Role of behavioral and personality instruments in the improvement of team effectiveness in the organization
The objective of the paper is to consider the applicability of the behavioral and personality assessment instruments in recruitment, appraisal and development of organization's teams' effectiveness. It discusses the application of several widely accepted instruments: extended DiSC, MBTI and Belbin on the basis of the function to build the effective team. Each of the instruments provides insight into the team from the unique perspective and thus helps identifying team's strong and weak points. This constitutes important learning points for the improvement of the team effectiveness. The paper's major conclusion is that the combined use of the these instruments improves the quality of the managerial decision making concerning setting up and the developing of the effective organizational teams.(original abstract)
- Armstrong, M., 2001. A handbook of human resource management practice, 8th edition, Kogan Page
- Belbin, R., 2004. Management teams, 2nd edition, Elsevier
- Boneli, G., Cable, G., Higgs, M., 1995. "What Makes Team Work Better", Team Performance Management, Vol.1, No.3, pp.28-37
- Bradelyn, J., Hebert F., 1997. "The effect of personality type on team performance", Journal of Management Development, Vol.16, No.5, 1997, 337-53
- Briggs, I., Myers, P., 1995. Gifts deferring: Understanding personality type, Davies-Black Publishing, 1995, Palo Alto, California, USA
- Irvine, S., 2003. Personal Profile Analysis, The Technical Resource Book, Thomas International
- Karakowsky, L., McBey, K., Chuang, Y.-T., 2004. "Perception of team performance: The impact of group composition and task based cues", Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol.6,No.5, 2004,pp.506-25
- Lievens, F., Van Dam, K., Anderson, N., 2002. "Recent Trends and Challenges in Personnel Selection", Personnel Review, Vol.31, No.5, 2002, pp.580-601
- Research Report, 1996. A comparison of DiSC classic and the Myers-Briggs type indicator, Inscape Publishing Inc.
- Research Report, 1996. DiSC classic and models of personality, Inscape Publishing Inc.