Improving Project Manufacturing Coordination
The objective of this research is to develop firms' project manufacturing coordination. The development will be made by centralizing the manufacturing information flows in one system. To be able to centralize information, a deep user need assessment is required. After user needs have been identified, the existing system will be developed to match these needs. The theoretical background is achieved through exploring the literature of project manufacturing, development project success factors and different frameworks and tools for development project execution. The focus of this research is rather in customer need assessment than in system's technical expertise. To ensure the deep understanding of customer needs this study is executed by action research method. As a result of this research the information system for project manufacturing coordination was developed to respond revealed needs of the stakeholders. The new system improves the quality of the manufacturing information, eliminates waste in manufacturing coordination processes and offers a better visibility to the project manufacturing. Hence it provides a solid base for the further development of project manufacturing. (original abstract)
-  Bryman A., Bell E., Business research methods, 2nd edition, Oxford University Press Inc., New York, 2007.
-  Banaszak Z., Zaremba M., Muszynski W., Constraint programming for project-driven manufacturing, International Journal of Production Economics, 120, 2, 463-475, 2007.
-  Olhager J., Strategic positioning of the order penetration point, International Journal of Production Economics, 85, 3, 319-329, 2003.
-  Rahim A., Baksh M., The need for a new product development framework for engineer-to-order products, European Journal of Innovation Management, 6, 3, 182-196, 2003.
-  Stephen F., Jokinen T., Lindfors N., Ylen J-P., Formulation of robust strategies for project manufacturing business, International Journal of Managing Projects in Business, 2, 2, 217- 237, 2008.
-  Blevins P., Project-oriented manufacturing: how to resolve the critical business issues that impact organizational competitiveness, APICS International Conference Proceedings, The Educational Society for Resource Management, Virginia, 1999.
-  Zhang Q., Vonderembse M., Cao M., Achieving flexible manufacturing competence: the roles of advanced manufacturing technology and operations improvement practices, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 26, 6, 580-599, 2006.
-  Singh R., Kumar R., Shankar R., Supply chain management in SMEs: a case study, International Journal of Manufacturing Research, 7, 2, 165-180, 2012.
-  Pelin R., Projektihallinnan käsikirja (in Finnish, Handbook of project management), 3rd edition, Projekijohtaminen Oy, Jyväskylä, 2002.
-  Davis K., Different stakeholder groups and their perceptions of project success, International journal of Project Management, 32, 2, 189-201, 2014.
-  Lai L., A Synergistic approach to project management in information systems development, International Journal of Project Management, 15, 3, 173-179, 1997.
-  Martinsuo M., Kantolahti T., Knowledge integration between the change program and the parent organisation, International Journal of Knowledge Management Studies, 3, 3/4, 241-258, 2009.
-  Hsu J., Lin T-C., Zheng G-T., Hung Y-W., Users as knowledge co-producers in the information system development project, International Journal of Project Management, 30, 1, 27-36, 2012.
-  Kłos S., Woźniak W., Methodology of ERP system improving, Management and Production Engineering Review, 1, 2, 38-46, 2010.
-  Yeo K., Critical failure factors in information system projects, International Journal of Project Management, 20, 3, 241-246, 2002.
-  Andersen S., Jansen A., Installed base as a facilitator for user-driven innovation: how can user innovation challenge existing institutional barriers?, International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications, 2012, 12, 2012.
-  Haikala I., Mikkonen T., Ohjelmistotuotannon käytännöt (in Finnish, Practises in software production), Talentum media Oy, Hämeenlinna, 2011.
-  Callegari D., Bastos R., Project management and software development processes: integrating RUP and PMBOK, International Conference on Systems Engineering and Modeling, 8, 2007.
-  Kärkkäinen H., Piippo P., Tuominen M., Ten tools for customer-driven product development in industrial companies, International Journal of Production Economics, 69, 2, 161-176, 2001.
-  Project Management Institute, A guide to the project management body of knowledge, 3rd edition, Project Management Institute, Inc. Pennsylvania, 2004.
-  Jones D., Womack J., Seeing the whole - Mapping the extended value stream, Lean Enterprise Institute, Cambridge, 2009.
-  Rother M., Shook J., Value-stream mapping to create value and eliminate muda, The Lean Enterprise Institute, Cambridge, 2009.
-  Tapping D., Shuker T., Value stream management for the lean office - Eight steps to planning and sustaining lean improvements in administrative areas, Productivity Press, New York, 2003.
-  Comm C., Mathaisel D., A paradigm for benchmarking lean initiatives for quality improvement, Benchmarking: An International Journal, 7, 2, 118-127, 2000.
-  Longbottom D., Benchmarking in the UK: an empirical study of practioners and academics, Benchmarking: An International Journal, 7, 2, 98-117, 2000.
-  Carnevalli J., Miguel P., Review, analysis and classification of the literature on QFD - Types of research, difficulties and benefits, International Journal of Production Economics, 114, 2, 737-754, 2008.
-  Govers C., QFD not just a tool but a way of quality management, International Journal of Production Economics, 69, 2, 151-159, 2001.