Fuzzy Vikor Approach: Evaluating Quality of Internet Health Information
Proliferation of health related information on the internet is both welcoming and a concern. For instance when solicited information goes wrong, it tends to have dire consequences on the general public. Assessing the quality of internet health information is often difficult but a rational and systematic approach can be useful in evaluating the quality of the services they render to the public. The paper proposes a fuzzy VIKOR framework for evaluating and ranking internet health information providers under a fuzzy environment where uncertainties and subjectivities are catered for with linguistic variables. Linguistic variables with triangular fuzzy numbers (TFN) are used to evaluate weights of the evaluation criteria and the rankings of each internet health information provider. A numerical example is demonstrated using HIV/AIDS online information providers in the most adult prevalent country in the world. The proposed method is compared with TOPSIS and can be applied in evaluating the quality of other specific internet health information providers.(original abstract)
- AlGhamdi K. M., and Moussa N. A.. "Internet use by the public to search for health-related information." International journal of medical informatics, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 363-373, June 2012. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2011.12.004
- Ambre J. et al. criteria for assessing the quality of health information on the Internet. Working draft white paper, Oct. 1997.
- American Public Health Association. "Criteria for assessing the quality of health information on the Internet." American Journal of Public Health, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 513, Mar. 2001.
- Asmundson G. J. G., Taylor S., and Cox B. J.. Health anxiety: Clinical and research perspectives on hypochondriasis and related conditions. Chichester, 2001.
- Baumgartner S.E. and Hartmann T.. "The role of health anxiety in online health information search." Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 613-618, Oct. 2011. DOI: 10.1089/cyber.2010.0425
- Bellman R. E.and Zadeh L.A. "Decision-making in a fuzzy environment." Management science, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. B-141, Dec. 1970. http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.17.4.B141.
- Büyüközkan G., and Çifçi G.. "A novel hybrid MCDM approach based on fuzzy DEMATEL, fuzzy ANP and fuzzy TOPSIS to evaluate green suppliers." Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 3000-3011, Feb. 2012. DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2011.08.162.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Health Information Technology Use among US Adults", retrieved from: http://www.cdc.gov/features/dshealthinfo/index.html, Oct. 2010.
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). "Country Comparison of HIV/AIDS - adult prevalence rates" CIA Library, 2013.
- Chang S. J., and Im I. E. O. "A path analysis of Internet health information seeking behaviors among older adults." Geriatric Nursing, Nov.2013. DOI: 10.1016/j.gerinurse.2013.11.005
- Chang T. H., and Wang T. C. "Using the fuzzy multi-criteria decision making approach for measuring the possibility of successful knowledge management." Information Sciences, vol. 179, no. 4, pp. 355-370, Feb. 2009. DOI: 10.1016/j.ins.2008.10.012.
- Chang T.H. "Fuzzy VIKOR method: A case study of the hospital service evaluation in Taiwan." Information Sciences, 2014. DOI: 10.1016/j.ins.2014.02.118.
- Chen J. K., and Chen I. "Using a novel conjunctive MCDM approach based on DEMATEL, fuzzy ANP, and TOPSIS as an innovation support system for Taiwanese higher education." Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 1981-1990, Mar. 2010. DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2009.06.079.
- Chen L. Y., and Wang T. C.. "Optimizing partners' choice in IS/IT outsourcing projects: The strategic decision of fuzzy VIKOR." International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 233-242, Jul. 2009. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpe.2008.07.022.
- Chou C. "The canonical representation of multiplication operation on triangular fuzzy numbers", Computers & Mathematics with Applications, vol. 45, no.10, pp. 1601-1610, May. 2003. DOI: 10.1016/S0898-1221(03)00139-1.
- Cohen R.A. and Stussman B.. "Health information technology use among men and women aged 18-64: early release of estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, January-June 2009." National Center for Health Statistics, 2010.
- Deng H., Chung-Hsing Y., Willis R. J. "Inter-company comparison using modified TOPSIS with objective weights." Computers & Operations Research 27.10 (2000): 963-973.
- Denning D. E. R. Information warfare and security. Vol. 4. Reading MA: Addison-Wesley, 1999.
- Devi K. "Extension of VIKOR method in intuitionistic fuzzy environment for robot selection." Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 14163-14168, Oct. 2011. DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2011.04.227.
- Eachus, P. "Health information on the Internet: is quality a problem?." International journal of health promotion and education, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 30-33, 1999. DOI:10.1080/14635240.1999.10806089.
- Eastin M. S.. "Credibility assessments of online health information: The effects of source expertise and knowledge of content. "Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 0-0, Jun, 2001. DOI: 10.1111/j.1083-6101.2001.tb00126.x
- Erol I., Sencer S., Özmen A., and Searcy C.. "Fuzzy MCDM framework for locating a nuclear power plant in Turkey." Energy Policy, vol. 67, pp. 186-197, Apr. 2013. DOI: 10.1016/j.enpol.2013.11.056.
- Eysenbach G., Powell J., Kuss O., and Sa E. R.. "Empirical studies assessing the quality of health information for consumers on the World Wide Web: a systematic review." Jama, vol. 287, no. 20, pp. 2691-2700, May, 2002. DOI:10.1001/jama.287.20.2691.
- Fox S., and Duggan M. "Health online 2013."Health, Jan. 2013
- Haleh, H., and Hamidi A.. "A fuzzy MCDM model for allocating orders to suppliers in a supply chain under uncertainty over a multi-period time horizon." Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 9076-9083, Aug. 2011. DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2010.11.064.
- Healthcare Research and Quality (HRQ)."Assessing the Quality of Internet Health Information". U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. 1999.
- Hwang C. L., Yoon K. "Multiple Attribute Decision Making: Methods and Applications, A State of the Art Survey. 1981." Sprinnger -Verlag, New York, NY.
- Jadad A. R., and Gagliardi A.. "Rating health information on the Internet: navigating to knowledge or to Babel?." Jama, vol. 279, no. 8, pp. 611-614, Feb. 1998. DOI:10.1001/jama.279.8.611
- Jahan A., Mustapha F., Ismail M. Y., Sapuan S. M., and Bahraminasab M. "A comprehensive VIKOR method for material selection." Materials & Design, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 1215-1221, Mar. 2011. DOI: 10.1016/j.matdes.2010.10.015.
- Kahraman C. Fuzzy multi-criteria decision making: theory and applications with recent developments. Vol. 16. Springer, 2008.
- Kaya T., and Kahraman C. "Multicriteria renewable energy planning using an integrated fuzzy VIKOR & AHP methodology: The case of Istanbul." Energy, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 2517-2527, Jun. 2010. DOI: 10.1016/j.energy.2010.02.051.
- Kim P., Eng T. R., Deering M. J., and Maxfield A.. "Published criteria for evaluating health related web sites: review." BMJ: British Medical Journal, vol. 318, no. 7184, pp. 647, Mar. 1999. DOI:/10.1136/bmj.318.7184.647
- Klir, George J., and Bo Yuan. Fuzzy sets and fuzzy logic. Vol. 4. New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1995.
- Kuo M. S., and Liang G. S. "Combining VIKOR with GRA techniques to evaluate service quality of airports under fuzzy environment." Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 1304-1312, Mar. 2011. DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2010.07.003.
- Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine. Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability (CIA). University of Miami. Retrieved from : http://it.med.miami.edu/x904.xml
- Leung A., Ko P. , Chan K. S., Chi I., and Chow N. "Searching health information via the web: Hong Kong Chinese older adults' experience." Public Health Nursing, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 169-175, Feb. 2007. DOI: 10.1111/j.1525-1446.2007.00621.x
- Lu J., Zhang G., and Ruan D. Multi-objective group decision making: methods, software and applications with fuzzy set techniques. Imperial College Press, 2007.
- Moreno J. M., Cadenas J. M., Alonso S., and Herrera-Viedma E. "An Evaluation Methodology of Quality for Health Web Sites based on Fuzzy Linguistic Modelling." In Proceedings of IPMU, vol. 8, p. 1091.
- Opricovic S. "Fuzzy VIKOR with an application to water resources planning." Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 12983-12990, Sept. 2011. DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2011.04.097.
- Opricovic S. "Multicriteria optimization of civil engineering systems." Faculty of Civil Engineering, Belgrade, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 5-21, 1998.
- Opricovic S., and Tzeng G.H. "Compromise solution by MCDM methods: A comparative analysis of VIKOR and TOPSIS." European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 445-455, Jul. 2004. DOI: 10.1016/S0377-2217(03)00020-1.
- Opricovic S., Tzeng G. H. "Defuzzification within a multicriteria decision model", International Journal of Uncertainty, Fuzziness and Knowledge-Based Systems, vol. 11, no.5, Oct. 2003.
- Ou Yang Y. P., Shieh H. M., and Tzeng G. H.. "A VIKOR technique based on DEMATEL and ANP for information security risk control assessment." Information Sciences, vol. 232, pp. 482-500, May. 2013. DOI: 10.1016/j.ins.2011.09.012.
- Rozmovits L., and Ziebland S. "What do patients with prostate or breast cancer want from an Internet site? A qualitative study of information needs." Patient education and counselling, vol. 53, no. 1 pp. 57-64, April 2004. DOI: 10.1016/S0738-3991(03)00116-2
- Salkovskis P. M., Rimes K. A., Warwick H. M. C., and Clark D. M.. "The Health Anxiety Inventory: development and validation of scales for the measurement of health anxiety and hypochondriasis." Psychological medicine, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 843-853, July, 2002. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0033291702005822
- San Cristóbal J. R.. "Multi-criteria decision-making in the selection of a renewable energy project in Spain: the Vikor method." Renewable energy vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 498-502, Feb. 2011. DOI: 10.1016/j.renene.2010.07.031.
- Sanayei A. S., Mousavi F., and Yazdankhah A. "Group decision making process for supplier selection with VIKOR under fuzzy environment." Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 24-30, Jan. 2010. DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2009.04.063.
- Shemshadi A., Shirazi H., Toreihi M., and Tarokh M. J. "A fuzzy VIKOR method for supplier selection based on entropy measure for objective weighting." Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 12160-12167, Sept. 2011. DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2011.03.027.
- Shih H. S., Shyur H. J., Lee E. S. "An extension of TOPSIS for group decision making." Mathematical and Computer Modelling 45.7 (2007): 801-813.
- Sillence E., Briggs P., Harris P., and Fishwick L. "Changes in online health usage over the last 5 years." In CHI'06 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 1331-1336. ACM, 2006. DOI:10.1145/1125451.1125698
- Suziedelyte A., "How does searching for health information on the Internet affect individuals' demand for health care services?." Social science & medicine, vol. 75, no. 10, pp. 1828-1835, Nov. 2012. DOI: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.07.022
- Theodosiou L., and Green J.. "Emerging challenges in using health information from the internet. "Advances in Psychiatric treatment, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 387-396, 2003. DOI: 10.1192/apt.9.5.387
- Von Solms R. "Information security management: why standards are important." Information Management & Computer Security, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 50-58, 1999. DOI:10.1108/09685229910255223
- Wang T. C.and Chang T. H. "Fuzzy VIKOR as a resolution for multicriteria group decision-making." In The 11th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, pp. 352-356. 2005.
- Wu M., and Liu Z.. "The supplier selection application based on two methods: VIKOR algorithm with entropy method and Fuzzy TOPSIS with vague sets method." International Journal of Management Science and Engineering Management, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 109-115, May, 2013. DOI:10.1080/17509653.2011.10671152.
- Yücenur G. N., and Demirel N. C. "Group decision making process for insurance company selection problem with extended VIKOR method under fuzzy environment." Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 3702-3707, Feb. 2012. DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2011.09.065.
- Zhao R., Govind R., Algebraic characteristics of extended fuzzy numbers, Information Sciences, 54(1) (1991), 103-130.