Interconnections between Public Indebtedness and Inflation in Contemporary Economies
This paper aims to analyze the specific interconnections established between public indebtedness and inflation, both from the perspective of considering inflation as a result of public borrowing and of voluntarily promoting inflation to reduce the (real) value of public debt and to ease its burden. It identifies the channels through which these effects are occurring, it determines the conditions of their manifestation and evaluates their relevance for different (developed and developing) contemporary economies. Although promoting irrational public borrowing may lead to inflation, such a correlation proved to be quite difficult to identify in the practice, especially for currently developed economies. (original abstract)
- Aizenman, J. and Marion, N. (2009), Using inflation to erode the U.S. public debt, NBER Working Paper no. 15562.
- Amo-Yartey, Ch., Narita, M., Nicholls, G.P., Okwuokei, J.C., Peter, A. and Turner-Jones, Th. (2012), The challenges of fiscal consolidation and debt reduction in the Carribean, IMF Working Paper no. 276.
- Anghelache, G. and Belean, P. (2003), Finanşele publice ale României, Bucureşti: Economica Publishing House.
- Avgeris, N. and Katrakilidis, C (2013), A dynamic panel, empirical investigation on the link between inflation and fiscal imbalances. does heterogeneity matter? Prague Economic Papers, Vol. 2, pp. 147-162.
- Bilan, I. (2010), Public Debt Developments in EU Member States: Challenges and Solutions, Globalization and Higher Education in Economics and Business Administration, Iaşi: "Al. I. Cuza" University Publishing House.
- Caron, M. (2007), Budget et politiques budgetaires, Paris: Editions Breal.
- Catao, L. and Terrones M. E. (2003), Fiscal deficits and inflation, IMF Working Paper no. 65.
- De Haan, J. and Zelhorst, D. (1990), The impact of government deficits on money growth in developing countries, Journal of International Money and Finance, Vol. 9(4), pp. 455-469.
- Lozano, I. (2008), Budget deficit, money growth and inflation: evidence from the Colombian case, Borradores de Economia, Banco Central de Colombia.
- Eichengreen, B., Feldman, R., Liebman, J., Von Hagen, J. and Wzplosy, Ch. (2011), Public debts: nuts, bolts and worries, Geneva: International Center for Monetary and Banking Studies.
- European Central Bank (2014), Statistical Data Warehouse, available online at http://sdw.ecb.europa.eu/, referred on 10/01/2014.
- European Central Bank (2012), Annual Report - 2011, available online at http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/annrep/ar2011ro.pdf, referred on 18/12/2013.
- Eurostat (2014), Statistics Database, available online at http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/ portal/ statistics/search_database, referred on 10/01/2014.
- Filip, Gh. (2002), Finanşe publice, Iaşi: Junimea.
- International Monetary Fund (2013), World Economic Outlook Database - April 2013, available online at http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2013/01/weodata/index.aspx, referred on 20/12/2013.
- Jain, T. R. and Kaur, S. J. (2009), Public finance and international trade, New Delhi: V.K. Publications.
- Krause, M.U. and Moyen, S. (2013), Public debt and changing inflation targets, Deutsche Bundesbank Working Paper no. 6.
- Martin, F. M. (2013), Debt, inflation and central bank independence, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Working Paper no. 017C.
- National Bank of Romania (2014), Annual Reports of NBR, available online at http://www.bnro.ro/ PublicationDocuments.aspx?icid=3043, referred on 18/01/2014.
- Moşteanu, T., Stroe, R., Alexandru, F., Moşteanu, R., Armeanu, D., Tâţu, L. and Câmpeanu, E. (2003), Politici fiscale şi bugetare pentru reformarea economiei şi relansarea creşterii economice, Bucureşti: Economica Publishing House.
- Patience, A. I. and Augustine, O. O. (2008), Deficit Financing and its Inflationary Impact on Developing Economies: Nigerian Economy in Perspective, Journal of Financial Management and Analysis, Vol. 21, Issue 1, p. 58.
- Roman, A. (2009), Politici monetare, Iaşi: "Al. I. Cuza" Publishing House.
- Roman, A. and Bilan, I. (2007), Inflationary effects of budget deficit financing in contemporary economies, The Scientific Annals of "Al. I. Cuza" University of Iaşi, Economic Sciences Series, Vol. LIV, pp. 77-82.
- Zebulun, K. and Tapas Kumar, P. (2010), Deficit Financing and Inflation in Bangladesh: A Vector Autoregressive Analysis, The Jahangirnagar Economic Review, Vol. 21, pp. 9-26.