The Impact of Clustering on the Innovativeness of Furniture Industry
The furniture industry in Poland is a rapidly growing area of the economy. The level of innovation strongly influences furniture enterprises competitive position on the market. To support innovation, small and medium furniture industry businesses are affiliate in cluster initiatives. It supports the area of R&D, joint promotional campaigns and financing of new ventures. The paper presents selected furniture industry cluster initiatives that implement policies to support innovation activities of enterprises affiliated to them. In Poland, more and more furniture industry businesses brings together in cluster initiatives that aim to improve their market competitiveness and increase the level of innovation. Taken studies allow to analyse the direction of innovative activities undertaken by companies of the furniture industry with particular emphasis on the ones associated in clusters. Thus the aim of the article is to investigate the interest of Polish furniture enterprises (especially SMEs), in participation in clusters. Moreover the benefits of that choice and its impact on Polish furniture manufacturers innovativeness are evaluated. (original abstract)
-  Structural changes of groups of entities of the national economy in REGON register 2012, Central Statistical Office, p. 48, 2013.
-  Statistical Yearbook of Industry, Central Statistical Office, p. 615, 2013.
-  Polish Furniture Outlook, Polish Chamber of Commerce of Furniture Manufactures, p. 3, 2014.
-  Grzegorzewska E., Strong furniture industry compared to other industries, Furniture industry - components and technologies, 1, 15, 2014.
-  Grzegorzewska E., The influence of global economic crisis on import and export of furniture in Poland, Annals of Warsaw University of Life Sciences - SGGW, p. 308-312, 2013.
-  Poland 2013, Report on the state of foreign trade, Ministry of Economy, p. 46, 2013.
-  Yearbook of Foreign Trade Statistics 2013, www.stat.gov.pl, pp. 680- 681, 2013.
-  Bell G.G., Clusters, networks, and firm innovativeness, Research notes and commentaries, Strat. Mgmt. J., 26, 287-295, 2005.
-  Story V., Hart S., O'Malley L., Relational resources and competences for radical product innovation, Journal of Marketing Management, 25, 5-6, 461-481, 2009.
-  Boldrini J.-C., Schieb-Bienfait N., Chéné E., Improving SMEs' guidance within public innovation supports, European Planning Studies, 19, 5, 775- 793, May 2011.
-  Eraydin A., Armatli-Koroglu B., Innovation, networking and the new industrial clusters the characteristics of networks and local innovation capabilities in the Turkish industrial clusters, Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 17, 237-266, July 2005.
-  Yunfei S., Shaogang C., Bin C., Analyses of the Dynamic Factors of Cluster Innovation - A Case Study of Chengdu Furniture Industrial Cluster, International Management Review, 4, 1, 53-61, 2008.
-  Porter M.E., The Competitive Advantage of Nations, Free Press: New York, 1990.
-  Synnøve R., Collaborative Regional Innovation Initiatives: A Booster for Local Company Innovation Processes?, Syst. Pract. Action Res., 26, 3-21, 2013.
-  Hervas-Oliver J.-L., Albors-Garrigos J., de-Miguel B., Hidalgo A., The role of a firm's absorptive capacity and the technology transfer process in clusters: How effective are technology centers in lowtech clusters?, Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 24, 7-8, 523-559, September 2012.
-  Innovation activities of enterprises in the years 2004-2006, Central Statistical Office of Poland, http://stat.gov.pl/en/ (05.03.2014).
-  Innovation activities of enterprises in the years 2006-2009, Central Statistical Office of Poland, http://stat.gov.pl/en/ (05.03.2014).
-  Innovation activities of enterprises in the years 2008-2010, Central Statistical Office of Poland, http://stat.gov.pl/en/ (05.03.2014).
-  Innovation activities of enterprises in the years 2009-2011, Central Statistical Office of Poland, http://stat.gov.pl/en/ (05.03.2014).
-  Innovation activities of enterprises in the years 2010-2012, Central Statistical Office of Poland, http://stat.gov.pl/en/ (05.03.2014).
-  Rubera G., Kirca A.H., Firm innovativeness and its performance outcomes: a meta-analytic review and theoretical integration, Journal of Marketing, 76, 130-147, May 2012.
-  Navickas V., Malakauskaité A., The impact of clusterization on the development of small and mediumsized enterprise (SME) sector, Journal of Business Economics and Management, 10, 3, 255-259, 2009.
-  Porter M.E., Clusters and the new economics of competition, Harvard Business Review, 76, 6, 77-90, 1998.
-  www.slaskiklasterdrzewny.pl (31.03.2014).
-  www.furniturecluster.pl (3.04.2014).