Factors Influencing Company Relations with Market Stakeholders, in the Face of Crises in Company Development
Crises in company development are a particular subset of management crises. They emerge on various stages of company development, as a result of gradual depletion of effective management solutions. Crisis situations in companies have varied impact on company stakeholders. The paper presents results of empirical studies of factors influencing company relations with market stakeholders and those that facilitate the process of restoring and maintaining any relations that suffered in the course of crises in company development. The authors' intention was to identify such factors and evaluate their importance, in relation to various stages of company development and the associated types of crisis situations faced by companies. Empirical studies suggest that certain factors may facilitate conflict resolution in matters concerning company relations with market stakeholders, and that the impact of these factors varies depending on the phase of organizational development and the type of the associated crisis situation. It must be noted, that one of the most important factors to influence problem resolution is the perceived honesty of the exchange participants. Moreover, research suggests that opinions on the significance of organizational dependence of exchange participants in the resolution of problems in relations with market stakeholders are varied. (original abstract)
-  Van de Ven A., Poole M., Explaining development and change in organizations, Academy of Management Review, 20, 3, 510-540, 1995.
-  Greiner L., Evolution and revolution as organizations grow, Harvard Business Review, 37-45, July - August 1972.
-  Kimberly J., Miles R., The organizational life cycle, Fossey-Bass: San Francisco, 1980.
-  Greiner L., Evolution and revolution as organizations grow, Harvard Business Review, 55-67, May - June 1998.
-  Valackiene A., Theoretical substation of the model for crisis management in organization, Ekonomika-Engineering Economics, 22, 1, 78-90, 2011.
-  Yu T, Sengul M., Lester R., Misery lovers company: the spread off negative impacts resulting from an organizational crisis, Academy of Management, 33, 2, 452-472, 2008.
-  McLane P., Bratic W., Bersin B., Potentially devastating events: how three companies managed and survived a crisis, Corporate Reputation Review, 2, 268-277, 1999.
-  Baron J., Hannan M., Burton M., Labor pains: change in organizational models and employee turnovem in young, high-tech firms, American Journal of Sociology, 106, 960-1012, 2001.
-  Zuckerman E., The categorical imperative: securaities analysts and the illegitimacy discount, American Journal of Sociology, 104, 1398-1438, 1999.
-  Clarkson M., A stakeholder framework for analyzing and evaluating corporate social performance, Academy of Management Review, 20, 92-117, 1995.
-  Polos L., Hannan M., Carroll G., Foundations of a theory of social reforms, Industrial and Corporate Change, 11, 85-115, 2002.
-  Weick K., The collapse of sensemaking in organizations: The Mann Gulch disaster, Administrative Science Quarterly, 38, 628-652, 1993.
-  Hsu G., Hannan M., Identities, genres, and organizational forms, Organization Science, 16, 474-490, 2005.
-  Driver J., Tabares A., Shapiro A., Nahm E., Gottman J., Interactional patterns in marital success or failure: gottman laboratory studies, Normal Family Processes: Growing Diversity and Complexity, F. Walsh [Ed.], Guilfort Press: New York, pp. 493-513, 2003.
-  Dirks K., Lewicki R., Zaheer A., Repairing relationships within and between organizations: building a conceptual foundation, Academy of Management Review, 34, 1, 68-84, 2009.
-  Nakayachi K., Watabe M., Restoring trustworthiness after adverse events: the signaling effects of voluntary "hostage posting" on trust, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 97, 1-17, 2005.
-  Bottom W., Gibson K., Daniels S., Murnighan K., When talk is not cheap: substantive penance and expressions of intent in rebulding cooperation, Organization Science, 13, 5, 497-513, 2002.
-  Wilson D., Jantrania S., Understanding the value of a relationship, Asia - Australia Marketing Journal, 2, 1, 55-66, 1994.
-  Ren H., Gray B., Reparing relationships conflict: how violation types and culture influence the effectiveness of restoration rituals, Academy of Management Review, 34, 1, 105-126, 2009.