Competitiveness of the Romanian Agri-Food Trade and the New Agricultural Policies
For the last two decades, policies influenced significantly the evolution and performances of the Romanian international agri-food trade. Romania's accession to the EU and the enforcement of the CAP and Single Market rules resulted in new priorities and orientations in the agri-food trade. Consequently. Romania performed better on the intra- and extra-EU markets, and the agri-food trade increased significantly both in volume and value. The structure of the trade flows changed as well. The paper is analysing these changes, which products and groups of products gained and lost on the EU and the global markets, how they were influenced by the past policies and the introduction of the CAP. At the same time, the paper is evaluating the influence and possible implications of the new agricultural policy on the competitiveness of the Romanian agri-food trade.(fragment of text)
- 1. European Commission: Territorial competitiveness - Creating a territorial development strategy in light of the LEADER experience, "Rural Innovation" Dossier n° 6 - LEADER European Observatory, December 1999a, from http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/rur/lead-er2/rural-en/bibl io/compet /intro .htm.
- 2. European Commission: Sixth Periodic Report on the Social and Economic Situation of Regions in the EU, 1999b.
- 3. Gavrilescu C: Recent trends in the Romanian agri-food trade with Hungary. Scientific Papers - Agricultural Management, series I, vol. XV(1). Timisoara, 2013.
- 4. Rusali M., Gavrilescu C'. Romanian agricultural products' competitive advantages and disadvantages in the external commercial relations. Scientific Papers - Agricultural Management, series I, vol. X(l), Timisoara, 2008.
- 5. Schaller L., Kapfer M., Kantelhardt J., Van Zanten B., Verburg P.: Landscape as a driver for competitiveness (FP 7 Project no. 289578-Claim "Supporting the role of the Common Aagricultural Policy in Landscape valorization: Improving the knowledge base of the contribution of landscape management to the rural economy", Deliverable D3.14). Lead beneficiary VU-IVM. Amsterdam 2012.
- 6. Thomson N., Ward N.: Rural areas and regional competitiveness. Report to Local Government Rural Network. Centre for Rural Economy Research, 2005.
- 7. Voicila§ M.: Gains and loses of Romanian agri-food products on EU intra-trade market. Paper presented at the 2nd International Conference "Competitiveness of agro-food and environmental economy". University of Economic Studies, Bucharest, November 2013.