3D model reconstruction and evaluation using a collection of points extracted from the series of photographs
This work describes the whole process of 3D model reconstruction. It begins with the representation of the method that is used to find the matching between photographs and the methodology to use the data to form the initial structure of the reconstructed model, represented by a point cloud. As a next stage, a refinement process is performed, using the bundle adjustment method. A set of stereovision methods is used later on to find a more detailed solution. Those algorithms use pairs of images, therefore as a prerequisite a set of routines that aggregates those results is studied. The paper is concluded with a description of how the point cloud is processed, including the surface reconstruction, to form the result. The described methodology is illustrated with reconstructions of three series of professional photographs from a public repository and one series of amateur photographs created especially for this work. The results were evaluated by the proposed area matching and contour matching measures.(original abstract)
- Alexa M., Behr J., Cohen-or D., Fleishman S., Levin D., and Silva C. T., "Computing and rendering point set surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 9, pp. 3-15, 2003.
- Arun K. S., Huang T. S., and Blostein S. D., "Least-squares fitting of two 3-d point sets," IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell., vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 698-700, May 1987. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.1987.4767965
- Bagrowski G. and Luckner M., "Comparison of corner detectors for revolving objects matching task," in ICAISC (1), ser. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, L. Rutkowski, M. Korytkowski, R. Scherer, R. Tadeusiewicz, L. A. Zadeh, and J. M. Zurada, Eds., vol. 7267. Springer, 2012, pp. 459-467.
- Bay H., Tuytelaars T., and Gool L. V., "Surf: Speeded up robust features," in In ECCV, 2006, pp. 404-417.
- Bradley D., Boubekeur T., Berlin T., and Heidrich W., "Accurate multiview reconstruction using robust binocular stereo and surface meshing," in In Proc. of CVPR, 2008.
- Cyganek B. and Siebert P., An Introduction to 3D Computer Vision Techniques and Algorithms. John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
- Fischler M. A. and Bolles R. C., "Random sample consensus: a paradigm for model fitting with applications to image analysis and automated cartography," Commun. ACM, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 381-395, Jun. 1981.
- Gimjumpa S., Narkbuekaew W., Sangworasil M., and Pintavirooj C., "3d modeling from multiple projections with arbitrary-posed camera," in Industrial Electronics and Applications, 2006 1ST IEEE Conference on, May 2006, pp. 1-5.
- Hartley R. I. and Zisserman A., Multiple View Geometry in Computer Vision, 2nd ed. Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- Hoppe H., DeRose T., Duchamp T., Mcdonald J., and Stuetzle W., "Surface reconstruction from unorganized points," in SIGGRAPH Comput. Graph., 1992, pp. 71-78.
- Jang I. Y., Cho J. -H., and Lee K. H., "3d human modeling from a single depth image dealing with self-occlusion," Multimedia Tools Appl., vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 267-288, 2012.
- Kazhdan M., Bolitho M., and Hoppe H., "Poisson surface reconstruction," in Proceedings of the fourth Eurographics symposium on Geometry processing, ser. SGP '06, 2006, pp. 61-70.
- Kolev K., Brox T., and Cremers D., "Fast joint estimation of silhouettes and dense 3d geometry from multiple images," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence,vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 493-505, 2012. [Online]. Available: http://lmb.informatik.uni-freiburg.de//Publications/2012/Bro12
- Lavoie P., Ionescu D., and Petriu E., "3d object model recovery from 2d images using structured light," Instrumentation and Measurement, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 437-443, April 2004.
- Lourakis M. A. and Argyros A., "SBA: A Software Package for Generic Sparse Bundle Adjustment," ACM Trans. Math. Software, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 1-30, 2009.
- Nguyen H. M., Wunsche B., Delmas P., Lutteroth C., and van der Mark W., "High resolution 3d content creation using unconstrained and uncalibrated cameras," in Human System Interaction (HSI), 2013 The 6th International Conference on, June 2013, pp. 637-644.
- Pierre Moreels J. A., "3D objects on turntable," www.vision.caltech.edu/pmoreels/Datasets/TurntableObjects/, 2006.
- Pollefeys M., "Visual 3d modeling from images," http://www.cs.unc.edu/~marc/tutorial/, course/Turorial notes, presented at Siggraph 2002/2001/2000, 3DIM 2001/2003, ECCV 2000.
- Rusinkiewicz S. and Levoy M., "Efficient variants of the ICP algorithm," in Third International Conference on 3D Digital Imaging and Modeling (3DIM), Jun. 2001.
- Rusu R. B., Marton Z. C., Blodow N., Dolha M., and Beetz M., "Towards 3d point cloud based object maps for household environments," Robotics and Autonomous Systems Journal (Special Issue on Semantic Knowledge), vol. 56, pp. 927-941, 2008. [Online]. Available: http://files.rbrusu.com/publications/Rusu08RAS-Semantic.pdf
- Scharstein D. and Szeliski R., "A taxonomy and evaluation of dense two-frame stereo correspondence algorithms," http://vision.middlebury.edu/stereo/, pp. 7-42, 2001.
- Seitz S. M., Curless B., Diebel J., Scharstein D., and Szeliski R., "A comparison and evaluation of multi-view stereo reconstruction algorithms," http://vision.middlebury.edu/mview/, Washington, DC, USA, pp. 519-528, 2006.
- Zawieska D., "Analysis of operators for detection of corners set in automatic image matching," Archives of Photogrammetry, Cartography and Remote Sensing, vol. 22, pp. 423-436, 2011.
- Zhang Y. -K. and Xiao Y., "A practical method of 3d reconstruction based on uncalibrated image sequence," in Signal Processing, 2008. ICSP 2008. 9th International Conference on, Oct 2008, pp. 1368-1371.