The Influence of Real Estate on Its Surroundings Based on the Example of the Manufaktura Complex in Lodz
Real estate compared to other goods is distinguished by a high specificity. One of the signs of these specifics is the interdependence or correlation between property and its surroundings. On the one hand, the factor of closest neighborhood can largely shape the value of the property, while on the other hand, the function, use and development of real estate can strongly affect nearby property and the image of their entire neighborhood. The dynamics of the interdependence between the property and its environment reveal themselves most clearly in moments of transformation of real estate and its use. This study has a research character. The focus of this article is one of the aspects of interdependence - the impact of the property, its use and development on its closest surroundings. The aim of this article is to show the manifestations of different types of external effects generated by the property. Case study research was conducted on the housing market in Lodz for the purpose of the article. The study included the analysis of 3,444 transactions made during the period from July 2005 to December 2009 in the area of 27 precincts representing the proximal and distal environment of the Manufaktura complex. The study analyzed the impact of the transformation from a post-industrial area into a multifunctional one, with the dominant function of trade, on the prices and marketability of apartments located in the vicinity of the complex. The performed analyses have not clearly confirmed the impact of the carried out transformations on the price of housing in areas surrounding the Manufaktura complex. However, the analyses did reveal that the proximity of the multifunction complex may be one of the factors influencing the activity of the housing market in the area. (original abstract)
- ASABERE P. K., HUFFMAN F. E., 2001, Historic Districts and Land Values, The Journal of Real Estate Reaserch, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 1-7.
- BOLITZER B., NETUSIL N. R., 2000, The impact of open spaces on property values in Portland, Oregon, Journal of Environmental Management, No. 59, pp. 185-193.
- BRUN C. de (red.), 2007, The Economic Benefits of Land Conservation, The Trust for Public Land.
- CROMPTON, J.L., 2001, The Impact of Parks on Property Values: A Review of the Empirical Evidence, Journal of Leisure Research, No. 33, pp. 1-31.
- CROMPTON J. L., 2005, The impact of parks on property values: empirical evidence from the past two decades in the United States, Managing Leisure, No. 10, pp. 203-218.
- EMERY J., 2006, Bullring: A case study of retail-led urban renewal and its contribution to city centre regeneration, Journal of Retail and Leisure Property, No. 5, pp. 121-133.
- ESPEY M., LOPEZ H., 2000, The Impact of Airport Noise and Proximity on Residential Property Values, Growth and Change, Vol. 31 (Summer), pp. 408-419.
- EPPLI M. J., BENJAMIN J. D., 1994, The Evolution of Shopping Center Research: A Review and Analysis, The Journal of Real Estate Reaserch, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 1-28.
- DE SOUSA C. A., WU C., WESTPHAL L. M., 2009, Assessing the Effect of Publicly Assisted Brownfield Redevelopment on Surrounding Property Values, Economic Development Quarterly, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 95-110.
- DE VOR F., DE GROOT H. L. F., 2011, The Impact of Industrial Sites on Residential Property Values: A Hedonic Pricing Analysis from the Netherlands, Regional Studies, Vol. 45, No. 5, pp. 609-623.
- HITE D., CHERN W., HITZHUSEN F., RANDALL A., 2001, Property-Value Impacts of an Environmental Disamenity: The Case of Landfills, Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Vol. 22, No. 2/3, pp. 185-202.
- JIM C. Y., CHEN W. Y., 2007, Consumption preferences and environmental externalities: A hedonic analysis of the housing market in Guangzhou, Geoforum, No. 38, pp. 414-431.
- JIM C. Y., CHEN W. Y., 2010, External effects of neighbourhood parks and landscape elements on high-rise residential value, Land Use Policy, No. 27, pp. 662-670.
- KAUFMAN D. A., CLOUTIER N. R., 2006, The Impact of Small Brownfields and Greenspaces on Residential Property Values, Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, No. 33, pp. 19-30.
- KIEL K., ZABEL J., 2001, Estimating the economic benefits of cleaning up superfund sites: the case of Woburn, Massachusetts, Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics No. 22, pp. 163-184.
- KUCHARSKA-STASIAK E., 2006, Nieruchomość w gospodarce rynkowej, Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN, Warszawa. (Real Estate in Market Economy).
- LOWE M., 2005, The Regional Shopping Centre in the Inner City: A Study of Retail-led Urban Regeneration, Urban Studies, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp. 449-470.
- LUTTIK J., 2000, The value of trees, water and open space as reflected by house prices in the Netherlands, Landscape and Urban Planning No 48, pp. 161-167.
- PARKER D. C., 2007, Revealing ''space'' in spatial externalities: Edge-effect externalities and spatial incentives, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, No. 54, pp. 84-99.
- SANDERA H. A., POLASKY S., 2009, The value of views and open space: Estimates from a hedonic pricing model for Ramsey County, Minnesota, USA, Land Use Policy, No. 26, pp. 837-845.
- SIMONS R. A., QUERCIA R. G., MARIC I., 1998, The value Impact of New Residential Construction and Neighborhood, The Journal of Real Estate Reaserch, Vol. 15, No. 1/2, pp. 147-161.
- SIRPAL R., 1994, Empirical Modeling of the Relative Impacts of Various Sizes of Shopping Centers on the Values of Surrounding Residential Properties, The Journal of Real Estate Research, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 487-505
- THIBODEAU T. G., 1990, Estimating the Effect of High-Rise Office Buildings on Residential Property Values, Land Economics Vol. 66. No. 4. November, pp. 402-408.
- VOICU I., BEEN V., 2008, The Effect of Community Gardens on Neighboring Property Values, Real Estate Economics, Vol. 36, No. 2: pp. 241-283.
- WINTER W., ELLIOTT W., 2008, Measuring the Impact of a Community Revitalization Program The Case of Beyond Housing in Pagedale, Missouri, Center for Social Development, CSD Working Papers, No. 08.
- ZAHIROVIC-HERBERT V., CHATTERJEE S., 2012, Historic Preservation and Residential Property Values: Evidence from Quantile Regression, Urban Studies, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 369-382.