How to Apply Sustainable Competitive Advantage for Regional Developments (Case: Ostrobothnia Region of Finland)
Nowadays companies concern more about how to survive and extend their own business in future in their current marketplace. However, developing and prospering a region of the country is becoming more crucial question. Successful cooperation and partnership between different sectors of economy (for instance, between companies, public and academic sectors) leads to the flourishing and prosperity of the region and consequently of a country. European Commission established smart specialization platform, which is a strategic approach to economic development of a region. By defining and developing of vision, competitive advantages and strategic preferences, region will determine knowledge-based potential. The purpose of this paper is to assign and define the collaboration/relations existed, how strong these relations are and what the expectations are between 3 sectors of economy: public, academic and business. Area of carrying out this research is Ostrobothnia region, however, connections in other regions of Finland and internationally is also presented. There have been chosen 3 industrial peaks from Ostrobothnia region: Energy, Fur and Boat industrial peaks. Analysis is conducted by implementing two core methods: Sense & Respond (S&R) and Sustainable Competitive Advantage (SCA). The goal of this research is also to use S&R method so as to allocate efficiently resources, and to define competitive priorities in cooperation. The main results show that the most tight collaboration and partnership is observed between companies and companies in all around Finland and internationally. While concerning other relationships, companies expect to have tighter cooperation especially in Ostrobothnia and other regions of Finland. (original abstract)
-  Si S., Takala J., Liu Y., Benchmarking and developing the operational competitiveness of Chinese stateowned manufacturing enterprises in a global context, J. Innovation and Learning, 7, 2, 2010.
-  Porter M.E., Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance, The Free Press, New York, NY, 1985.
-  Barney J., Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage, Journal of Management, 17, 99-120, 1991.
-  Barney J.B., Resource-based theories of competitive advantage: A ten-year retrospective on the resource based view, Journal of Management, 6, 643-650, 2001.
-  Ansoff H.I., Corporate strategy: an analytic approach to business policy for growth and expansion, New York: McGraw-Hill Higher Education, 1965.
-  Porter M.E., The Competitive Advantage of Nations, Macmillan, London, 1990.
-  Porter M.E., What Is Strategy?, Harvord Business Review, 61-78, 1996.
-  Xiao Zhong-hai, Ning Bo, Yuan Hong, On Company Core Competence and its Sustainable Competitive Advantage during Industrial Transformation, International Conference on Information Management, Innovation Management and Industrial Engineering, 2008.
-  Wernerfelt B., A resource base view of the firm, Strategic Management Journal, 5, 171-180, 1984.
-  Lubit R., Tacit Knowledge and Knowledge Management: The Keys to Sustainable Competitive Advantage, Organizational Dynamics, 29, 4, 164-178, 2001.
-  Morone J., Strategic Use of Technology, California Management Review, 31, 4, 91-110, 1989.
-  Tuominen T., Rinta-Knuuttila A., Takala J., Kek¨ale T., Technology survey: logistics and automation branch of materials handling industry, The 2nd International Conference on Logistics & Transport, LOADO'2003, pp. 1-9, 2003.
-  Takala J., Resilient and Proactive Utilization of Opportunities and Uncertainties in Service Business, Proceedings of the University of Vaasa, Finland, University of Vaasa, Vaasa, 2012.
-  Bradley S.P., Nolan R.L., Capturing Value in the Network Era, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, 1998.
-  Markides C., All the right moves: a guide to crafting breakthrough strategy, Harvard Business Press, USA, 2000.
-  Ranta J.M., Takala J., A holistic method for finding out critical feature of industry maintenance services, International Journal of Services and Standards, 2007, Vol. 3 No. 3, pp. 312-325.
-  Takala J., Uusitalo T., Resilient and Proactive Utilization of Opportunities and Uncertainties in Service Busines, 2012.
-  Liu Y., Wu Q., Zhao S., Takala J., Operations Strategy Optimization Based on Developed Sense and Respond Methodology, Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Innovation & Management, Finland, University of Vaasa, pp. 1010-1015, 2011.
-  Nadler D., Takala J., The Development of the Critical Factor Index Method, Faculty of Technology, Department of Production, University of Vaasa, 65200 Finland, 2008.