Management of Students Crisis in Higher Institutions of Learning in Nigeria
This study was intended to investigate factors that characterized campus crisis and suggests way forward with the aim of maintaining crisis free institutions. Two null hypotheses were formulated and tested for the study. The results of this study suggest that: two reasons could be responsible for not meeting the demands of the students. First is the high population of students to match the available facilities, students' demands and the attitudes of some authorities who refuse to listen to students' request. Secondly, lack of essential facilities in campuses cause students' crisis in higher institutions of learning in Nigeria. Based on the findings, cultism, communication gap between authorities and students' representatives, hyper-patriotic youthful exuberance in deviating from behavioural norms of the society and students' home background are major causes of students' crisis in higher institutions in Nigeria. (original abstract)
-  Abdullahi A. (1991). Why 6-3-3-4 system is not working. Daily Times 12 March, 1991. P. 12.
-  Akinade E. A. (1993). Guidance and counselling strategies for prevention in controlling.
-  Students Activities in Nigerian Tertiary Institutions in O. Animba, D. Denga and O. Omolabi, (eds.) Appraisal of students' unrest in Nigeria. Enugu: ABIC publishers.
-  Aminu J. M. (1988). Only president can reopen universities. Daily Star x (390), 1 April, 20.
-  Anadi G. C. (1993). The problem of indiscipline in Nigeria: The home factor in O.
-  Animba D. Denga and O. Omolabi (eds.). Appraisal of students' unrest in Nigeria. Enugu: ABIC publishers.
-  Anowor O. O. (1993). Adolescence and its implication for improvement of students.
-  Discipline in O. Animba, D. Denga, and O. Omolabi (eds). Appraisal of students unrest in Nigeria: Enugu: ABIC publishers.
-  Burton J. W. (1990). Conflict resolution and prevention. London: Macmillan.
-  Echezona I. (2001). Curbing secret cults-related crisis in Nigerian Universities.
-  A.U. Akubue, D. Enyi (eds.). Crisis and challenges in developing countries. Ibadan: Wisdom Publishers Ltd.
-  Egwu E. (2003). Foresight: Towards exposing and eradicating cult and other social vices on campus. Lagos: Bravo Nominees Ltd.
-  Ezike H. O. (1993). Root cause and remedies of indiscipline in Nigerian universities in O.
-  Aniomba D. Denga. O. Omolabi (eds.) Appraisal of students' unrest in Nigeria: Enugu: ABIC Publishers.
-  Gaya S. B. (2006). The methods of conflict resolution and transformation in Gaya, S.B. (ed.). Introduction to peace and conflict studies in West Africa. Ibadan: Spectrum Books Limited.
-  Igodo C. (2002). Campaign against cultism and drug abuse among youths in Nigeria. Enugu: Magnet Business.
-  Nwanze S. (1991). Unveiling the secret of secret societies in campuses. National Concord, Lagos. 18th April, 1991. P. 16-18.
-  Okoye N. N. (1993). Psychological techniques for handling campus indiscipline in our institutions of higher learning in O. Animba, D. Denga and O. Omolabe (eds.) Appraisal of students unrest in Nigeria. Enugu: ABIC publishers.
-  Okeke V. U. (1996). Factors affecting students' crisis as perceived by the staff and students of UNN. Unpublished M.Ed. Thesis. October 1996.
-  Olanrewaju K. (2003). I have lost a gem. The Cornet Newspaper (Lagos) 28th August, 2003. P. 3.
-  Onyecheralam C. A. (1983). A study of cases of students' unrest as perceived by students in selected secondary schools in Imo State. Unpublished M.Ed. Thesis June 1983.
-  Onyeka B. V. (2002). Morning Madness at UNN. The Guardian (Lagos) 22nd June, 2002. P. 24.
-  Otite O. (1999). On conflict, their resolution, transformation and management. In O. Otite (ed.). Community conflicts in Nigeria Ibadan: Spectrum Books Ltd.
-  Rufus I. (1980 May, 21). Dealing with students' unrest. Daily Times. 1(314), 10.
-  Sanya O. A. (1981, May 2). Decade students' unrest. Sunday Concord. 1 (413), 3.
-  The Guardian (2002). Cultism and violence on our campuses. The Guardian (Lagos) March 2002. P. 22.
-  Ufot O. A., Journal for Education Practitioners and Thinker in Africa 1(5) (1980) 35-38.
-  Obi E. (1997). Communication and management of organization behaviour in A.N.
-  Ndu L. O. Ocho and O. Okeke (eds.) Dynamic of educational administration and management. Awka: Makes publishers.
-  Umeh E. D. (2001). Tertiary institution in Nigeria: haven or coven. Enugu: Pan African publishers.
-  Wale A. (1982). Forty-four confirmed dead in Kano and Kaduna. Daily Times (Lagos) 4th November, 1982. P. 25.