A Comprehensive Evaluation of Sustainable Manufacturing Programs Using Analytic Network Process (ANP)
Evaluation of programs initiated by manufacturing firms that are geared toward sustainability is worthy of attention in research due to the current global demands of addressing not just economic growth but environmental and social burdens. This paper attempts to provide a comprehensive evaluation framework using the hierarchical structure of sustainable manufacturing (SM) indicators set developed by the US National Institute of Standards and Technology (US NIST) and a multi-criteria decisionmaking (MCDM) approach, the analytic network process (ANP). ANP is deemed appropriate, aside from the multi-criteria nature of the problem, because of the presence of subjective components that are interrelating in complex relationships. A real case study is carried out in a semiconductor manufacturing firm in the Philippines in the evaluation of its programs toward sustainability. The results show that the creation and implementation of cleaner production technologies are considered the most relevant programs. Developing energy-efficient products and adopting lean six sigma programs are considered second on the list. This paper proposes that sustainability is achieved by formulating strategies that enhance customer and community well-being via addressing environmental concerns especially on toxic substance, greenhouse gas (GHG) and air emissions. The contribution of this paper consists in providing an evaluation framework which is comprehensive enough to capture real-life complex decision-making processes. Limitations and possibilities for future research are also presented in this paper.(original abstract)
- Ageron B., Gunasekaran A. and Spalanzani A. (2012), Sustainable Supply Chain Management: An Empirical Study, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 140, No. 1, 168-182.
- Alonso J.A. and Lamata M.T. (2006), Consistency in the Analytic Hierarchy Process: A New Approach, International Journal of Uncertainty, Fuzziness and Knowledge-Based Systems, Vol. 14, No. 4, 445-459.
- Azapagic A. (2003), Systems Approach to Corporate Sustainability: A General Management Framework, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, Vol. 81, No. 5, 303-316.
- Baskaran V., Nachiappan S. and Rahman S. (2012), Indian Textile Suppliers' Sustainability Evaluation Using the Grey Approach, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 135, No. 2, 647-658.
- Brucker K. de, Macharis C. and Verbeke A. (2013), Multi-criteria Analysis and the Resolution of Sustainable Development Dilemmas: A Stakeholder Management Approach, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 224, No. 1, 122-131.
- Chen C.C., Shih H.S., Shyur H.J. and Wu K.S. (2012), A Business Strategy Selection of Green Supply Chain Management via an Analytic Network Process, Computers and Mathematics with Applications, Vol. 64, No. 8, 2544-2557.
- Cho K.T. (2003), Multicriteria Decision Methods: An Attempt to Evaluate and Unify, Mathematical and Computer Modeling, Vol. 37, No. 9-10, 1099-1119.
- Dreher J., Lawler M., Stewart J., Strasorier G. and Thorne M. (2009), General Motors Metrics for Sustainable Manufacturing, MIT Sloan School of Management Report, MIT Sloan School, Cambridge MA, USA.
- EEA (European Environmental Agency) CSI (2005), EEA Core Set of Indicators, EEA Technical Report, No. 1.
- Elkington J. (1997), Cannibals with Forks: The Triple Bottom Line of 21st Century Business, Capstone, Oxford.
- EpfI (Environmental Performance Indicators) (2010), 2010 Environmental Performance Indicators, Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy/Center for International Earth Science Information Network in Collaboration with World Economic Forum/Joint Research Centre of the European Commission, http://epi.yale.edu/file_columns/0000/0008/epi-2010.pdf.
- EprI (1999), Towards Environmental Pressure Indicators for the EU, Environment and Energy Paper Theme 8, Luxembourg, European Commission, http://biogov.cpdr.ucl.ac.be/communication/papers/tepi99rp_EN105.pdf.
- ESI (Environmental Sustainability Indicators) (2005), 2005 Environmental Sustainability Index: Benchmarking National Environmental Stewardship, Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy/Center for International Earth Science Information Network, http:www.yale.edu/esi/ESI2005.pdf.
- Feng S.C., Joung C.B. and Li G. (2010), Development Overview of Sustainable Manufacturing Metrics, Proceedings of the 17th CIRP International Conference on Life Cycle Engineering, Hefei, China, 6-12.
- Ghadimi P., Azadnia A.H., Yusof N.M. and Saman M.Z.M. (2012), A Weighted Fuzzy Approach for Product Sustainability Assessment: A Case Study in Automotive Industry, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 33, 10-21.
- GRI (Global Reporting Initiative) (2006), Sustainability Reporting Guidelines, Version 3.0, 2000-2006 GRI, http://www.globalreporting.org.
- Heijungs R., Huppes G. and Guinee J.B. (2010), Life Cycle Assessment and Sustainability Analysis of Products, Materials and Technologies: Toward a Scientific Framework for Sustainability Life Cycle Analysis, Polymer Degradation and Stability, Vol. 95, No. 3, 422-428.
- Herva M. and Roca E. (2013), Review of Combined Approaches and Multicriteria Analysis for Corporate Environmental Evaluation, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 39, 355-371.
- IChemE (2002), The Sustainability Metrics: Sustainable Development Progress Metrics Recommended for Use in the Process Industries, Institution of Chemical Engineers, Warwickshire.
- International Trade Administration (2007), How Does Commerce Define Sustainable Manufacturing? U.S. Department of Commerce, Available: http://www.trade.gov/competitiveness/sustainablemanufacturing/how_doc_de fines_SM.asp.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization) (1999), Environmental Management-Environmental Performance Evaluation-Guidelines, ISO 14031:1999(E), Geneva, Switzerland.
- Jaafar I.H. et al. (2007), Product Design for Sustainability: A New Assessment Methodology and Case Studies [in:] Handbook of Environmentally Conscious Mechanical Design, M. Kurtz (ed.), John Wiley & Sons, 25-65.
- Japan Science and Technology Agency (1995), A Systematic Analysis of Science and Technology in Japan, National Institute of Science and Technology Policy Report No. 37.
- Jayal A.D., Baburdeen F., Dillon O.W. Jr. and Jawahir I. S. (2010), Sustainable Manufacturing: Modelling and Optimization Challenges at the Product, Process and System Levels, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 3, 144-152.
- Joung C.B., Carrell J., Sarkar P. and Feng S.C. (2013), Categorization of Indicators for Sustainable Manufacturing, Ecological Indicators, Vol. 24, 148-157.
- Krajnc D. and Glavic P. (2005), A Model for Integrated Assessment of Sustainable Development, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Vol. 43, No. 2, 189-208.
- Labuschagne C., Brent A.C. and van Erck R.P.G. (2005), Assessing the Sustainability Performances of Industries, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 13, No. 4, 373-385.
- Lozano R. (2012), Towards Better Embedding Sustainability into Companies' Systems: An Analysis of Voluntary Corporate Initiatives, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 25, 14-26.
- Ocampo L.A. and Clark E.E. (2014a), Developing a Framework for Manufacturing Strategies Selection, DLSU Business & Economics Review, Vol. 23, No. 2, 115-131.
- Ocampo L.A. and Clark E.E. (2014b), An AHP-MOLP Approach on Prioritizing Competitive Strategies toward Sustainable Business, International Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management, Vol. 5, No. 2, 95-106.
- OECD CEI (2003), OECD Environmental Indicators: Development, Measurement and Use, OECD Environmental Performance and Information Division, http://www.pecd.org/env.
- Promentilla M.A.B., Furuichi T., Ishii K. and Tanikawa N. (2006a), Evaluation of Remedial Countermeasures Using the Analytic Network Process, Waste Management, Vol. 26, No. 12, 1410-1421.
- Promentilla M.A.B., Furuichi T., Ishii K. and Tanikawa N. (2006b), A Prioritization Method Using Hierarchicalal Network Model for Multi-criteria Evaluation of Remedial Countermeasures, Doboku Gakkai Ronbunshuu G, Vol. 62, No. 3, 308-324.
- Promentilla M.A.B., Furuichi T., Ishii K. and Tanikawa N. (2008), A Fuzzy Analytic Network Process for Multi-criteria Evaluation of Contaminated Site Remedial Countermeasures, Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 88, No. 3, 479-495.
- Saaty T.L. (1980), The Analytic Hierarchy Process, McGraw-Hill, New York, USA.
- Saaty T.L. (2001), Decision Making with Dependence and Feedback: The Analytic Network Process, 2nd ed., RWS Publications, Pittsburg, USA.
- SAM Index (2007), The Dow Jones Sustainability Index, http:www.sustainability -index.com.
- Schmidt W. and Taylor A. (2006), Ford of Europe's Product Sustainability Index, Proceedings of 13th CIRP International Conference on Life Cycle Engineering, Leuven, Belgium, 5-10.
- Silva N. de, Jawahir I.S., Dillon Jr. O. and Russell M. (2009), A New Comprehensive Methodology for the Evaluation of Product Sustainability at the Design and Development Stage of Consumer Electronic Products, International Journal of Sustainable Manufacturing, Vol. 1, No. 3, 251-264.
- Singh R.K., Murty H.R., Gupta S.K. and Dikshit A.K. (2007), Development of Composite Sustainability Performance Index for Steel Industry, Ecological Indicators, Vol. 7, No. 3, 565-588.
- SMIR (2011), Sustainable Manufacturing Indicator Repository, http://www.nist. gov/el/msid/smir.cfm.
- Spangenberg J.H. and Bonniot O. (2007), Sustainability Indicators - A Compass on the Road towards Sustainability, Wuppertal Paper No 81, 1998 UN-CSD (the United Nations Committee on Sustainable Development) Indicators of Sustainable Development: Guidelines and Methodologies, 3rd ed., The United Nations, New York, http://www.un.org/esa/sustdev/natlinfo/indicators/ guidelines.pdf.
- Tseng M.L., Chiang J.H. and Lan L.W. (2009a), Selection of Optimal Supplier in Supply Chain Management Strategy with Analytic Network Process and Choquet Integral, Computers and Industrial Engineering, Vol. 57, No. 1, 330-340.
- Tseng M.L., Divinagracia L. and Divinagracia R. (2009b), Evaluating Firm's Sustainable Production Indicators in Uncertainty, Computers and Industrial Engineering, Vol. 57, No. 4, 1393-1403.
- Tseng M.L., Chen Y.H. and Geng Y. (2012), Integrated Model of Hot Spring Service Quality Perceptions under Uncertainty, Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 12, No. 8, 2352-2361.
- UN-CSD (the United Nations Committee on Sustainable Development) (2007), Indicators of Sustainable Development: Guidelines and Methodologies, 3rd ed., The United Nations, New York, http://www.un.org/esa/sustdev/natlinfo/ indicators/guidelines.pdf.
- Vinodh S. and Jeya Girubha R. (2012), PROMETHEE Based Sustainable Concept Selection, Applied Mathematical Modelling, Vol. 36, No. 11, 5301-5308.
- Walmart Sustainability Product Index (2009), http://walmartstores.com/ download/3863.pdf.