Public Contracts by Negotiated Procedure in Cases of Urgency - a New Interpretation of the Legal Basis in Light of Experiences with Organization of the 2012 European Football Championships
The negotiated procedure without publication of a contract notice is a special procedure for awarding public procurement contracts which departs from the obligation imposed on contracting authorities of respecting the freedoms of the internal market and rules of competition. The procedure may be applied in exceptional situations of extreme urgency resulting from an event which could not be foreseen. The current judicature of the Court of Justice of the EU provides interpretations of the legal basis for application of the procedure in specific cases. However, it does not address the issue of whether it is possible to regard improper performance of contractual obligations as unpredictable. It does not provide broader considerations concerning the form of regulations on the procedure of awarding public interest contracts either. These issues were subject to analysis in one of the resolutions of the National Appeal Chamber (KIO) - the Polish authority issuing decisions in matters related to public procurement contracts. In resolution KIO/KD 58/10 of 6 August 2010, KIO assessed the correctness of the application of the negotiated procedure for changing the contractor of the Municipal Stadium in Wrocław in the run-up to the 2012 European Football Championships. KIO found that the significant delay in construction of the facility was unpredictably exceptional, and significantly threatened the timeliness of commissioning the facility, which resulted in termination of the agreement by the contracting authority. The resolution also included an assessment allowing for the position that such a situation was exceptional due to the scale of the threat to the public interest, including the commercial interest of the contracting authority, stemming from a lack of immediate performance of the contract if it resulted in disproportionate consequences for a specific community. The issue of acceptance of such an interpretation by EU institutions remains unresolved. (original abstract)
- Article 15 of Council Directive 71/305/EEC of 26 July 1971 concerning the coordination of procedures for the award of public works contracts  OJ L185/5.
- C-385/02 Commission of the European Communities v Italian Republic ECR I-1249, paras 25,27-28.
- Case C-107/92 Commission of the European Communities ν Italian Republic  ECR I-4655, para 12.
- Case C-126/03 Commission of the European Communities v Federal Republic of Germany ECR I-11197.
- Case C-24/91 Commission of the European Communities v Kingdom of Spain  ECRI-01989, paras 6,8,15.
- Case C-24/91 Commission of the European Communities v Kingdom of Spain  ECR I-01989, para4.
- Case C-318/94 Commission v Germany  ECR I-1949, para 13.
- Case C-385/02 Commission of the European Communities v Italian Republic  ECR I-08121, para 19.
- Case C-394/02Commission of the European Communities v Hellenic Republic  ECR I-04713, para40.
- Case C-525/03 Commission of the European Communities v Italian Republic  ECRI-09405, paras 13-17.
- Case C-57/94 Commission v Italy  ECR I-1249, para 23.
- Case C-84/03 Commission of the European Communities v Kingdom of Spain  ECRI-00139, para 49.
- Control on the basis of Article 165-168a of the Public Procurement Law.
- Council Directive 89/665/EEC of 21 December 1989 on the coordination of the laws,regulations and administrative provisions relating to the application of review procedures to the award of public supply and public works contracts  OJ L 395/33.
- Council Directive 92/13/EEC of 25 February 1992 coordinating the laws, regulations and administrative provisions relating to the application of Community rules on the procurement procedures of entities operating in the water, energy, transport and telecommunications sectors  OJ L 76/14.
- Directive 2004/17/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 31 March 2004coordinating the procurement procedures of entities operating in the water, energy, transportand postal services sectors  OJ L134/1.
- Directive 2004/18/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 31 March 2004 onthe coordination of procedures for the award of public works contracts, public supply contracts and public service contracts  OJ L134/114.
- Directive 2007/66/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 December 2007amending Council Directives 89/665/EEC and 92/13/EEC with regard to improving the effectiveness of review procedures concerning the award of public contracts  OJ L335/31.
- Granecki P., Prawo zamówień publicznych. Komentarz (C.o.Beck 2012), s.701.
- http://www.polskieradio.pl/5/3/Artykul/494384,Bruksela-oskarza-Polske-Stadion-bezprzetarguaccessed 16 December 2012.
- Information on short-term control as regards legality of selection of a negotiated contract awarding procedure dated 9.07.2010, UZP/DKD/KSR/2299/13638/10<www.uzp.gov.pl/cmsws/page/?PDF;1146> accessed 16 December 2012.
- Local self - government Act 8 March 1990 Article 1, "Journal of Laws" 2001, no. 142, item 1591.
- Monitor Prawniczy 808.
- Motyka-Mojkowski M., Obowiązek pro unijnej wykładni Prawa zamówień publicznych na przykładzie uchwały KIO w sprawie zasadności udzielenia zamówienia z wolnej ręki (2011).
- On the basis of media reports: http://www.gazetawroclawska.pl/artykul/480327,brukselaoskarzy-polske-za-budowe-wroclawskiego-stadionu,id,t.html
- Public Procurement Act 29 January 2004, "Journal of Laws" 2010, no 113, item 759).
- Resolution KIO/KD 58/10of 6 August 2010<www.uzp.gov.pl/cmsws/page/GetFile1.aspx?attid=2102> accessed 16 December 2012.
- Sołtysińska A., Europejskie prawo zamówień publicznych (Zakamycze 2006), s. 259.
- Sołtysińska A., Zamówienia publiczne w Unii Europejskiej (Zakamycze 2004), s. 145-146.
- Szydło M., Swobody rynku wewnętrznego a reguły konkurencji. Między konwergencją adywergencją (TNOiK Dom Organizatora Toruń 2006), s. 67.
- Szydło M., Udzielanie zamówienia publicznego jako pomoc państwa w rozumieniu art. 87 ust. 1 Traktatu ustanawiającego Wspólnotę Europejską (2007) 2, "Kwartalnik Prawa Prywatnego", s. 354-398.
- The Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union  OJ L 83/47.
- Wicik G., Wiśniewski P., Prawo zamówień publicznych. Komentarz (C.o. Beck 2012), s. 379.