Crop Acreage and Crop Production Estimates for Small Domains - Revisited
For any country advance and final estimates of yield of principle crops, at National and State levels, are of great importance for its macro level planning. But, for decentralized planning and for other purposes like crop insurance, loan to farmers, etc., the reliable estimates of crop production for small domains are also in great demand. This paper, therefore, discusses and review critically the methodology used to provide crop acreage and crop production estimates for small domains, based on indirect methods of estimation, including the SICURE model approach. The indirect methods of estimation so developed use data obtained either through traditional surveys, like General Crop Estimation Surveys (GCES) data, or a combination of the surveys and satellite data. (original abstract)
- BATTESE, G.E., HARTER, R.M. and FULLER, W.A. (1988): An error-components model for prediction of crop areas using survey and satellite data. J. Amer. Statist. Assoc., 83, 28-36.
- BELLOW, M., GRAHAM, M. and IWIG, W. C. (1996): Country estimation of crop acreage using satellite data. Indirect Estimation in U.S. Fedral Programs, Springer, 104-123.
- CSO (1990): Working group on small area development programme statistics. Report, Department of Statistics, Ministry of Planning, Government of India, New Delhi.
- DADHWAL, V.K. and PARIHAR, J.S. (1985): Estimation of 1983-84 wheat acreage of Karnal district (Haryana) using landsat MS S digital data. Technical note, IRS-UP/SAC/CPF/TN/09, Space Application Centre, Ahmedabad.
- FRANCISCO, J.G. (1998): Comments on the invited paper entitled "Small area estimation in India - Crop yield and acreage statistics" by Tikkiwal, B.D. and Tikkiwal, G.C. Proceedings of the International Conference "Agricultural Statistics - 2000", 238 - 254.
- FULLER, W.A. (1981): Regression estimation for small areas. Rural America in Passage: Statistics for Policy, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 572-586.
- GHOSH, M. and RAO, J.N.K. (1994): Small area estimation: An appraisal. Statist. Sci., 9, 55-93.
- MAHALANOBIS, P.C. (1946): Sample surveys of crop yields in India. Sankhya, 269-280.
- RAO, J.N.K. (2004): Small area estimation with applications to agriculture. J. Ind. Soc. Agril. Statist., 57, 159-170.
- SCHAIBLE, W.L. and CASADY, R.J. (1994): The development, application, and evaluation of small area estimators. Statistics in Transition, 1 (6), 727-746.
- SHARMA, S.D., SRIVASTAVA, A.K. and SUD, U.C. (2004): Small area crop estimation methodology for crop yield estimates at Gram Panchayat level. J. Ind. Soc. Agril. Statist., 57, 26-37.
- SINGH, D. (1968): Double sampling and its application in agriculture. J. Ind. Soc. Agril. Statist. (Panse Memorial volume).
- SINGH, R. (2003): Use of satellite data and farmers eye estimate for crop yield modeling. J. Ind. Soc. Agril. Statist., 56 (2), 166-176.
- SINGH, R. (2004): Application of remote sensing technology for crop yield estimation. J. Ind. Soc. Agril. Statist, 57, 226-246.
- SINGH, R. and GOEL, R.C. (2000): Use of remote sensing satellite data in crop surveys. Technical Report, Indian Agricultural Statistics Research Institute, New Delhi.
- SINGH, R., GOEL, R.C., PANDEY, L.M. and SAHA, S.K. (1999): Use of remote sensing technology in crop yield estimation surveys- II, Project Report, IASRI, New Delhi.
- SINGH, R., GOYAL, R.C., SAHA, S.K. and CHHIKARA, R.S. (1992): Use of satellite spectral data in crop yield estimation surveys. Int. J. Rem. Sens., 13 (14), 2583- 2592.
- SISODIA, B.V.S. and SINGH, A. (2001): On small area estimation - An empirical Study. J. Ind. Soc. Agril. Statist., 54 (3), 303-316.
- SRIVASTAVA, A.K. (2007): Small area estimation - A perspective and some applications. J. Ind. Soc. Agril. Statist., 61 (3), 295-309.
- STASNY, E.A., GOEL, P.K. and RAMSEY, D.J. (1991): County estimates of wheat production. Survey Methodology, 17, 211-255.
- SUKHATME, P.V. and AGARWAL, O P. (1946-47, 1947-48): Crop-cutting survey on wheat by the random sampling method. Report, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi.
- TIKKIWAL, B.D. (1991): Modeling through survey data for small domains. Keynote Address at the Symposium on Modeling held at Kurukshetra University, March 7 - 9, 1991.
- TIKKIWAL, B.D. (1993): Modeling through survey data for small domains. Proc. Scientific Conference on Small Area Statistics and Survey Design held in September 1992 at Warsaw, Poland.
- TIKKIWAL, BD. and TIKKIWAL, G.C. (1998): Small area estimation in India -Crop yield and acreage statistics. Invited paper in the Proceedings of the International Conference "Agricultural Statistics - 2000" (along with the comments of Dr. J.G. Francisco, the discussant of the paper), 238 - 254. The Conference was held in March 1998 at Washington, D.C., USA.
- TIKKIWAL, G.C. and GHIYA, A. (2000): A generalized class of synthetic estimators with application to crop acreage estimation for small domains. Biometrical Journal, 42 (7), 865-876.
- TIKKIWAL, G.C. and GHIYA, A. (2004): A generalized class of composite estimators with application to crop acreage estimation for small domains. Statistics in Transition, 1(6), 697-711.