Sustainable Cost Reductions for Community Hospitals
Reducing operating costs and improving quality of care is important for community hospitals. Efforts to reduce costs have intensified and health care leaders are searching for ideas to implement new cost saving initiatives. This presentation will identify cost saving strategies in community hospitals and also explore how to make these efforts sustainable. Historical efforts are discussed along with new strategies for cost reduction, uncovering cost saving opportunities, promoting accountability and insuring sustainability of results.(original abstract)
- American Society for healthcare Engineering. (ASHE 2003). Healthcare Energy Guide book. Weinberg Memorial Library Scranton, PA. May, 2010.
- Buell, J.M. (Jan/Feb 2011). "Shedding light on hidden costs." Healthcare Executive, 26(1), 9-16.
- Congressional Budget Office report. (CBO Nov 2007). "The long term outlook for health care spending." Weinberg Memorial Library Scranton, PA. JAN 23 2010.
- Eastaugh, Steven R., (June 17, 2006). "Specialization and hospital costs: Benefits of trimming product lines." Journal of health Care Finance, 32 (4), 29. www.pubmed.com Weinberg Memorial Library Scranton, PA. JAN 21 2010.
- Evans, John H., Hwang, Yuhchang, & Nagarajan, Nandu J. (June, 2001.) "Management control and hospital cost reduction: additional evidence." Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 20(3), 73-88. www.proquest.com Weinberg Memorial Library Scranton, PA. Feb, 2010 .
- Gupta, Yash P. (summer 1991), "Emerging productivity and cost control in the hospital industry." National Productivity Review, 10(3), 351, www.proquest.com Weinberg Memorial Library Scranton, PA. Feb, 2010.
- Gupta, Ankush. (Jan 15, 2005). "Cost containment in hospitals." Express Healthcare Management, 1(1), 15. www.proquest.com Weinberg Memorial Library Scranton, PA. Feb, 2010.
- H2E Organization. (2007). Regulated Medical Waste Reduction. www.h2eonline. org, Weinberg Memorial Library Scranton, PA. Feb, 2010.
- Ho, Vivian. (Dec 19, 2008). "The U.S. health cost crisis: Recommendations for the next administration." James A baker Institute for Public Policy Rice University. Weinberg Memorial Library Scranton, PA. Feb, 2010.
- Marmor PhD, Theodore, Oberlander PhD, Jonathan, & White PhD, Joseph. ( Apr 7, 2009). "The Obama administration's options for health care cost control: Hope versus reality." Annals of Internal Medicine, 150(7), 485-489. www.pubmed.com Weinberg Memorial Library Scranton, PA. JAN 23 2010.
- Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance. (April, 2000). Waste Source Reduction: Hospital Case Study. Itasca Medical Center. Weinberg Memorial Library Scranton, PA. Feb, 2010.
- Stanton, Mark W. (September 2002). "Reducing costs in the health care system: Learning from what has been done." Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Issue 9, 3. Weinberg Memorial Library Scranton, PA. JAN 22, 2010.
- Yokl, Robert T. (Dec 15, 2009). "Choosing cost reductions strategies for 2009." Saving Beyond Price. E.D 9.