Flipped Computer Science Classes
This paper describes flipped Computer Science (CS) classes. Introduction brings review of literature followed by detailed information about idea of flipped classroom (FC). Later classes in CS in Civil Engineering are presented. Next part of the paper gives detailed information about a survey concerning FC. Last part of the paper shows results of the survey and compares them with results of similar surveys conducted in United States and Canada. Final remarks show, that it is very difficult to motivate digital natives to learn.(original abstract)
- Anderson L. W., Krathwohl D. R., Airasian P. W., Cruikshank K. A., Mayer R. E., Pintrich P. R., Raths J., and Wittrock M. C., A Taxonomy for Learning, Teaching, and Assessing: A Revision of Bloom's Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, Abridged Edition, 2nd ed. Pearson, 2000.
- Bergmann J. and Sams A., Flip Your Classroom: Reach Every Student in Every Class Every Day. International Society for Technology in Education, 2012.
- Bloom B. S., Taxonomy of Educational Objectives Book 1: Cognitive Domain, 2nd edition. Addison Wesley Publishing Company, 1984.
- Bretzmann J., Flipping 2.0. Bretzmann Group LLC, 2013.
- Brophy J. E., Motivating Students to Learn. Routledge, 2010.
- Cipres A. P., Fardoun H. M., and Mashat A., "Cataloging Teaching Units: Resources, Evaluation and Collaboration," in Proceedings of the 2012 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, 2012, pp. 825-830.
- Day J. A. and Foley J. D., "Evaluating a Web Lecture Intervention in a Human-Computer Interaction Course," IEEE Trans. on Educ., vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 420-431, Nov. 2006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TE.2006.879792
- Foertsch J., Moses G., Strikwerda J., and Litzkow M., "Reversing the Lecture/Homework Paradigm Using eTEACH® Web-based Streaming Video Software," Journal of Engineering Education, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 267-274, Jul. 2002. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2002.tb00703.x
- Gajewski R. R., "How to change the unchanging? Restructuring Polish universities for the XXI century," in TelE-learning, The Challenge for the Third Millennium, 2002, pp. 297-300.
- Gajewski R., "Towards a New Look at Steaming Media," in WCCE 2013 10th IFIP World Conference on Computers in Education, vol. 2: Practice Papers, Torun: IFIP, 2013, pp. 98-103.
- Gajewski R., Wlasak L., and Jaczewski M., "IS (ICT) and CS in Civil Engineering Curricula: Case Study," in Proceedings of the 2013 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, Krakow: IEEE, 2013, pp. 717-720.
- Gannod G. C., "Work in progress; Using podcasting in an inverted classroom," in Frontiers In Education Conference - Global Engineering: Knowledge Without Borders, Opportunities Without Passports, 2007. FIE '07. 37th Annual, 2007, pp. S3J-1-S3J-2. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/FIE.2007.4418119
- Gannod G. C., Burge J. E., and Helmick M. T., "Using the Inverted Classroom to Teach Software Engineering," in Proceedings of the 30th International Conference on Software Engineering, New York, NY, USA, 2008, pp. 777-786. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1368088.1368198
- Harel D. and Feldman Y., Algorithmics: The Spirit of Computing, 3rd ed. Addison-Wesley, 2004.
- Helmick M. T., "Integrated Online Courseware for Computer Science Courses," in Proceedings of the 12th Annual SIGCSE Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, New York, NY, USA, 2007, pp. 146-150. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1268784.1268828
- Johnson G. B., "Student Perceptions on the Flipped Classroom." The University of British Columbia, 2013.
- Lage M. J., Platt G. J., and Treglia M., "Inverting the Classroom: A Gateway to Creating an Inclusive Learning Environment," Journal of Economic Education, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 30-43, 2000. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00220480009596759
- Larsen R. W., Introduction to Mathcad 15, 3rd ed. Prentice Hall, 2010.
- Marco F. A., Penichet V. M. R., and Lázaro J. A. G., "Drawer: an Innovative Teaching Method for Blended Learning," in Proceedings of the 2013 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, 2013, pp. 727-734.
- Maxfield B., Essential Mathcad for Engineering, Science, and Math, Second Edition, 2nd ed. Academic Press, 2009.
- Maxfield B., Essential PTC® Mathcad Prime® 3.0: A Guide for New and Current Users, 1 edition. Academic Press, 2013.
- Mendler A., Motivating Students Who Don't Care: Successful Techniques for Educators. National Educational Service, 2000.
- Mihaescu C., "Classification of Learners Using Linear Regression," in Proceedings of the 2011 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, 2011, pp. 717-721.
- Mihăescu M. C., "The Design of eLeTK - Software System for Enhancing On-Line Educational Environments," in Proceedings of the 2012 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, 2012, pp. 739-744.
- Mironova O., Rüütmann T., Amitan I., Vilipõld J., and Saar M., "Computer Science E-Courses for Students with Different Learning Styles," in Proceedings of the 2013 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, 2013, pp. 735-738.
- Prensky M. R., Teaching Digital Natives: Partnering for Real Learning. Corwin, 2010.
- Pritchard P., Mathcad: A Tool for Engineering Problem Solving + CD ROM to accompany Mathcad, 2nd ed. McGraw-Hill Science/Engineering/Math, 2011.
- Romanelli F., Byrd E., and Ryan M., "Learning Styles: A Review of Theory, Application, and Best Practices," American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 1-5, 2009.
- Scheines R., Smith J., Leinhardt G., and Cho K., "Replacing lecture with Web-based course materials," Journal of Educational Computing Research, vol. 32, pp. 1-26, 2003.
- Schreurs J. and Al-Huneidi A., "Design of Learner-Centered constructivism based Learning Process," in Proceedings of the 2012 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, 2012, pp. 1159-1164.
- Scott C., "The Enduring Appeal of 'Learning Styles,'" Australian Journal of Education, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 5-17, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/000494411005400102
- Walsh K. and Walsh P. J., Flipped Classroom Workshop in a Book, 1 edition. Kelly Walsh, 2013.
- Wesselingh H. and de Waard H., Calculate & Communicate with Mathcad Prime. Delft: VSSD, 2012.
- Wlasak L., Jaczewski M., Dubilis T., and Warda T., "How to Motivate Digital Natives to Learn?," in WCCE 2013 10th IFIP World Conference on Computers in Education, vol. 3: Book of Abstracts, Torun: IFIP, 2013, pp. 78-79.