Performance Analysis of SaaS Ticket Management Systems
Cloud architecture has the ability of sharing hardware resources and services among multiple tenants. In this paper we measure the performance for the multi-VM (multiple virtual machines) cloud architecture and compare it with the single-VM architecture. Renting resources on a cloud usually comes with a variety of options, such as use of more and smaller virtual machines or use of less and bigger virtual machines. The objective of this research is to find out which scenario gives better performance for the same price of rented resources. This will be done by comparing the following attributes: Average response time, Pages per second, Average page time, Requests per second, CPU time. We setup a hypothesis that the multi-VM approach would be better, and the best architecture is the one offering the highest number of small virtual machines, predicting that the computational demands will spread to different virtual machines in a balanced manner. The results confirm the hypothesis and lead to a recommendation for an optimal architecture of a cloud based solution for a common transactional web solution.(original abstract)
- "Rubis," 2014. [Online]. Available: http://rubis.ow2.org/
- "Tpc benchmarkw(web commerce) specification," 2002. [Online]. Available: http://www.tpc.org/tpcw/spec/tpcw v1.8.pdf
- Amazon, "EC2," 2013. [Online]. Available: http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/
- Binnig C., Kossmann D., Kraska T., and Loesing S., "How is the weather tomorrow?: Towards a benchmark for the cloud," in Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Testing Database Systems, ser. DBTest '09. ACM, 2009. doi: 10.1145/1594156.1594168 pp. 9:1-9:6. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1594156.1594168
- Cecchet E., Udayabhanu V., Wood T., and Shenoy P., "Benchlab: An open testbed for realistic benchmarking of web applications," in Proc. of the 2Nd USENIX Conf. on Web Application Development, ser. WebApps'11, 2011, pp. 4-4. [Online]. Available: http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2002168.2002172
- Chen X., Chen H., Zheng Q., Wang W., and Liu G., "Characterizing web application performance for maximizing service providers' profits in clouds," in Cloud and Service Computing (CSC), 2011 International Conference on, Dec 2011, pp. 191-198.
- Google, "Compute Engine," 2013. [Online]. Available: http://cloud.google.com/pricing/
- Gusev M. and Ristov S., "The optimal resource allocation among virtual machines in cloud computing," in Proceedings of The 3rd International Conference on Cloud Computing, GRIDs, and Virtualization (CLOUD COMPUTING 2012), 2012, pp. 36-42.
- Gusev M., Ristov S., and Gushev P., "Developing a ticket management saas solution," in MIPRO, 2014 Proceedings of the 37th International Convention, IEEE Conference Publications, Croatia, 2014, pp. 328-333.
- Gusev M., Ristov S., Velkoski G., and Simjanoska M., "Optimal resource allocation to host web services in cloud," in Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE Sixth International Conference on Cloud Computing, ser. CLOUD'13, USA, June 2013. doi: 10.1109/CLOUD.2013.103 pp. 948-949. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/CLOUD.2013.103
- Gushev P., Guseva A., Ristov S., and Gusev M., "Cloud solutions for bug reporting," in XLVIII Int. Scientific Conf. on Information, Comm. and Energy Systems and Technologies, 2013, pp. 227-230.
- Hill Z., Li J., Mao M., Ruiz-Alvarez A., and Humphrey M., "Early observations on the performance of windows azure," in Proceedings of the 19th ACM International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing, ser. HPDC '10. ACM, 2010. doi: 10.1145/1851476.1851532. ISBN 978-1-60558-942-8 pp. 367-376. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1851476.1851532
- Iakymchuk R., Napper J., and Bientinesi P., "Improving highperformance computations on clouds through resource underutilization," in Proceedings of the 2011 ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, ser. SAC '11. ACM, 2011. doi: 10.1145/1982185.1982217 pp. 119-126. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1982185.1982217
- Iqbal W., Dailey M., and Carrera D., "Sla-driven dynamic resource management for multi-tier web applications in a cloud," in Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid), 2010 10th IEEE/ACM International Conference on, May 2010. doi: 10.1109/CCGRID.2010.59 pp. 832-837. [Online]. Available: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=5493374&isnumber=5493340
- Jayasinghe D., Malkowski S., Wang Q., Li J., Xiong P., and Pu C., "Variations in performance and scalability when migrating n-tier applications to different clouds," in Cloud Computing (CLOUD), 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on, 2011. doi: 10.1109/CLOUD.2011.43 pp. 73-80. [Online]. Available: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6008695&isnumber=6008659
- Koh Y., Knauerhase R., Brett P., Bowman M., Wen Z., and Pu C., "An Analysis of Performance Interference Effects in Virtual Environments," in Performance Analysis of Systems Software, 2007. ISPASS 2007. IEEE International Symposium on, april 2007, pp. 200 -209.
- Microsoft. Analyzing load test results and errors in the tables view of the load test analyzer. Microsoft. [Online]. Available: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404656.aspx