Nigerian Child Learning Styles : a Teaching Strategy for Achieving Effective Education in Nigeria
This study investigated the Nigerian child learning styles as a teaching strategy for achieving effective education in Nigeria. It was a survey design carried out in 258 public secondary schools in Anambra State. Respondents were made up of 1000 classroom teachers drawn through simple random sampling. Four research questions guided the study. A four-point scale questionnaire containing 28 items, validated by experts in Educational administration/supervision and Educational psychology was used for data collection. Data analysis was done using frequency distribution tables and mean scores. The findings revealed that secondary school teachers in Nigeria possess characteristics of good teaching to a high extent, eight learning styles for effective teaching were identified. The identified learning styles were applied to a low extent and five constraints responsible for the low application were also identified. Recommendations were made included that regular seminars and workshops should be organized to up-date these teachers, especially on the areas of learning styles and their effective application to encourage learners centred education. (original abstract)
-  Anyachebelu E. (2005). Educational Psychology for Effective strategies for improving learning in schools. Lagos Papyrus publishers.
-  Federal Republic of Nigeria - FRN (2004). National policy on Education. (4th Edition) NERDC.
-  Haris J., New Definition of Terms. Disability learning. Quartify 4(1) (2010) 336-342.
-  Hornby A. S. (2004). Advanced Dictionary for current English. Oxford: University Press.
-  Morsin K. C. (2010). Learning disabilities. Retrieval on 24th March, 2011 from http://ww.eduforum.org.
-  Okeke M. H., Educational Journal of Management Development 1(1) (2008) 2-6.
-  Stahl S., Journal of Review of Educational Research 4(2) (2009) 228-232.
-  Uche U. W., Onyemerekeya C. C. (2008). Teacher Education for Nigerian Tertiary Institution, NUC/NCCE Mnimum Standard Edition. Awka: NUC/Cento Publishers & Academic Press Ltd.
-  Ukeje B. O., Akabogu G. C., Ndu A. N. (1992). Educational Administration Enugu: fourth Dimension Publishing Co. Ltd.
-  Wikipedia (2009). Free Encyclopedia. Retreived on 4th June, 2011 from http://www.edu.org.unicef.ch.