Conflicts as Constraints to Effective Management of Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria : the Way Forward
This study examines the concepts of conflict and constraints and their antecedents in tertiary institutions in Nigeria. It makes a clarification of causes, and types and conflict management in higher institutions of learning. The paper observes that management staff, students, teachers, government. Trade Unions may be sources of conflict for one reason or the other. Nevertheless, the outcomes of such conflicts causes prolong of academic activities, destruction of life and properties and in some cases render school environment completely insecure for serious academic activities not beneficial to students, institutions and the society at large. It recommends that the way forward should be proper handling of higher institutions by management and government to be more democratic in handling conflicts by creating avenues for discussing and designing. The paper concludes that conflict is an attendant feature of human interaction in every organization which cannot be eliminated, therefore, maintaining a cordial relationship between staff, students by school authority, is necessary, also involving students and trade unions in decision making process appeared to be the most effective way forward for effective management of tertiary institutions. (original abstract)
-  Adejuwon K. D., Okewale R. A. (2009). Ethnic militancy, insurrections and democracy in Africa; The case of Nigeria, journal of social and policy issues; Vol. 6, No 4.
-  Adeyemi T. O., Ekundayo H. T., Ahonge H. O. (2010). Managing students crises in tertiary institutions in Nigeria. Journal of Research in National Development Vol. 1 June.
-  Agbona S. A., Yusuf A., Onifade A. B. (2009). Communication and conflict manager's personality in school security and conflict management. Being a text of paper presented at the 25th Annual National Conference of social students Association of Nigeria. Held at Michael Otedola college of primary education Noforija, Epe, Lagos State, from 17th to 20th Nov., 2009.
-  Aguba C. R. (2009). Educational administration and management: issues and perspectives. Enugu: Tons and Tons PDS.
-  Aja O. J. (2012). Conflicts as a barrier in tertiary institutions for national transformation. A paper presented at the 31st Annual national conference of Nigerian association for education administration and planning (NAEAP) October, in Benue Hotels Makurdi.
-  Alabi A. O. (2010). Management of conflicts and crises in Nigeria: educational planner's view. Research journal of social sciences vol. 2 No 6.
-  Albert I. O. (2011). Building peace, advancing democracy, experience with the third party interventions in Nigeria's conflicts. Ibadan: John Archers publications Ltd.
-  Ayodele J. B., Adewumi J. O. (2007). The incidence and management of conflicts in secular and non-secular tertiary institutions in south west Nigeria. Educational research and review, Vol. 2 (5).
-  Dunnette M. (1976). Hand book of industrial and organizational psychology. Chicago; Randy McWally.
-  Gillin C. T. (2004). Conflict resolution, negotiation and team building. Arts and contemporary studies Ryerson University.
-  Hanson M. (1991). Education administration and organization behaviour. Massachusetts: Ally and Bacon.
-  Iyayi F., Oshio E., Okojie J. (2011). Critical issues in University governance in Nigeria. Lagos: Malthouse press limited.
-  Kestener B. P., Ray L. (2002). The conflict resolution training programe leader's manual. Jossey-Bass, U.S.A.
-  Magagula C. M. (2007). Conflict resolution and management: the role of Africa higher education institutions. Paper presented at a seminar celebrating the African University day at University of Swaziland, Kwaluseni. 15th November.
-  Ndu A., Ocho L. O., Okeke B. S. (1977). Dynamics of educational administration and management: the Nigeria perspective. Akwa: Mekks publishers Ltd.
-  Ola R. F., Oyibo E. E. (2000). Administrative theories and their applications, Ibadan: Amifitop Books.
-  Oloyede I. O. (1999). Cultural pluralism as a challenge to effectiveness of University education in fostering the culture of dialogue and understanding. paper delivered at the 2009 IAU conference on the role of higher education in fostering the culture of dialogue and understanding in Nigeria. Lebanon: Notre Dame University.
-  Posigha B. E., Ogbuvwa V. (2009). Conflict among library staff in Bayelsa and Delta States of Nigeria. International journal of labour and organizational psychology. Vol. 3, No 1 & 2.