzata na dve stoletia (The city of Sofia and the metropolitan municipality at the turn of two centuries - in Bulgarian). In Problemi na geografiata, Institute of Geography, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, No. 1-4, pp. 130-142.
- Naredba No. 5 ot 17.05.1995 za pravila i normi po teritorialno i selishtno ustrojstvo (Regulation