The Impact of Enterprises Systems on Sales Performance : a Study of ERP System Implementations in Polish SMEs
While having been the object of numerous studies, the link between ERP implementation and SMEs performance still requires understanding. This paper documents the effect of investments in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems on a firm's sales performance and profitability measure such as return on sales (ROS). The models are based on a sample of 240 during time of defined activities in the sales process realized during the each month by 40 knowledge workers in each of 5 Polish SMEs announcements of ERP implementations. Our analysis of the financial benefits of these implementations yields mixed results. Our results are encouraging that we find the business activity that can persistent evidence of sales performance associated with ERP investments. This should help alleviate the companies that some have expressed about the viability of ERP given the highly publicized implementation problems at some firms. (original abstract)
-  Bonasera J., AMR research predicts enterprise application market will reach $78 billion by 2004, AMR Research, 2000.
-  D'Aquila M., Shepherd J., Friscia T., The global enterprise applications software market forecast update 2009-2010, AMR Research, 2009.
-  Mabert V.A., Soni A. Venkataramanan M.A., Enterprise resource planning survey of US manufacturing firms, Production and Inventory Management Journal, 41 (2), 52-58, 2000.
-  Reilly K., AMR research releases ERP market report showing overall market growth of 14% in 2004, AMR Research, 2005.
-  Cotteleer M., Bendoly E., Order lead-time improvement following enterprise-IT implementation: an empirical study, Management Information Systems Quarterly, 30, 643-660, 2006.
-  Law C.C.H., Chen C.C., Wu B.J.P., Managing the full ERP life-cycle: considerations of maintenance and support requirements and IT governance practice as integral elements of the formula for successful ERP adoption, Computers in Industry, 61, 297-308, 2010.
-  Trkman M., Trkman P., A wiki as intranet: a critical analysis using the Delone and McLean model, Online Information Review, 33, 1087-1102, 2009.
-  Davenport T.H., Putting the enterprise into the enterprise system, Harvard Business Review, 76 (4), 121-131, 1998.
-  Ko D.I., Kirsch L.J., King W.R., Antecedents of knowledge transfer from consultants to clients in enterprise system implementations, MIS Quarterly, 29 (1), 59-85, (2005).
-  Velcu O., Exploring the effects of ERP systems on organizational performance: evidence from Finnish companies, Ind. Manag. Data Syst., 107 (9), 1316-1334, 2007.
-  Colmenares L., Benefits of ERP Systems for Accounting and Financial Management, Allied Academies International Conference: Proceedings of the Academy of Information and Management Sciences (AIMS), 13 (1), 37, 2009.
-  O'Leary D.E., Enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems: an empirical analysis of benefits, J. Emerg. Technol. Account., 1, 63-72, 2004.
-  Federici T., Factors influencing ERP outcomes in SMEs: a post-introduction assessment, Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 22 (1/2), 81-98, 2009.
-  Nicolaou A., Firm performance effects in relation to the implementation and use of enterprise resource planning systems, J. Inf. Syst., 18 (2), 79-105, 2004.
-  Hunton J.E., Lippincott B., Reck J.L., Enterprise resource planning systems: comparing firm performance of adopters and non-adopters, International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, 4, 165-184, 2003.
-  Farlow S.J. (Ed.), Self-organizing Methods in Modelling: GMDH-type Algorithms, New York: Marcel Dekker Inc., 1984.
-  Patalas-Maliszewska J., Knowledge Worker Management: Value Assessment, Methods, and Application Tools, Springer, Heidelberg, 2013.