Education in Conflict Resolution as an Element of Organizational Management
This paper examines some problems of educating people in alternative dispute resolution. The social, economic and political changes give rise to a greater level of conflict and inequality within any society that is undergoing transformation. We suggest that education in conflict management and resolution, and particularly with the respect to consensus-building techniques and collaborative interest-based approaches to conflict, can play an important role. Individuals who are used to alternative dispute resolution (ADR) better perceive their values and achieve their needs and are more active in decision making process. The better one can use consultation, negotiation and mediation the more society acquires the features of self-regulation and self-governance and the more efficient is counterweighing of social relations sharpened by modernization. Teaching and training the society in peaceful practice brings to people certitude that the best way of interacting with adversaries is to communicate and cooperate with them in solving problem which contradistinguished individuals or organisations. Modern conflict resolution development in Lithuania takes place in a wide legal, administrative, cultural and social environment. Actual conflict resolution curricula may be found in some university programs and postgraduate studies. The next stage will ensure the development of classes and programs in the fields of law, social psychology, political science, public administration, and sociology. Some corrections with elements of dispute resolution and peace education may be incorporated into the curricula of primary and secondary schools. Also certificate programs have to be designed for professionals solving commercial, social problems, dealing with extreme situations, and others, to meet their specific needs in conflict resolution skills. Long-term purposeful efforts while forming positive thinking, approach towards constructive activities and assertive behavior, that is the whole mental and cultural heritage, should be followed constantly in order to make negotiations, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution methods a part of public life and problem solution. (original abstract)
- Bianchi G., 1997. Training in Skills for Coping with Democracy. The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 552.
- Deutsch M., Coleman P.T. (eds.), 2000. The Handbook of Conflict Resolution. Theory and Practice. Jossey- Bass Inc.Publishers, San Francisco, p. 15.
- Durrschmidt J., Taylor G., 2007. Globalization, Modernity&Social Change. Palgrave Macmillan, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21XS, England, p. 50.
- Fisher R.J., 1990. Needs Theory, Social Identity and an Eclectic Model of Conflict. (in:) J. Burton (ed.), 1990. Conflict: Human Needs Theory. St.Martin's Press, New York, p. 109.
- Ghaye T., 2011. Teaching and learning through reflective practice. Routledge, p. 2.
- Grigas R., 1998. Socialiniu itampu laukai Lietuvoje. VPU ir Lietuvos filosofijos ir sociologijos institutas, Vilnius.
- Gur Ze'ev I. Philosophy of Peace Education in a Postmodern Era. Educational Theory 51(3).
- Herrman M.S., 1989-1990. ADR in context: linking our past, present and a possible future, Journal of Contemporary Legal Issues 3, p. 35.
- Kozan M.K., 1997. Culture and conflict management: a theoretical framework. International Journal of Conflict Management 8 (4).
- Lakis J., 2009. Social conflicts and the culture of cooperation in transitional society. Baltic Journal of Management 4 (2).
- Lan Z., 1997. A Conflict Resolution Approach to Public Administration. Public Administration Review 57 (1), p. 8.
- Levin K., 2000. Разрешение социальных конфликтов. Речь, Санкт-Петербург.
- Ohanyan A., 1999. Negotiation culture in a post-Soviet context: an interdisciplinary perspective. Mediation Quarterly 17 (1).
- Picard Ch., 2002. Mediating Interpersonal and Small Group Conflict. The Golden Dog Press, Ottawa, p. 12.
- Ross M.H., 1993. The Culture of Conflic. Yale University Press, New Haven and London, p. 2.
- Salomon G., 2003. The Essential Nature of Peace Education and Some of the Dillemas That Accompany It. (in:) Social and Psychological Factors in Conflict and Its Resolution. European Comission Research, p. 97.
- Scimecca J.A., 1993. Theory and alternative dispute resolution: A contradiction in terms? (in:) D. Sandole, H.van der Merwe. Conflict Resolution Theory and Practice. Manchester University Press, p. 212.
- Shapiro I., 1997. Beyond modernization: Conflict resolution in Central and Eastern Europe. The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 552, p. 25.
- Targamadze V., 2006. Konfliktu konturu brezimas: ugdymo realybes kontekstas.Vilnius, VPU.