An Assessment of Record Management System in Establishment Division of Two Universities in Nigeria
The major purpose of this study was to assess record management of the Federal University of Technology, Minna Nigeria and Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University Lapai, Nigeria. In carrying out this study, four (4) research questions were posed. The study sample population comprised of 88 staff (46 staff from the establishment division of the Federal University of Technology, Minna and 42 staff from the establishment division of the Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai. The instrument used for data collection was questionnaire. The research questions were answered using frequency and percentages. The major findings of the study revealed: ineffectiveness in record management practices, incompetent personnel, inadequate infrastructural facilities, constant power failure. Based on these findings, the following recommendations were made. Effort should be made for provision of standby generator as an alternative to power supply, training of staff to handle the universities‟ record, provision of adequate fund and enough infrastructural facilities. (original abstract)
-  Afolabi M. (2004). Educational Training Archivists and Record Managers in Africa. Annual Conference Procedure of the Society of Nigerian Archivists, Lagos: SNA, pp. 61-67.
-  Akangbou S. D. (2003). The Economics of Educational planning in Nigeria, Vikas publishing House, PVT Ltd Anseri Road, New Delhi, India pp. 13.
-  Fabunmi M. (2004). Perspective in Educational Planning.u0dun Prints and pack; Agbowo, Ibadan Nigeria.
-  Ibiam N. (2004). Education Banking: Facts Figures and Benefits: A Paper Presented at a Seminar Organized by the Rivers State Ministry of Education for Private Schools Operators. April, 27-28, 2004.
-  Iguodala W. A. (1998). Records in Educational Management in Educational Management for Sub-Saharan African. Mon Nwadiani Dimensions of Education Series No 2. Nigerian Society for Educational Planning (NSEP) Monose Amalgamates.
-  Igwoku I. F. (2008). An Analysis of Record Management Strategies in Western Nigeria. M. Ed. Dissertation, Unpublished. Abraka: Delta-State University.
-  Isah E. A. (2007). Institutional Records Management Analysis of Students Academic Records: A case study of the University of Ibadan. Unpublished M. Ed thesis of the Department of Educational Management, University of Ibadan.
-  Iwhiwhu E. B., The Journal of Electronic Library 23(3) (2005) 345-355.
-  Kemoni H., Wamukoya J. (2000). Preparing for the management of electronic records at Moi Kenned Jay & Cherryl Schauder (1998). Records Management: A Guide to Corporate Record Keeping. Melbourne: Longman.
-  Longe R. S. (2001). Introduction of Educational Planning. Seminar paper of the Educational planning Unit. Department of Educational management, University of Ibadan.
-  Lundu M. C., Mbewe G. (2004). Factors retraining the formulation and Implementation of National Information Policy (NIP) Process.
-  Nwankwo J. I. (2001). Fundamental of Management information systems. Spectrum books Ltd., Ibadan.
-  Nworgu B. G. (2006). Educational Research Basic Issues and Methodology. Enugu University.
-  O'brien I. A. (1998). Foundation to Information systems, Irvin Megraw Hill Companies U.S.A.
-  Okwilagwe O. A., Njoku I. F. (2002). Availability and Accessibility of ICTS to Nigerian publishers for book marketing business. African Journal of Educational Management Vol. 10. No 2: Journal of Department of Educational Management University of Ibadan.
-  Omeyi A. S. (2002). Effective Record Management, a Tool for Effective Counselling in the School System. Journal of Counselling and Communication, (Counselling Association of Nigeria, Anambra State Chapter in Conjunction with Guidance and Counselling Units, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka).
-  Penn I. A., Pennix G., Coulson I. (1994). 'Records management handbook' 2nd ed. Gower p.7 An assessment of the current evidence base demonstrating the benefits of investing in the improvement of records management 21 of 27.
-  Popoola S. O. (2000). A cost model approach to records management system in the Oyo State Civil Service, Nigeria. A Ph. D Thesis, University of Ibadan, Ibadan.
-  Popoola S. O., Oluwole D. A., Career commitment among records management personnel in a state civil service in Nigeria. Records Management Journal 17(2) (2007).
-  South Africa. Records Management Policy Manual. [Online] Available from: http://www.national.archives.gov.za [Accessed: 13 June 2012].
-  Thomassen T. (2002). A first introduction to archival science. Kluwer Academic Publishers: Amsterdam.
-  Ugwunze V. I. (1999). An examination of records management in the University of Lagos registry. Archives and Information Science 2(1): 34-46. University, Kenya: a case study. African Journal of Library, Archives and Information Science. Oct; 10(2): 125-38.
-  Van der Waldt G., Van Niekerk Doyle M., Knipe A., Du Toit, D. (2002). Managing for results in government. Sandown: Heinemann.
-  Van der Waldt G., Venter S., Phutiagae K., Khalo T., Van Niekerk D., Nealer E. (2007). Municipal Management: Serving the People. Cape Town: ABC Press.