Effect of Company Size on Manager's Perception
The purpose of this study is to explore the effect of a company's size on its manager's perception towards changes in market needs and manufacturing flexibility. To serve the purpose, a questionnaire was designed by considering different types of manufacturing flexibility and changes occurring in market needs. The collected data were then analyzed to verify the proposed hypotheses. The results showed that a company's size significantly influence manager's perception towards manufacturing flexibility and market requirements. For instance, reliability is given higher priority by managers of micro and small enterprises in comparison with managers of medium and large enterprises. Similarly, routine flexibility is found to be significantly more important to managers of micro and small enterprises, while production facility flexibility is considered more important by managers of medium and large enterprises. Furthermore, the results showed that there is a positive relationship between changes in market requirements and manufacturing flexibility, showing that manufacturing flexibility is governed by changes in market requirements. This research was conducted with managers at various companies in the energy sector; so the results may not be applicable to other industries. (original abstract)
-  Swamindass P.M., Newell W.T., Manufacturing strategy, environmental uncertainty and performance: a path analytic model, Management Science, 33, 4, 50-24, 1987.
-  Pagell M., Krause D.R., A multiple-method study of environmental uncertainty and manufacturing flexibility, Journal of Operations Management, 17, 3, 30-25, 1999.
-  Zhang Q., Vonderembse M.A., Lim J.S., Manufacturing flexibility: defining and analyzing relationships among competence, capability, and customer satisfaction, Journal of Operations Management, 21, 2, 17-91, 2003.
-  Da Silveira G.J.C., Effects of simplicity and discipline on operational flexibility: an empirical reexamination of the rigid flexibility model, Journal of Operations Management, 24, 6, 93-47, 2006,
-  Camisón C.,d López V.A., An examination of the relationship between manufacturing flexibility and firm performance: The mediating role of innovation, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 30, 8, 853-878, 2010.
-  Swamidass P., Kotha S., Explaining manufacturing technology use, firm size and performance using a multidimensional view of technology, Journal of Operations Management, 17, 1, 23-37, 1998.
-  Stanwick A.P., Stanwick S.D., The Relationship Between Corporate Social Performance, and Organizational Size, Financial Performance, and Environmental Performance: An Empirical Examination, Journal of Business Ethics, 17, 2, 195-204, 1998.
-  Orlitzky M., Does Firm Size Comfound the Relationship Between Corporate Social Performance and Firm Financial Performance?, Journal of Business Ethics, 33, 2, 167-180, 2001.
-  Santarelli E., Sterlacchini A., Innovation, formal vs. informal R&D, and firm size: Some evidence from Italian manufacturing firms, Small Business Economics, 2, 3,223-228, 1990.
-  Kleinknecht A., Firm size and innovation, Small Business Economics, 1, 3,215-222, 1989.
-  Vaona A., Pianta M., Firm Size and Innovation in European Manufacturing, Small Business Economics, 30, 3, 283-229, 2008.
-  Shefer D., Frenkel A., R&D, Firm Size and Innovation: An Empirical Analysis, Technovation, 25, 1, 25-32, 2005.
-  Jaffari I.A.S., Salman S., Abideen U.Z., Few Determinants of Product and Firm Performance: A Case of FMCG Industry, European Journal of Social Sciences, 19, 4, 561-572, 2011.
-  Cousens A., Szwejczewski M., Sweeney M., A Process for Managing Manufacturing Flexibility, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 29, 4, 357-385, 2009.
-  Beach R., Muhlemann A.P., Price D.H.R., Paterson A., Sharp J.A., A review of manufacturing flexibility, European Journal of Operation Research, 122, 1, 41-57, 2000.
-  Collins R.S., Schemenner R., Achieving Rigid Flexibility: Factory Focus for the 1990s, European Management Journal, 11, 4, 443-447, 1993.
-  Shewchuk P.J., Moodie L.C., Definition and Classification of Manufacturing Flexibility Types and Measures, The International Journal of Flexible Manufacturing Systems, 10, 4, 325-349, 1998.
-  Narain R., Yadav R.C., Sarkis J., Cordeiro J.J., The Strategic Implications of Flexibility in Manufacturing Systems, International Journal of Agile Management Systems, 2, 3, 202-213, 2000.
-  Anand G., Ward T.P., Fit, Flexibility and Performance in Manufacturing: Coping with Dynamic Environments, Production and Operations Management, 13, 4, 369-385, 2004.
-  Wu Q., Shamsuddin A., Tasmin R., Takala J., Liu Y., Transformational Leadership in Operational Competitiveness Improvement: A case study in Malasysian Automotive Industry, Management and Production Engineering Review, 3, 1, 62-70, 2012.
-  Awwad S.A., The role of Flexibility in Linking Operations Strategy to Marketing Strategy, Production and Operations Management Society (POMS) 18th Annual Conference, Dallas, Texas, U.S.A., May 4 to May 7, 2007.
-  Bigelow M., How to Achieve Operational Excellence, Quality Progress, 35, 10, 70-75, 2002.
-  Johnson T.J., How to Make 'Operational Excellence' a Reality, Network World, 19, 45, 42, 2002.
-  Oke A., A Framework for Analysing Manufacturing Flexibility, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 25, 10, 973-996, 2005.
-  Goldhar J.D., Jelinek M., Plan for Economies of Scope, Harvard Business Review, 61, 141- 148, 1983.
-  Brill P.H., Mandelbaum M., On Measures of Flexibility in Manufacturing Systems, International Journal of Production Research, 27, 5, 747-756, 1989.
-  Chryssolouris G., Lee M., An Assessment of Flexibility in Manufacturing Systems, Manufacturing Review, 5, 2, 105-116, 1992.
-  Kumar V., Kumar U., Manufacturing Flexibility: A New Approach to Its Measurement, IIE International Industrial Engineering Conference Proceedings, pp. 469-475, 1987.
-  Taymaz E., Types of Flexibility in Single-Machine Production System, International Journal of Production Research, 27, 11, 1891-1899, 1989.
-  Gustavsson S., Flexibility and Productivity in Complex Production Processes, International Journal of Production Research, 22, 5, 801-808, 1984.
-  Gerwin D., An Agenda for Research on the Flexibility of Manufacturing Processes, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 7, 1, 38-49, 1987.
-  Slack N., The Flexibility of Manufacturing Systems, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 7, 4, 35-45, 1987.
-  Barad M., Sipper D., Flexibility in Manufacturing Systems: Definitions and Petri Net Modeling, International Journal of Production Research, 26, 2, 237-248, 1988.
-  Gupta D., Buzacott J.A., A Framework for Understanding Flexibility of Manufacturing Systems, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 8, 2, 89-97, 1989.
-  Parker P.R., Wirth A., Manufacturing Flexibility: Measures and Relationships, European Journal of Operational Research, 118, 3, 429-449, 1999.
-  Gebauer J., Lee F., Enterprise System Flexibility and Implementation Strategies: Aligning Theory with Evidence from a Case Study, Information Systems Management, 25, 1, 71-82, 2008.
-  Upton D.M., Flexibility as process mobility: the management of plant capabilities for quick response manufacturing, Journal of Operations Management, 12, 3/4, 20- 24, 1995.