The Effects of Capital on Bank Lending in Large EU Banks - the Role of Procyclicality, Income Smoothing, Regulations and Supervision
This paper aims to find out what the impact is of bank capital ratios on loan supply in the EU and what factors explain the potential diversity of this impact. Applying the Blundell and Bond (1998) two step GMM estimator, we show that, in the EU context, the role of capital ratio for loan growth is stronger than previous literature has found for other countries. Our study sheds some light on whether procyclicality of loan loss provisions and income smoothing with loan loss provisions contribute to procyclical impact of capital ratio on loan growth. We document that loan growth of banks that have more procyclical loan loss provisions and that engage less in income smoothing is more sensitive to capital ratios. This sensitivity is slightly increased in this sample of banks during contractions. Moreover, more restrictive regulations and more stringent official supervision reduce the magnitude of the effect of capital ratio on bank lending. Taken together, our results suggest that capital ratios are an important determinant of lending in large EU banks. (original abstract)
- Abreu, M., & Mendes, V. (2002). Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Evidence from E.U. Countries. Working Paper Series, Porto.
- Ahmed, A., Takeda, C., & Thomas, S. (1999). Bank Loan Loss Provisions: A Re-examination of Capital Management, Earnings Management and Signaling Effects. Journal of Accounting and Economics 28, 1-25.
- Aiyar, S., Calomiris, C. W., & Wiedladek, T. (2014), Does macro-prudential regulation leak? evidence from a UK policy experiment, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking 46 (s1), 181-214.
- Arellano, M., & Bond, S. (1991). Some test of specification for panel data: Monte Carlo evidence and application to employment equations. Review of Economic Studies 58, 227-297.
- Bank for International Settlements (BIS), Financial Stability Board (FSB), International Monetary Fund (IMF) (2011) Macroprudential Policy Tools and Frameworks. Progress Report to G20, 27 October 2011.
- Barth, J.R., Caprio, G. Jr., & Levine, R.(2006). Rethinking Bank Regulation. Till Angels Govern. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Barth, J.R., Caprio, G. Jr., & Levine, R. (2008). Bank Regulations Are Changing: For Better or Worse? Policy Research Working Paper4646, World Bank.
- Barth, J.R., Caprio, G. Jr., & Levine, R. (2013). Measure it, improve it. Bank Regulation and Supervision in 180 Countries 1999-2011. Milken Institute.
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (BCBS) (2010). Basel III: a global regulatory framework for more resilient banks and banking systems. Basel: Bank For International Settlements.
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (BCBS) (2011). Basel III: a global regulatory framework for more resilient banks and banking systems. Basel: Bank for International Settlements.
- Bassett, W. F., Chosak, M. B., Driscoll, J. C., & Zakrajasek, E. (2014). Changes in bank lending standards and the macroeconomy. Journal of Monetary Economics 62(6), 23-40
- Beatty, A., & Liao, S. (2011). Do delays in expected loss recognition affect banks' willingness to lend? Journal of Accounting and Economics 52, 1-20
- Beatty, A., & Liao, S. (2014). Financial accounting in the banking industry: A review of the empirical literature. Journal of Accounting and Economics 58, 339-383
- Beatty, A.L., Ke, B., & Petroni, K.R., (2002). Earnings Management to Avoid Earnings Declines across Publicly and Privately Held Banks. The Accounting Review 77, 547-570.
- Beaver, W.H., & Engel, E.(1996). Discretionary behavior with respect to allowances for loan losses and the behavior of security prices. Journal of Accounting and Economics 22, 177-206.
- Berger, A., Herrig, R.J., & Szegö, G.P. (1995). The role of capital in financial institutions. Journal of Banking and Finance 19, 393 -430.
- Bernanke, B.S., Lown,C.S. (1991). The Credit Crunch. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity 2, 205-248.
- Berrospide J.M., Edge R.M. (2010). The effects of bank capital on lending: What do we know? And What does it mean? International Journal of Central Banking, December 2010, 5-54. http://www.ijcb.org/journal/ijcb10q4a2.pdfalso available as working paper at: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/feds/2010/201044/201044pap.pdf
- Bikker, J.A., Metzemakers, P.A.J., 2005. Bank provisioning behaviour and procyclicality. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money 15, 141-157.
- Blaes, B. (2011), Bank-related loan supply factors during the crisis: an analysis based on the German bank lending survey, Number 2011, 31. Discussion Paper Series1: Economic Studies. http://www.bundesbank.de/Redaktion/EN/Downloads/Publications/Discussion_Paper_1/2011/2011_12_30_dkp_31.pdf?__blob=publicationFile08.12.2014
- Blundell, R., & Bond, S.(1998). Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model. Journal of Econometrics 87, 115-143.
- Borio, C., & Zhu, V. H. (2012). Capital Regulation, Risk-Taking, and Monetary Policy: A Missing Link in the Transmission Mechanism? Journal of Financial Stability 8, 236-251.
- Borio, C., (2009). Implementing the macroprudential approach to financial regulations and supervision. Financial Stability Review 13 - The future of financial regulation, Banque de France, 31-41.
- Borio, C., Furfine, C., & Lowe, P. (2001). Procyclicality of the financial system and financial stability: issues and policy options. BIS Papers 1, Bank for International Settlements.
- Bouvatier, V., & Lepetit, L. (2008). Banks' procyclical behavior: does provisioning matter? Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money 18, 513-526.
- Bouvatier, V., & Lepetit, L. (2010). Effects of loan loss provisions on growth in bank lending: some international comparisons. Working paper.
- Bridges J., Gregory D., Nielsen M., Pezzini S., Radia A., & Spaltro M. (2014). The impact of capital requirements on bank lending. Working Paper No. 486. Bank of England.
- Burgstahler, D., & Dichev, I. (1997). Earnings management to avoid earnings decreases and losses. Journal of Accounting and Economics 24, 99-126.
- Bushman, R.M., Williams, Ch.D. (2013) Delayed Expected Loss Recognition and the Risk Profile of Banks. Working Paper. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2226964
- Carlson, M., Shan, H., & Warusawitharana, M. (2013).Capital ratios and bank lending: A matched bank approach. Journal of Financial Intermediation 22, 663-687
- Chiuri, M.C., Ferri, G., & Majnoni, G. (2002) The macroeconomic impact of bank capital requirements in emerging economies: Pase evidence to assess the future. Journal of Banking & Finance 26, 881-904.
- Committee on the Global Financial System (CGFS)(2010). Macroprudential instruments and framework: a stocktaking of issues and experiences. CGFS Papers 38, Bank for International Settlements.
- Degeorge, F., Patel, J., & Zeckhauser, R. (1999). Earnings management to exceed thresholds. Journal of Business 72, 1-33.
- Del Giovane, P., Eramo,G., and Nobili, A. (2011), Disentangling demand and supply in credit developments: A survey-based analysis for Italy, Journal of Banking & Finance 35 (10), 2719-2732.
- Dell'Ariccia, G., Igan, D., & Laeven, L. (2012). Credit booms and lending standards: Evidence from the subprime mortgage market. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 44(23), 367-384.
- Dewatripont, M., Tirole, J. (1994). The Prudential Regulation of Banks. MIT Press, Cambridge MA.
- Disyatat,P. (2010) The bank lending channel revisited, BIS Working Papers No 297
- Fonseca, A.R., González, F.(2008). Cross-country determinants of bank income smoothing by managing loan-loss provisions. Journal of Banking & Finance32, 217-228.
- Freixas, X., Rochet, J. (1997). Microeconomics of Banking. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Goel, A.M., & Thakor, A.V. (2003). Why do firms smooth earnings? Journal of Business 76, 151-192.
- Greenawalt, M.B., & Sinkey, J.F. (1988). Bank Loan-Loss Provisions and the Income-Smoothing Hypothesis: An Empirical Analysis, 1976-1984. Journal of Financial Services Research 1, 301-318.
- Healy, P.M., & Whalen, J.M. (1999). A Review of the Earnings Management Literature and its Implications for Standard Setting. Accounting Horizons 13, 365-383.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) (2011) Macroprudential Policy: An Organizing Framework. Paper prepared by the Monetary and Capital Markets Department, International Monetary Fund.
- Jackson P., Furfine C., Groeneveld H. Hancock D., Jones D., Perraudin W., Radecki L., Yoneyama M. (1999) Capital Requirements and Bank Behaviour: The Impact of The Basle Accord. Basle: Bank for International Settlements
- Kanagaretnam, K., Lobo, G.J., & Mathieu, R. (2003). Managerial Incentives for Income Smoothing Through Bank Loan Loss Provisions. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting 20, 63-80.
- Kishan, R., & Opiela, T.(2000). Bank size, bank capital, and the bank lending channel. Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking 32, 121-141.
- Kishan, R., & Opiela, T. (2006). Bank Capital and Loan Asymmetry in the Transmission of Monetary Policy. Journal of Banking and Finance 30, 259-285.
- Koch, T.W., & Wall, L.D. (2000). Bank Loan-Loss Accounting: a review of Theoretical and Empirical Evidence. Economic Review 2/2000, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Labonne,C., & Lame,G. (2014) Credit Growth and Bank Capital Requirements: Binding or Not? Working Paper https://www.banque-france.fr/fileadmin/user_upload/banque_de_france/Economie_et_Statistiques/Credit-growth-and-bank-capital-requirements-binding-or-not.pdf
- Laeven, L., & Majnoni, G., 2003. Loan loss provisioning and economic slowdowns: too much, too late? Journal of Financial Intermediation 12, 178-197
- Lenart, Ł., & Pipień, M. (2013). Almost Periodically Correlated Time Series in Business Fluctuations Analysis. Acta Physica Polonica A 123(3), 70-86.
- Liu, Ch.-Ch., & Ryan, G.S. (2006). Income Smoothing over the Business Cycle: Changes in Banks' Coordinated Management of Provisions for Loan Losses and Loan Charge-Offs from the Pre-1990 bust to the 1990s Boom. The Accounting Review 81, 421-441.
- Mora,N., & Logan, A. (2012).Shock to bank capital: Evidence from UK Banks at Home and Away. Applied Economics 44 (9), 1103-1119.
- Myers, S. (1984). The capital structure puzzle. Journal of Finance 39, 575-592.
- Myers, S., & Majluf, N.(1984). Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have. Journal of Financial Economics 13,187-221
- Neuberger,D., & Rissi,R. (2014). Macroprudential Banking Regulation: Does One Size Fit All? Journal of Banking and Financial Economics No 1(1)2014, 5-28. DOI: 10.7172/2353-6845.jbfe.2014.1.1
- Nichols, D., Wahlen, J., & Wieland, M. (2009). Publicly-trade versus privately-held: implications for bank profitability, growth risk, and accounting conservatism. Review of Accounting Studies 14, 88-122.
- Norden, L., & Stoian, A. (2013). Bank earnings management through loan loss provisions: a double-edged sword? Working Paper No. 404, De Netherlandsche Bank NV
- Olszak, M., Pipień, M., Roszkowska, S., & Kowalska, I. (2014). What drives heterogeneity of procyclicality of loan loss provisions in the EU? Faculty of Management Working Paper Series 3/2014. Retrieved from https://ideas.repec.org/p/sgm/fmuwwp/32014.html
- Peek, J., & Rosengren, E. (1994). Bank real estate lending and the New England capital crunch. Journal of American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association 22, 33-58
- Peek, J., & Rosengren, E. (1995a). The capital crunch: Neither a borrower nor a lender be. Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking 27, 625-638.
- Peek, J., & Rosengren, E. (1995b). Bank regulation and the credit crunch. Journal of Banking and Finance 19, 679-692.
- Peek, J., & Rosengren, E. (1997). The International Transmission of Financial Shocks: The Case of Japan. American Economic Review, Vol. 87, No. 4, pp. 495-505.
- Peek, J., & Rosengren, E. (2000). Collateral Damage: Effects of the Japanese Banking Crisis on Real Activity in the United States. American Economic Review, Vol. 90, No. 1, pp. 30-45.
- Roodman, D., 2009. Practitioners Corner: A Note on the Theme of Too Many Instruments. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics 71, 135-156.
- Roodman, D., 2009a. How to do xtabond2: An introduction to difference and system GMM in Stata. The Stata Journal 9, 86-136
- Shen, C.,& Chich, H. (2005). Investor protection, prospect theory, and earnings management: An international comparison of the banking industry. Journal of Banking and Finance 29, 2675-2697.
- Shrieves, R.E., & Dahl, D. (2003). Discretionary accounting and the behavior of Japanese banks under financial duress. Journal of Banking and Finance 27, 1219-1243.
- Stephanou, C. (2010). Rethinking market discipline in banking: lessons from the financial crisis. Policy Research Working Paper 5227, The World Bank.
- Van den Heuvel, S.J. (2009) The Bank Capital Channel of Monetary Policy, Federal Reserve Board, Working Paper.
- Van den Heuvel, S.J. (2011) Banking Conditions and the Effects of Monetary Policy: Evidence from U.S. States, Federal Reserve Board, Working Paper.
- Volk, M., & Trefalt, P. (2014) Access to Credit as Growth Constraint. Journal of Banking and Financial Economics No 1(1) 2014, 29-29. DOI: 10.7172/2353-6845.jbfe.2014.1.2
- Wilson, J.O.S., Casu, B., Girardone, C., & Molyneux, P. (2010). Emerging themes in banking: Recent literature and directions for future research. The British Accounting Review 42, pp.153-169
- Zhou, Y. (2008). Capital Management and Loan Loss Provisions -the new U.S. Evidence Under the Basel Accord, Working Paper, University of Queensland, Australia.