Management Trust, Organizational Trust, and Organizational Performance : Advancing and Measuring a Theoretical Model
The purpose of this study was to propose a theoretical model and empirically measure whether trust impacts organizational performance. This study focused on three constructs: management trust (MT); organizational trust (OT); and organizational performance (OP). Specifically, the results of this study determined whether management trust (MT) significantly and positively contributes to organizational trust (OT) and whether organizational trust (OT) significantly and positively contributes to organizational performance (OP). Based on the findings, recommendations were made for building and sustaining a culture that will lead to improved organizational performance). (original abstract)
-  Kramer R.M., Trust and distrust in organizations: Emerging perspectives, enduring questions, Annual Review of Psychology, 50, 569-598, 1999.
-  Lewicki R.J., Wiethoff C., Tomlinson E.C., What is the role of trust in organizational justice? In J. Greenberg, J. A. Colquitt (Eds.), Handbook of organizational justice, Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers, pp. 247-270, 2005.
-  Mayer R.C., Davis J.H., Schoorman F.D., An integrative model of organizational trust, Academy of Management Review, 20, 709-734, 1995.
-  McAllister D.J., Affect- and cognition-based trust as foundations for interpersonal cooperation in organizations, Academy of Management Journal, 38, 24-59, 1995.
-  Colquitt J.A., Scott B.A., LePine J.A., Trust, trustworthiness, and trust propensity: A meta-analytic test of their unique relationships with risk taking and job performance, Journal of Applied Psychology, 92, 909-927, 2007.
-  Aryee S.A., Budhwar P., Chen Z., Trust as a mediator of the relationship between organizational justice and organizational outcomes: Test of a social exchange model, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 23, 267-285, 2002.
-  Costigan R.D., Ilter S.S., Berman J.J., A multidimensional study of trust in organizations, Journal of Managerial Issues, 10, 303-317, 1998.
-  Herzberg L., On the attitude of trust, Inquiry, 31, 307-322, 1988.
-  Gibb J.R., Trust, a New View of Personal and Organizational Development, Guild of Tutors Press, International College, Los Angeles, 1978.
-  Wrightsman L.S., Personality and attitudinal correlates of trusting and trustworthy behaviors in a two-person game, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 4, 328-332, 1966.
-  Rotter J.B., Generalized expectancies for interpersonal trust, American Psychologist, 26 (5), 443-452, 1971.
-  Granoveter M., Economic action and social structure, American Journal of Sociology, 91 (3), 481-510, 1985.
-  Zucker L.G., Production of trust: institutional sources of economic structure 1840-1920, Research in Organizational Behaviour, 8, 53-111, 1986.
-  Ganesan S., Determinant of long- term orientation in buyer - seller relationships, Journal of Marketing, 58 (April), 1-19, 1994.
-  Aulakh P.S., Kotabe M., Sahay A., Trust and performance in cross- border marketing partnerships: A behavioral approach, International Business Studies, 27 (5), 1005-1032, 1996.
-  Norman P.M., Protecting knowledge in strategic alliances: Resource and relational characteristics, Journal of High Technology Management Research, 13 (2), 177- 202, 2002.
-  Young-Ybarra C., Wiersema M.F., Strategic flexibility in information technology alliances: The influence of transaction cost economics and social exchange theory, Organization Science, 10 (4), 439-459, 1999.
-  Butler J.K., Cantrell R.S., A behavioral decision theory approach to modeling dyadic trust in supervisors and subordinates, Psychological Reports, 55, 19-28, 1984.
-  Deluga R.J., Supervisor trust building, leader - member exchange and organizational citizenship behavior, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 67, 315- 326, 1994.
-  Tan H.H., Tan C.S., Toward the differentiation of trust in supervisor and trust in organization, Genetic, Social and General Psychology Monographs, 126, 241-260, 2000.
-  Brown S.P., Leigh T.W., A new look at psychological climate and its relationship to job involvement, effort, and performance, Journal of Applied Psychology, 81, 358-36, 19968.
-  Whitener E.M., Brodt, S.E., Korsgaard M.A., Werner J.M., Managers as initiators of trust: An exchange relationship framework for understanding managerial trustworthy behavior, Academy of Management Review, 23, 513-530, 1998.
-  Davis J., Schoorman F.D., Mayer R., Tan H., Trusted unit manager and business unit performance: Empirical evidence of a competitive advantage, Strategic Management, 21 (1), 563-576, 2000.
-  Morgan D.E., Zeffane R., Employee involvement, organizational change and trust in management, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 14 (1), 55-75, 2003.
-  Connell J., Ferres N., Travaglione T., Trust in the workplace: The importance of interpersonal and organizational support, Journal of Management Research, 3 (2), 113-118, 2003.
-  Blau P.M., Exchange and power in social life, New York: Wiley, 1964.
-  Burke C.S., Sims D.E., Lassara E.H., Salas E., Trust in leadership: A multi-level review and integration, The Leadership Quarterly, 18 (6), 606-632, 2007.
-  Dirks K.T., Ferrin D.L., Trust in leadership: Metaanalytic findings and implications for research and practice, Journal of Applied Psychology, 92, 909-927, 2002.
-  Wang S., Tomlinson E.C., Noe R., The role of mentor trust and protégé internal locus of control in formal mentoring relationships, Journal of Applied Psychology, 95 (2), 358-367, 2010.
-  Yang J., Mossholder K.W., Examining the effects of trust in leaders: A bases-and-foci approach, The Leadership Quarterly, 21 (1), 50-63, 2010.
-  Schaubroeck J., Lam S.S.K., Peng A.C., Cognitionbased and affect-based trust as mediators of leader behavior influences on team performance, Journal of Applied Psychology, 96 (4), 863-871, 2011.
-  Zhu W., Newman A., Miao Q., Hooke A., Revisiting the mediating role of trust in transformational leadership effects: Do different types of trust make a difference? The Leadership Quarterly, 24, 94-105, 2013.
-  Wayne S.J., Shore L.M., Liden R.C., Perceived organizational support and leader - member exchange: A social exchange perspective, Academy of Management Journal, 40, 82-111, 1997.
-  Wong Y.T., Ngo H.Y., Wong C.S., Antecedent and outcomes of employees' trust in Chinese joint ventures, Asian Pacific Journal of Management, 20, 481-494, 2003.
-  Pearce J.L., Toward an organizational behavior of contract laborers: Their psychological involvement and effects on employee co-workers, Academy of Management Journal, 36, 1082-1096, 1993.
-  Lewis J.D., Weigert A., Trust as social reality, Social Forces, 63, 967-985, 1985.
-  Lavelle J.J., Rupp D.E., Brockner J., Taking a multifoci approach to the study of justice, social exchange, and citizenship behavior: The target similarity model, Journal of Management, 33, 841- 866, 2007.
-  Kiefer T., Feeling bad: antecedents and consequences of negative emotions in ongoing change, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 26, 875-897, 2005.
-  Wong Y.T., Wong C.S., Ngo H.Y., Lui H.K., Different responses to job insecurity of Chinese workers in joint ventures and state-owned enterprises. Human Relations, 58, 1391-1418, 2005.
-  Atuahene-Gima K, Li Haiyang, When does trust matter? Antecedents and contingent effects of supervisee trust on performance in selling new products in China and the United States, Journal of Marketing, 66, 61-81, 2002.
-  Barney J.B., Hansen H., Trustworthiness as a source of competitive advantage, Strategic Management Journal, 15, 175-190, 1994.
-  Deming W.E., The Trust Factor: Liberating Profits and Restoring Corporate Vitality Whitney J.O. (Ed.), New York: McGraw-Hill, 1994.
-  Paliszkiewicz J., Koohang A., Nord J., Management trust, organizational trust, and organizational performance: Empirical validation of an instrument, Online Journal of Applied Knowledge Management, (2014 - forthcoming) 2 (1).
-  Paliszkiewicz J., Organizational trust - a critical review of the empirical research, in: Proceedings of 2010 International Conference on Technology Innovation and Industrial Management, 16-18 June 2010 Pattaya, Thailand.
-  Paliszkiewicz J., Zaufanie w zarządzaniu [Trust In management], Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN, Warsaw, 2013.
-  Chin W., The Partial Least Squares Approach to Structural Equation Modeling, in Modern Methods for Business Research, edited by George A. Marcoulides, Manwah NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, pp. 295-336, 1998.
-  Fornell C., Larcker D., Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error, Journal of Marketing Research, 18, 1, 39-50, 1981.
-  Straub D., Boudreau W., Gefen D., Validation guidelines for IS positivist research, Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 13, 1, 380-427, 1994.
-  Falk R., Miller N., A Primer for Soft Modeling, Akron, OH: University of Akron Press, 1992.
-  Rotter J.B., A new scale for the measurement of interpersonal trust, Journal of Personality, 35, 651-665, 1967.
-  Gilbert J., Li-Ping Tang T., An examination of organizational trust antecedents Public Personnel Management, 27 (3), 321-338, 1998.
-  Early P.C., Trust, perceived importance of praise and criticism, and work performance: An examination of feedback in the United States and England, Journal of Management, 12, 457-473, 1986.
-  Diffie-Couch P., Building a feeling of trust in the company, Supervisory Management, 29, 31-36, 1984.
-  Yeager S.J., Measurement of independent variables which affect communication: A replication of Roberts and O'Reilly, Psychological Reports, 43, 1319-1324, 1978.
-  Bukowitz W., Williams R., The Knowledge Management Fieldbook, Financial Times Prentice Hall, London, UK, 1999.
-  Rolland N., Chauvel D., Knowledge transfer in strategic alliances, in Despres C., Chauvel D. (Eds.), Knowledge Horizons: The Present and the Promise of Knowledge Management, Butterworth Heinemann, Boston, MA, pp. 225-236, 2000.
-  Roberts J., From know-how to show-how? Questioning the role of information and communication technologies in knowledge transfer, Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, 12 (4), 429-443, 2000.