Current Rules of the Deposit Guarantee System in Poland
The article considers the matter of the deposit guarantee system in Poland, which is coordinated by the Bank Guarantee Fund (BFG). Presented in the first part are the organization of the BFG and its tasks, such as guaranteeing, aiding, controlling and analyzing the banking sector. Discussed in the publication are changes in Polish law, especially in the reaction to the global crisis on the financial market in the late 2000s. Finally, the future outlook for EU regulation is presented, along with a number of conclusions on the potential legislative changes in the Act on the BFG. The main goal of the article is to characterize details of the Polish implementation of Directives 94/19/EC and 2009/14/EC, as well as the actual form of the deposit guarantee system, and to answer the question of whether the Act on the BFG corresponds to the EU directives. (original abstract)
- European Parliament and Council Directive 94/19/EC of 30 May 1994 on deposit-guarantee schemes  OJ L135/5.
- European Parliament and Council Directive 2009/14/EC of 11 March 2009 amending Directive 94/19/EC on deposit-guarantee schemes as regards coverage level and payoutdelay  OJ L68/3.
- Journal of Laws 2009 No. 84, item 711 (as amended) (The Act on the BFG).
- Adam Pawlikowski, Polski system gwarantowania depozytów na tle rozwiązań zastosowanych w innych państwach UE (2005) 193 Materiały i Studia 23.
- Own table, according to the Bank Guarantee Fund, Annual Report 2009  <http://www.bfg.pl/doc_media/wezel_799/rr_2009_en.pdf> accessed 30 May 2011.
- Art 6(3) of the Act on the BFG.
- Art 9(5) of the Act on the BFG.
- Art 19(2) of the Act on the BFG.
- Art 39(1) of the Act on the BFG.
- Journal of Laws 2002 No. 72, item 665 (as amended) (The Banking Act).
- Art 2a(2) the Act on the BFG.
- Journal of Laws No. 209 item 1315 (The Amendment of the Act on the BFG of 2008).
- Journal of Laws No. 144 item 1776 (The Amendment of the Act on the BFG of 2009).
- Journal of Laws No. 257 item 1724 (The Amendment of the Act on the BFG of 2010).
- Ecofin Council, Immediate responses to financial turmoil (Conclusions 2008) 13930/08.
- Commission The reviewof Directive 94/19/EC on Deposit Guarantee Schemes (Communication) COM (2006) 729 final, ch I.
- Dave Skelsey, Consumer awareness of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (2009) 75 Financial Services Authority Research Paper 3.
- Commission, Review of Directive 94/19/EC on Deposit Guarantee Schemes (Report) COM (2010) 369 final, 3.
- Elemér Terták and Konrad Szeląg, The Financial Crisis and the Reform of Deposit Guarantee Schemes in the EU (2010) 2 "Bezpieczny Bank/Safe Bank" 106.
- European Commission, Consultation on the review of the Directive on Deposit Guarantee Schemes (May-July 2009) <http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/consultations/docs/2009/deposit_guarantee_schemes/consultation_dgs_2009_en.pdf > accessed 30 March 2011.
- Hellenic Deposit Guarantee Fund, 2009 Report <http://www.hdgf.gr/docs/EV.pdf> accessed 30 March 2011.
- <http://www.fsforum.org/publications/Guidance_deposit01.pdf> accessed 30 March 2011.
- Directive 2006/48/EC relating to the taking up and pursuit of the business of credit institutions  OJ L177/1.
- Directive 2006/49/EC on the capital adequacy of investmentfirms and credit institutions  OJ L177/201.
- European Commission, Investigating the Efficiency of EU Deposit Guarantee Schemes (Report May 2008) <http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/bank/docs/guarantee/deposit/report_en.pdf > accessed 30 March 2011.
- European Commission, Risk-based contributions in EU Deposit Guarantee Schemes: current practices (Report June 2008) <http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/bank/docs/guarantee/risk-based-report_en.pdf> accessed 30 March 2011.
- European Commission, Possible models for risk-basedcontributions to EU Deposit Guarantee Schemes (Report June 2009) <http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/bank/docs/guarantee/2009_06_risk-basedreport_en.pdf> accessed 30 March 2011.