Learning History with Timelines: Use Cases, Requirements and Design
This paper is focused on using computer timeline based interfaces in the domain of history learning. The paper explains what kind of problems do historians and learners face when they deal with chronologically ordered historical information. We review existing approaches and software tools that support timelines. Based on the timeline metaphor ontological model, we examine major features of existing software tools and introduce some novel elements that might be considered as requirements for further implementations.(original abstract)
- "Merriam-webster dictionary: History." [Online]. Available: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/history
- Ajanki A., Koskela M., Laaksonen J., and Kaski S., "Adaptive timeline interface to personal history data," in Proceedings of the 15th ACM on International Conference on Multimodal Interaction, ser. ICMI '13. New York, NY, USA: ACM, 2013, pp. 229-236. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2522848.2522870
- Batrinca L., Khan M. T., Billman D., Aydemir B., and Convertino G., "A timeline visualization for multi-team collaborative planning," in CHI '13 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, ser. CHI EA '13. New York, NY, USA: ACM, 2013, pp. 157-162. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2468356.2468385
- Beatty K., Teaching and Researching Computer-assisted Language Learning. 2nd edition. Pearson Education, 2010.
- Binh Tran G., Alrifai M., and Quoc Nguyen D., "Predicting relevant news events for timeline summaries," in Proceedings of the 22Nd International Conference on World Wide Web Companion, ser. WWW'13 Companion. Republic and Canton of Geneva, Switzerland: International World Wide Web Conferences Steering Committee, 2013, pp. 91-92. [Online]. Available: http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2487788.2487829
- Biswas A., Sagar B. V., and Srinivasan J., "Managing and correlating historical events using an event timeline datatype," in Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Database Systems for Advanced Applications, ser. DASFAA'08. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2008, pp. 604-612. [Online]. Available: http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1802514.1802580
- Bohøj M., Borchorst N. G., Bouvin N. O., Bødker S., and Zander P.-O., "Timeline collaboration," in Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, ser. CHI '10. New York, NY, USA: ACM, 2010, pp. 523-532. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1753326.1753404
- Church K., "How many multiword expressions do people know?" in Proceedings of the Workshop on Multiword Expressions: From Parsing and Generation to the Real World, ser. MWE '11. Stroudsburg, PA, USA: Association for Computational Linguistics, 2011, pp. 137-144. [Online]. Available: http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2021121.2021152
- Jouault C. and Seta K., "Building a semantic open learning space with adaptive question generation support," in Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Computers in Education, ser. ICCE'13. Asia-Pacific Society for Computers in Education, 2011, pp. 41-50. [Online]. Available: http://icce2013bali.org/datacenter/mainconferenceproceedingsforindividualdownload/c1/C1-f-206.pdf
- Oleshchuk V. and Klyuev V., "Context-aware summary generation for web pages," in Intelligent Data Acquisition and Advanced Computing Systems: Technology and Applications, 2009. IDAACS 2009. IEEE International Workshop on, Sept 2009, pp. 561-564.
- Pyshkin E., "In the right order of brush strokes: a sketch of a software philosophy retrospective," SpringerPlus, no. 186, p. 3:186, 2014.
- Radinsky K., Agichtein E., Gabrilovich E., and Markovitch S., "A word at a time: Computing word relatedness using temporal semantic analysis," in Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on World Wide Web, ser. WWW '11. New York, NY, USA: ACM, 2011, pp. 337-346. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1963405.1963455
- Satake S., Ishikawa S., Vazhenin D., and Klyuev V., "A semantic-based summarizing tool for improving the usability of general purpose search engines," in Pervasive Computing (JCPC), 2009 Joint Conferences on, Dec 2009, pp. 235-238.
- Thiry E., Lindley S., Banks R., and Regan T., "Authoring personal histories: Exploring the timeline as a framework for meaning making," in Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, ser. CHI '13. New York, NY, USA: ACM, 2013, pp. 1619-1628. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2470654.2466215
- Walter R. L., Berezin S., and Teredesai A., "Chronozoom: Travel through time for education, exploration, and information technology research," in Proceedings of the 2Nd Annual Conference on Research in Information Technology, ser. RIIT '13. New York, NY, USA: ACM, 2013, pp. 31-36. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2512209.2512217
- Xu S., Kong L., and Zhang Y., "A cross-media evolutionary timeline generation framework based on iterative recommendation," in Proceedings of the 3rd ACM Conference on International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval, ser. ICMR '13. New York, NY, USA: ACM, 2013, pp. 73-80. [Online]. Available: http: //doi.acm.org/10.1145/2461466.2461480