Surface Quality of a Milled Gamma Titanium Aluminide for Aeronautical Applications
Gamma titanium aluminides are an interesting alternative for nickel, iron or cobalt matrix superalloys. Due to the advantageous strength properties at high temperatures they can successfully replace superalloys in applications such as high pressure compressor blades, low pressure turbine blades, high pressure compressor case, low pressure turbine case. Milling is one of the processes that can be applied in the forming elements made from this type of alloys for the aviation industry. Research included the selection of tool, the process kinematics and the range of milling gamma titanium aluminide (Ti-45Al-5Nb-0.2B-0.2C) process parameters were carried out. Milling can be an effective method of forming of elements made of gamma TiAL in the range of processing parameters: vc = 20-70 m/min, ap = 0.3-0.7 mm, fz = 0.1- 0.45 mm/tooth. In the tests carried out the best results were obtained using a R300-016A20L- 08L milling cutter, S30T tool coating and in-cut milling. (original abstract)
-  Oczos K.E., Kawalec A., Forming of light metals, PWN, Warsaw 2012.
-  Lasalmonie A., Intermetallics: Why is it so difficult to introduce them in gas turbine engines?, Intermetallics, 14, 1123-1129, 2006.
-  Kothari K., Radhakrishman R., Wereley N.M., Advances in gamma titanium aluminides and their manufacturing techniques, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 55, 1-16, 2012.
-  Ezugwu E.O., Wang Z.M., Titanium alloys and their machinability - a review, J. Mater. Proc. Technol., 68, 262-274, 1997.
-  Jawiad A., Che-Haron C.H., Fallah A., Tool wear in machining of titanium alloy Ti 6242, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Progress of Cutting and Grinding, Osaka, Japan, pp. 126-131, November 1996.
-  Oczos K.E., Increasing of efficiency of titanium alloys machining, Mechanic, 76, 543-550, 2003.
-  Nabhani F., Machining of aerospace titanium alloys, Robotics and Comp. Integr. Manuf., 17, 99-106, 2001.
-  Watson D., Bayha T., Hofmann T., Festeau G., Titanium takes off. The art and science of milling titanium to make aerospace parts, Cut. Tool. Eng., 59, 36-44, 2007.
-  Sharman A.R.C., Aspinwall, Dewes R.C., Bowen P., Workpiece surface integrity considerations when finish turning gamma titanium aluminide, Wear, 249, 473-481, 2001.
-  Priarone P.C., Rizutti S., Settineri L., Vergano G., Effects of cutting angle, edge preparation, and nano-structured coating on milling performance of a gamma titanium aluminide, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 212, 2619-2628, 2012.
-  Priarone P.C., Rizzuti S., Rotella G., Settineri L., Tool wear and surface quality in milling of a gamma-TiAl intermetallic, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 61, 25-33, 2012.
-  Beranoagirre A., Olvera D., Lopez de Lacalle L.N., Milling of gamma titanium-aluminium alloys, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 62, 83-88, 2012.